Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

new owner from Canada

Hello all,

I just pulled the trigger today on a 16gb asus transformer using the staples 2 stacked coupons worth $50. I have a few questions

1. Now anyone here have a list of must-have free apps,
    2. easiest way to update to firmware 3.1,
    3. best case for it that I can get on ebay since am in Canada
    4. am told the charging cable is short and I need to buy a usb 3.0 extension cable longer
    5. how do I connect it to my 55" plasma tv
    6. has anyone got VLC to work on it

sorry about all the questions

cheers

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    365 times
    Welcome to the forum!!! Glad to have you!!!

Check out the apps section for several lists of must have and tablet optimized apps.

Check the settings menu and then about tablet. Update may be there waiting for you.

No too many case options availabe right now. Check out the master list in the accessories section.

Go to monoprice.com and pick yourself up a USB 3.0 extension.

The other two I will leave for others.

Sent from my Droid X

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    just got mine today too!!!...also in Canada, Victoria, BC to be exact

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Welcome to the forum! You are in the right place my friend.

To connect to your TV, you will need a miniHDMI male to HDMI make cable of length or an minHDMI to HDMI adapter and a standard HDMI to HDMI cable. If it is a TV with auto-detect on the HDMI you may need to manually select which HDMI source it is to make it work. This is definitely the case with the latest Sony TV's.

VLC does work, however it needs to have VLC running as a media server on another computer on the network. I personally have transferred my videos (XViD avi) to a microSD card and then play them on the TF using MoboPlayer or VitalPlayer. I have heard that the latest version of ES File Explorer will allow streaming of many types of video files over the network. My TF is out for RMA at the current time so I cannot verify how well this works.

As far as cases, that is totally up to what you are looking for. There are lots of reviews in the accessories section so poke around and see if something catches your eye. I have a Wenger/Swiss Gear netbook case from Wal-Mart for mine and an Arkon tablet stand as well. There are some leather padfolio cases that work with the tablet, and others that work with the tablet and dock. What Garemlin likes may be different than my preference and you may totally disagree with both of us.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    I bought this cover off of eBay.

Black Leather Case For Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 - eBay (item 330579333965 end time Jun-24-11 11:24:13 PDT)

Very happy so far with it. Cost less than $20
    ASUS N61JQ-B1
    ASUS TF101 32GB

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks...I have just a similar case from a us retailer and expect it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    Welcome to the forum! You are in the right place my friend.

To connect to your TV, you will need a miniHDMI male to HDMI make cable of length or an minHDMI to HDMI adapter and a standard HDMI to HDMI cable. If it is a TV with auto-detect on the HDMI you may need to manually select which HDMI source it is to make it work. This is definitely the case with the latest Sony TV's.

VLC does work, however it needs to have VLC running as a media server on another computer on the network. I personally have transferred my videos (XViD avi) to a microSD card and then play them on the TF using MoboPlayer or VitalPlayer. I have heard that the latest version of ES File Explorer will allow streaming of many types of video files over the network. My TF is out for RMA at the current time so I cannot verify how well this works.

As far as cases, that is totally up to what you are looking for. There are lots of reviews in the accessories section so poke around and see if something catches your eye. I have a Wenger/Swiss Gear netbook case from Wal-Mart for mine and an Arkon tablet stand as well. There are some leather padfolio cases that work with the tablet, and others that work with the tablet and dock. What Garemlin likes may be different than my preference and you may totally disagree with both of us.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    689 times
    Welcome, Toopence! See, you came to the right place! These guys are so very QUICK to answer all your questions. (But it is a totally different result when their wives hand them their honey-do list!!)

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    Welcome to the forum Canadians! Glad to have you both. Please look around at the different sections for tips and helps and feel free to ask away when you get stumped.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    722 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrumm49 View Post
    Welcome, Toopence! See, you came to the right place! These guys are so very QUICK to answer all your questions. (But it is a totally different result when their wives hand them their honey-do list!!)
    Speak for yourself 49. I'm Johnny on the spot with the honey do list! Now where did I put that list.....
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrumm49 View Post
    I agree with Mickey. Now if my wife would just log into my ToodleDo account and add the tasks there they would show up in my Outlook, my TF and my iPhone and they would get done. 49, you are going to have to get used to having a honeydo list. You have not had to deal with that for 6 weeks....LUCKY!

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links