Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times

Lightbulb Installing a Micro SD card in a Transfomer Prime

I had great difficulty inserting a Micro SD Card into a Transformer Prime so I thought I would post my experience.

First the Micro SD cards are extremely fragile. If the card is improperly inserted and gets stuck it is extremely hard to get out without damaging it. It is best to use your fingernail or if that doesn't work a needle to remove it. Tweezers or needle nose pliers will probably
    damage the card.

Second, I found it extremely difficult to properly insert the card. Asus doesn't provide any documentation and I couldn't find anything on the Web to help. Asus did a very poor job designing the slot for the card. There are six ways the card can be inserted in the slot and five of them are improper. Further, if the card is inserted improperly it is extremely difficult to remove. It took me approximately an hour to finally get the card properly installed and working. I broke the first card trying to remove it with needle node pliers. Don't try that. It seems that just inserting the card without great care will always end up with card improperly inserted and difficult to remove. If you remove the protective insert by pushing down on it, it will spring out a ways and you can remove it. Shining a bright light into the slot you can see the three ways the card can be inserted, two of which are improper.

To insert the card do the following:

1. Power Off the Tablet.

2. Remove the Micro SD protective insert by pushing down on it. If it was properly installed at the factory it should spring up a ways
    where you can grab it and remove it. If it doesn't spring out use a needle to pry it out.

3. You can shine a bright light into the slot to see what is looks like and choose how you plan to insert it.

4. It is useful to copy some files on the Micro SD card before inserting it to test the card to see if its working and to have something on
    the card when it it inserted to see if it's working on the tablet. You can buy a USB MicroSD reader that works on a PC or Mac for 6-7
    dollars.

5. Insert the card into the slot. The proper orientation for the card is with the contacts of the card facing down toward the back of the tablet.

There is a spring mechanism in the card slot that is used to eject the card. To eject the card you push down on the card and the spring
    releases the card and pushes it out far enough to where it can be grabbed and removed.

You can tell when the card is properly installed because pushing on it will cause it to partially eject. If pushing on it doesn't partially eject
    eject it, it is installed improperly and will have to be removed and reinserted. You will probably have to use a needle to remove it without
    damaging it.

As you install it you can tell if it is being installed correctly by testing for springiness. If it's almost flush with the case and not springy it's
    not installing correctly.

When the card is properly istalled it is flush with the case and pushing on it will cause it to partially eject.

I found it extremely difficult to install the card properly. It took over an hour of fiddling with it before I could get it installed and working.
    I don't think doing it a second time would be much easier. You should probably not plan on removing and inserting it a lot.

Once the card is installed you can verify that is installed correctly and working by doing the following:

1. Power up the tablet.

2. Go to File Manager.

3. There should be two entries under My Storage in the left Pane

Internal Storage
    MicroSD

4. Selecting MicroSD should bring up the inserted Micro SD file system.

There are three options on the top of the right pane that allow you to select the removable SD card and the internal SD card although
    it is not clear to me exactly how they work. They seem to behave rather strangely.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    689 times
    Welcome to the forum!, John. I'm unsure why you are going through such difficulties inserting micro cards? I own the TF101 and the Infinity (which is basically the Prime) and inserting micro cards hasn't been a problem. Even my wife has the hang of it. To insert: just look, push, click, done. To eject: (get the wife because she has long nails) push in, springs out (hold with thumb and index finger so it doesn't shoot across room), done.

My micros are PNY and Sandisk ranging from 32GB to 64GB. Are you using cheap micros from fly by night internet sites?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    The writing on the MicroSD card should be on top, pins are on bottom. "Notched" side facing top of screen. [So writing on card is facing away from you] Pin side is inserted into the tablet.

There is a graphic on the side of the Transformer next to the slot as well.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    There is no graphic on my Transformer TF201 and I'm using Sandisk 32 GB Micro SD cards. Since there is no documentation how does one know whether the protective insert is a protective insert or a protective flap.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrumm49 View Post
    ...To insert: just look, push, click, done.
    To eject: (get the wife because she has long nails) push in, springs out (hold with thumb and index finger so it doesn't shoot across room), done.
    That's just what I do, too.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times

Re: Installing a Micro SD card in a Transfomer Prime

Thank you for the valuable information.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links