Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Smile hello! Just got a TF101. some questions.

Hi, I just got a TF101 yesterday for Christmas and I have a couple of questions as I am new to Android altogether. The tablet didn't come with any in-depth instructions so I had to figure a lot of stuff out for myself using google.
    Question 1: Is there a way that I can close an app so it doesn't hide/run. I am really picky about that kind of stuff and hate when there is an app that keeps on running when it kills battery and memory. For example, I was browsing the internet and I tried closing it with the home and back button at the lower left corner of the screen but when i re-open the browser all my previous stuff is still there. This stuff really makes me cringe because I like having stuff organized and clean.
    Question 2: What is the icon next to the home button? I tapped on it and it brought up all these clustered windows that I am not sure about. When I rebooted the tablet and pressed that box over box looking icon, nothing showed up anymore so I'm guessing that it has to do with the programs that are currently running.
    Question 3: There are a lot of stock apps that I don't need. How do I permanently kill them off the tablet if there is a way?
    Question 4: Would it be better to shut down or put it to sleep when not using it? Would that depend on the time frame between not using it?
    Question 5: What is the difference between MyNet and the individual apps like Music, Video, and Gallery?
    I am very sorry if I seem really picky. As I said before I like things organized. If anyone in the community can help me out I would gladly appreciate it. Thanks!
    Last edited by Carboneless; 12-26-2011 at 12:22 PM. Reason: I just had to add another question

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Congrats and welcome to the forum.

Question 1 - This is not a proper computer OS, it is managed much better. A PC or Mac will let you open programs until it runs out of memory. Android (and iOS) will manage the memory for you. It shuts down apps when it needs memory. No need to X out of apps. If you open a bunch of apps, then go back to your browser, it will remember the page but have to reload. It stores them on memory that takes very little power to keep it there. Here is an article to help out:
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...-need-one.html

Question 2 - This button is "Recent Apps". Do not confuse this with "Running Apps". This only is a reference to what you have used recently. Some may still be running, but most will not be. Only way to clear it as you found is to reboot. Some custom ROM's allow you to X out of these, and ICS may allow this as well.

Question 3 - Stock apps cannot be removed unless you root (see my signature for questions about rooting if you are not sure about it). Best advice is to remove them from your home screen (long press and drag to the Remove icon on the top right hand corner). They will still be in the App drawer, but just do not use them. Removing them will hinder future updates from ASUS to newer versions of the OS.

Question 4 - This is the question of the century. I leave mine in airplane mode asleep, only lose about 1-2% battery every 8 hours. Others choose to shut it down. WIth boot times around 30-60 seconds, not a huge deal to wait if you do shut down.

Question 5 - MyNet is to play music to and from a network player (DLNA server/player). Music plays music that you have on your device, microSD, USB or SD card as well as on the google music clound (music.google.com). Video is an app to play videos that you download from the market. Gallery is a picture and video viewer (videos that you brought from your PC, such as a .mp4 DVD rip). With MyNet you can play videos and movies that are on your computer and are shared via Windows Media Player if it is set up to share the content. The other apps cannot play network media without the assistance of another app.

Question 5 is a bit confusing, please let me know if you need more details.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    337 times
    Hello Carboneless and welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new tablet!!!

Since you are totally new to android might I suggest reading all you can first. It will answer a ton of questions and help you learn about android. Then come back for more specifics. The mods and rescue squad leaders have some very useful links in their signatures. A great place to start. Check out Leeshor's and especially Frederuco's-RS team leader- links- he has great "new to android stuff".

Android works in a totally different way from windows or apple ios. If you can get a handle on that, you're more than halfway there to understanding and getting the most out of your tablet. Enjoy!
    Kgs Original Transformer with dock- rooted (TF 101)- USA

nook & libre pro e-readers-asus vivobook- samsung orig. galaxy note- Galaxy Note 8- asus TF 101 and dock with 4.4 kitkat- Iphone 5s- galaxy Mega
    "Never be afraid to try, but always know where your back-up is when you screw up!"

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Wow! That was fast, Thanks! I completely understand about the whole killing apps thing. I have a lot more trust in the tablet now. The only reason I asked about the sleep/shutdown was because I didn't know if it was the same with tablets. And surprisingly I understand everything about Question 5 now. I just have one question about the whole cloud thing. Theoretically speaking, Is it just basically like an invisible external hard-drive that's in the sky/clouds that lets you access all your files?

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Exactly (on the cloud thing)

I have my music pushed from iTunes (ugh) to google music. I can play any song from anywhere as long as I have Internet.

Check the first 3 links in my sig. For some info for noobs.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok thanks!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links