Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Closing websites and apps?

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Closing websites and apps?

Hi all
    I am a new user with Windows based experience. I have a steep learning curve here. I got the Transformer so I could teach others to use Android based devices. I work in a public library and teach the technology classes.

Since my experience is totally Windows based, I am wondering how to close or exit out of an app or webpage? After use for a while, I see that I have a ton of things still open and have to turn the tablet off to clear them out. Is there a red X somewhere or is this even important in Honeycomb?

You folk teach me and I will teach others.
    Thanks
    Joan

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    365 times
    Welcome to the forum!!! Glad to have you!!!

I wouldn't worry too much about the apps not closing. Android does a fine job of closing unused tasks to free up resources. If you have a pesky app that will just not close go to

settings>applications>manage applications>running>(pick application)>stop

if that doesn't work

settings>applications>manage applications>all>(pick application)>force stop

To close web pages click the X on all of the tabs that are open in the browser. Simple as that.
    Last edited by Garemlin; 06-04-2011 at 12:04 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    What Garemlin said is normally correct... however there are times you can (and may want) to exit an app. Almost always these apps will run in the background for a specific reason. (Since you are a Windows user think of it as an app with a corresponding Service running in the background).

For example GPS based apps like Google Navigator will continue to run in the background and track your position using the GPS (note this is only when you are routing to somewhere). The only way to stop it from running in the background is tell it to stop routing or to exit via the menu.

So while what Garemlin said is correct for most apps, there are some that allows you to exit them via their menus. It just depends on the app.
    sulman likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    365 times
    Quote Originally Posted by denbo View Post
    What Garemlin said is normally correct... however there are times you can (and may want) to exit an app. Almost always these apps will run in the background for a specific reason. (Since you are a Windows user think of it as an app with a corresponding Service running in the background).

For example GPS based apps like Google Navigator will continue to run in the background and track your position using the GPS (note this is only when you are routing to somewhere). The only way to stop it from running in the background is tell it to stop routing or to exit via the menu.

So while what Garemlin said is correct for most apps, there are some that allows you to exit them via their menus. It just depends on the app.

Very true. But apps that actually have an actual exit option in their menus are few and far between. I usually just back out unless I have noticed that they have an exit or close option.
    edinmis likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    thanks, That is what I needed to hear.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Garemlin View Post
    Very true. But apps that actually have an actual exit option in their menus are few and far between. I usually just back out unless I have noticed that they have an exit or close option.
    True Garemlin that was why I mentioned that what you said was correct for most apps.

PS. Go Blue Hens...

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    365 times
    True Garemlin that was why I mentioned that what you said was correct for most apps.

PS. Go Blue Hens...
    I have never figured out why some developers don't code in an exit option to their apps. Seems like it would be easy enough.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Garemlin View Post
    I have never figured out why some developers don't code in an exit option to their apps. Seems like it would be easy enough.
    Google states it isn't necessary since hitting the Back button in an App will do the same as what an Exit menu item would do (which is clean up all items and call the Activity.finish() method).

Google promotes apps to behave well by following the app lifecycle Activity | Android Developers

If an app behaves as it is supposed to, there should not be a need for an exit menu item. That said... Google Navigation does have an 'Exit Navigation' menu item that closes the app down. Go figure.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    365 times
    Google states it isn't necessary since hitting the Back button in an App will do the same as what an Exit menu item would do (which is clean up all items and call the Activity.finish() method).

Google promotes apps to behave well by following the app lifecycle Activity | Android Developers

If an app behaves as it is supposed to, there should not be a need for an exit menu item. That said... Google Navigation does have an 'Exit Navigation' menu item that closes the app down. Go figure.

That is a big ole "IF". In a perfect world all apps would behave like they should. If they did none of us would have ever heard the term Force Close. LOL

Spamcepticon
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    19 times
    Apps not in use sit idle and don't run. Free ram is useless on android as the extra ram is not used elsewhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links