Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: ICS tf101 reboots - The definitive thread!

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    862 times
    My gosh...

My Senior College Thesis wasn't that long....and it had a clear point.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA WIN 8.1 & ASUS TF101 ANDROID TABLETS

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    My gosh...

Tl:dr;

1. Asus isn't the only party "at fault", while responsible to the customer the issues are a result of Android not yet being mature and the complexities involved (of OS + hardware + changing component & embedded programming + third party hardware & driver dependancies + third party apps programming and quality). We do however have Asus as the only "visible" party available to us, which makes sense since they sold the tablets to us, and while I am convinced they are now on the ball it does not hurt to remember for a moment that Asus too depends on others, much like we depend on Asus. They carry the responsability to their customers, but sofar in its history Asus does have a record of taking that responsability (much more often than not).

2. It sucks for all of us affected, direly, and it something all parties involved will have to draw lessons from. I do think that Asus is already doing so, but unfortunately the results of this will have to wait for the work being done. Which is only natural.

3. But commercial necessity dictates we will get a patch which will address the most visible issues. That this is being worked on seriously is already visible in the initiatives Asus has ongoing with user testing groups and their communications with those.

4. After that most of us should have a stable unit for normal use again, but a further patch probably timed with another OS update can be expected. Asus does have a reasonable history of learning from mistakes, and it is not a company that wants to diminish itself so while there are natural (commercial) limitations that do apply I do not doubt that they have this as a definite focus.

5. If current circumstances have to be prevented from happening again, both OS Vendor and OEM's & suppliers are going to have to mature the Android market.

And to include a little pun ...

6. All of this has happened before, but it does not have to happen again. OS Vendor and all others can simply look at how the PC computing industry went through this, and not make the same mistakes.

Better?
    Last edited by macmeijers; 04-08-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    As I've said in other threads on this my TF101 was reset to the factory factory settings following the instructions on this site to the letter. I didn't install any apps from the market at all and still got the reboot and crashes. My TF is unusable at this point and has been since ICS... I do keep turning it on to check updates and just in the hopes it has stopped (well I can dream can't I ;o)

But one big issue is as many of us draw near the end of our warranties what happens at that point since it wasn't anything we did and ASUS can hardly deny there's a problem at what point does this become an issue for Trading Standards (In the U.K) or similar body?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin412 View Post
    As I've said in other threads on this my TF101 was reset to the factory factory settings following the instructions on this site to the letter. I didn't install any apps from the market at all and still got the reboot and crashes. My TF is unusable at this point and has been since ICS... I do keep turning it on to check updates and just in the hopes it has stopped (well I can dream can't I ;o)

But one big issue is as many of us draw near the end of our warranties what happens at that point since it wasn't anything we did and ASUS can hardly deny there's a problem at what point does this become an issue for Trading Standards (In the U.K) or similar body?
    Unfortunately the UK has not validated a number of European Guidelines in regards to consumer protection so in the UK you'll be very limited in regards to what you can do. For those on the continent its easier, as there you can make a claim based on the full two years of warranty and liability on a basis of reasonable use and prevention of by cause of the manufacturer (this supercedes the terms and conditions of the manufacturer and vendor alike always).

Keep in mind though, that after a specific term (varies a bit per member state but usually a year but can be as short as six months) the responsability for making the case and providing documentation to support it rests with the customer. The point of claim is always the vendor, not the manufacturer, this is also important as if you bypass that and make a claim to liability with the manufacturer you end up in a completely different ballgame.

I guess for the Dutch among us it is easiest as its consumer protection laws not only accept the European Guideline into law, but extend this in context of reasonable use for expected product lifetime under reasonable use. Surpassing the two years as such. And if you have a legal assistance insurance (which is pretty cheap there) they handle the process with a minimal fee.

That being said, while I fully understand the concern (and reasons for) I do think that Asus will get on top (so to speak). It is a personal decision though, I would not blame anyone for returning the product as that is always a personal decision. It just depends on national consumer protection laws & regulations. As for making a claim for warranty after the local term limits, that is tricky. I don't think Asus would make a problem out of it. There's been cases with Asus products where there were some issues "along the way" and Asus in some cases extended warranty, and in others simply chose to not make a fuss about someone showing up with an issue for said product some time after the end of warranty. But yes, it is a risk to take, so a highly personal decision.

Truth be told, while it will be difficult to point to "a" specific culprit for the issues (as it is a combination of OS Vendor, OEM, Suppliers, etc - highly complex) the responsible party for the consumer (at least in the EU and for this part it includes the UK) that is Asus, through the vendor of the unit to the customer (point of contact for returns, claims, etc, within the limits of applicable consumer protection law terms & requirements). That responsability on a legal level is clear. It is an Asus product, and the cause of the issue(s) is not relevant to the customer for as far as the customer can demonstrate that he or she did not cause it. Now you as a customer did not put the update together, nor did you deploy it to Asus customers. Ergo.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by macmeijers View Post
    Hehe. I still suspect some of these TF101's of trying to go Skynet on us while we sleep :P
    Yes, first step is to generate a white or pink sound to bring us in DEEP sleep and after that go Skynet But here come the Asus bug! Transformer goes in DEEP sleep too and never come back. We do! So humans are superior on machines, we don't need to see Matrix to know this.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    **DEVICE**
    Phone model: Transformer TF101
    Android version: 4.0.3 (ICS) - testing .24
    Build number: HTK75.WW_epad-8.6.5.19
    Total memory: 29852422144

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    My gosh...

LOL!! I was waiting for the part where Asus and Beowulf fight in the forest. The epic continues.... in theatres... 2013.
    blreis likes this.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2223 times
    Quote Originally Posted by macer View Post
    LOL!! I was waiting for the part where Asus and Beowulf fight in the forest. The epic continues.... in theatres... 2013.
    Hey, macer, some of just take more time to write lengthy posts (who, sir? - me, sir? )
    But yes, mac does certainly make the most of his word count

No disrespect at all to you mac, your contributions are appreciated, but a *little* shorter would make them even *more* appreciated

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ Android Guides - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Hey, macer, some of just take more time to write lengthy posts (who, sir? - me, sir? )
    But yes, mac does certainly make the most of his word count

No disrespect at all to you mac, your contributions are appreciated, but a *little* shorter would make them even *more* appreciated
    When have I ever made a long post? :-)

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    862 times
    Quote Originally Posted by macmeijers View Post
    Tl:dr;

1. Asus isn't the only party "at fault", while responsible to the customer the issues are a result of Android not yet being mature and the complexities involved (of OS + hardware + changing component & embedded programming + third party hardware & driver dependancies + third party apps programming and quality). We do however have Asus as the only "visible" party available to us, which makes sense since they sold the tablets to us, and while I am convinced they are now on the ball it does not hurt to remember for a moment that Asus too depends on others, much like we depend on Asus. They carry the responsability to their customers, but sofar in its history Asus does have a record of taking that responsability (much more often than not).

2. It sucks for all of us affected, direly, and it something all parties involved will have to draw lessons from. I do think that Asus is already doing so, but unfortunately the results of this will have to wait for the work being done. Which is only natural.

3. But commercial necessity dictates we will get a patch which will address the most visible issues. That this is being worked on seriously is already visible in the initiatives Asus has ongoing with user testing groups and their communications with those.

4. After that most of us should have a stable unit for normal use again, but a further patch probably timed with another OS update can be expected. Asus does have a reasonable history of learning from mistakes, and it is not a company that wants to diminish itself so while there are natural (commercial) limitations that do apply I do not doubt that they have this as a definite focus.

5. If current circumstances have to be prevented from happening again, both OS Vendor and OEM's & suppliers are going to have to mature the Android market.

And to include a little pun ...

6. All of this has happened before, but it does not have to happen again. OS Vendor and all others can simply look at how the PC computing industry went through this, and not make the same mistakes.

Better?
    Well at least I didn't have to set my watch back an hour to read that post.

Much better.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA WIN 8.1 & ASUS TF101 ANDROID TABLETS

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    23 times
    iOf 10 people I know that have Transformers... all 10 have the same issue. 3 of which RMA'd theirs in order to have it fixed... all 3 of which had a Transformer returned... updated... and had the same issue. Sorry but this is BS. I can't help but consider that Asus is absolutely lying and they know there is a major problem here but will not admit it. As such I am grabbing the paperwork and filing in small claims court to get my money back.

Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Ads