Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: [HOWTO UPDATE - WHEN ALL ELSE FAIL]Update to ICS and other major firmware updates

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticyeshua View Post
    Does this mean that nvflash will now work with TF101 SBKv2 devices? Or will we flash it back to stock some other way? Can you PM me a link? I haven't seen anything regarding SBK v2 code getting cracked.
    Yup, they cracked it. Nvflash works for both now. I doubt that you'll need it, though. I've pushed both v1 and v2 to their limits and beyond and I haven't bricked them yet.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    bookmarked it. thanks a lot! +like

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    54 times
    I just got my TF101 back from an RMA. I sent it with ICS 4.0.3 and it came back as HC 3.0.1
    It shows no updates available. I downloaded the 5 .rar files, can I simply do an upgrade the HC with those and then do the ICS upgrade? Or should I do the entire rooting thing? This is still under warranty and I'd rather not root but if I must...
    Thanks
    scott

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    54 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scottporter View Post
    I just got my TF101 back from an RMA. I sent it with ICS 4.0.3 and it came back as HC 3.0.1
    It shows no updates available. I downloaded the 5 .rar files, can I simply do an upgrade the HC with those and then do the ICS upgrade? Or should I do the entire rooting thing? This is still under warranty and I'd rather not root but if I must...
    Thanks
    scott
    Not only can't I do the above, because the version of HC 3.0.1 Asus put on my RMA'd TF101 will not recognize that updates are available from my microSD card.

And I can't do the root thing because I am using a Mac and have NO copy of windows to use with VirtualBox.

And the file Asus told me to use from the support site will not work on my microSD card either.

So a second RMA to fix what Asus broke.

Please excuse if this is in the wrong thread.

scott

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    The files that are in the .rar have to be combined. You will have to Google how to combine them and get them to be a .zip file for it to work. There are also plenty of ways to root with a MAC. One of the easiest ways that comes to mind would be Linux in a virtualBox setup. If you look over at the XDA site you should be able to find a way to do so in Linux (I find Windows tools difficult compared to command line Linux stuff).
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    54 times
    [QUOTE=bfmetcalf;206821]The files that are in the .rar have to be combined. You will have to Google how to combine them and get them to be a .zip file for it to work. There are also plenty of ways to root with a MAC. One of the easiest ways that comes to mind would be Linux in a virtualBox setup. If you look over at the XDA site you should be able to find a way to do so in Linux (I find Windows tools difficult compared to command line Linux stuff).[/QUOTE

I have been combining .rar files and uncompressing them for years. The rooting foils me and once I have a valid zip file on my FAT32 16GB microSD card the TF fails to update. It matters not if in the Asus folder or not. I can see the fil with File Manager. The TF is being obstinate and is boxed for return to Asus.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    SL101
    Liked
    0 times
    Does this also work with the Slider ? SL101? if not can some one tell me where i can find the steps to downgrade to HC from ICS. I have been searching for ever and getting no where.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    SL101
    Liked
    0 times
    Can anyone confirm that this procedure to root device works for the slider SL101.
    Android version 4.0.3
    build number: IM74K.US_epad-9.2.1.27.1

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    It should work just fine. The sl101 and tf101 are pretty close to the same tablet.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

Error /system/bin/su: not found

Thanks for putting this tutorial together. It is so helpful.

I am trying to root my Asus TF101. It is running stock 4.0.3 Android. I did an OTA update a long time ago. But for the past 6 weeks or so the bottom navigation bar/system bar (not sure exactly what it is called, but the bottom bar that has the back and home buttons, etc.) has disappeared and I can't get it to ever come back. I had updated several apps one night and the next morning when I turned it on the bar was missing. I uninstalled everything that had been updated the night before. but that didn't help. Reboots, factory resets, etc haven't done anything either. It comes up and I get the "Unfortunately, System UI has stopped." error.

I have followed through the steps on your tutorial to root it. It appears to not root, and it looks like it fails because su isn't on the system so it can't complete what it needs to do. It is in the folder on my desktop. I am not sure why it didn't copy it over to the tablet. I see the following error when I run the viperMOD script:

Step 2 - Exploiting...

Step 3 - Installing busybox...
    /data/local/installbusybox[6]: /system/bin/su: not found
    /data/local/root[6]: su: not found
    Step 4 - Cleaning up...

Once your Prime reboots, it will be rooted! Enjoy

It then reboots but when it comes back up, it is not rooted, and I get an error telling me that when I try to run the RecoveryInstaller app.

Any help on what I could do to fix things and get it to work? Is there something I a missing. I re-ran through all the steps multiple times thinking I missed something. But I seem to be stuck. So I would greatly appreciate any help you could offer.

I was 100% confident I could fix the system UI stopping problem once I found this tutorial, but now I am starting to get worried that maybe I have something else going on that might not be fixable.
    Again, thanks for all your help, and sorry I couldn't get this figured out on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    [Edit - 3/21/2012 - You people killed my box cloud account bandwidth! I had no idea this many of you would be downloading my files. There goes my 10gig monthly bandwidth. Anyway, I've put them on a new server. Try not to break that server, too.]

There is a tiny portion of TF's out there that won't update for whatever reason, may it be corrupted framework files or stock recovery. The following process will sure to get your TF to update. Do not get intimidated by the number of steps involved. The instructions are written for tech dummies, so everything is spelled out for ease of understanding.

Part 0

(1) Go to the following website.

ASUS - Eee- ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101

(2) Choose android.

(3) Download the latest WW, US, TW, etc. version you need.

(4) Unzip that file. Inside, you will probably find a folder called update. Inside that folder, you will find another zip file. Keep this zip file.

(5) Place this zip file in the root of your micro sd card.

(6) Insert micro sdcard into your TF.

Part I-B (If you are currently on ICS)

(1) Download the following zip files.

viperMOD PrimeTime v4.5
    apps

(2) Unzip. Place the unzipped folders on your desktop.

Part II-B (ICS)

(1) Connect your TF to your computer.

Part III-B (ICS)

(1) Double click "viperMOD Primer Tool v4.5 - Copy.bat".

(2) Choose #1 only!

(3) Follow instructions on the screen.

Part IV

(1) Congrats. You are now rooted.

(2) Transfer the folder "apps" into your TF.

(3) Install those 2 apps found in the folder.

(4) Open up the app "superuser". Then go back to your homescreen.

(5) Open up the app recovery installer. Press that big-ass button in the middle of the screen. Allow.

(6) Wait for your TF to restart completely.

(7) Turn off your TF.

(8) Turn on your TF by pressing and holding the power and volume down buttons together. As soon as you see white texts on the upper left hand corner of your TF, immediately release the power and volume down buttons and press the volume up button.

Part V (Final)

(1) You are now in what we call clockworkmod recovery.

(2) Use volume up and down buttons to navigate. To enter, press the power button.

(3) Wipe data and cache.

(4) Choose "Choose zip file from sd card".

(5) Navigate to the zip file you got from the asus website and choose it.

(6) Watch your TF install ICS.

(7) Once ICS finishes installing, go back and reboot system.

At this point, your system will reboot into ICS. You now have a non-rooted ICS stock rom and stock recovery.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links