Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: [HOWTO UPDATE - WHEN ALL ELSE FAIL]Update to ICS and other major firmware updates

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

This is my thinking

Quote Originally Posted by towers1209 View Post
    Count yourself lucky. Do not, I repeat, Do not take the chance for a greater possibility of bricking your TF101 by updating it it ICS unless, of course, you have a spare Honeycomb transformer.

Better wait for the upcoming fix (or two).
    I'm trying to think of a good reason to risk my currently healthy system. Given my transformer works perfectly well at the moment I'm not really willing to take the risk.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickEB View Post
    I'm trying to think of a good reason to risk my currently healthy system. Given my transformer works perfectly well at the moment I'm not really willing to take the risk.
    If you were using windows xp and want to upgrade to windows 7, you have 2 options. You can either do a system upgrade with a windows 7 upgrade disc or you can do a clean install of windows 7.

Ask any techie or geek which way is better and you will always always always always get "do a clean install" as your answer.

Why? Because upgrading the entire system usually means the data and cache are carried over to the next version. In other words, there's bound to be incompatibilities at a system level. This creates system stability problems.

Upgrading from honeycomb to ICS is the same thing. Data and cache are carried over from the old to the new system. Some of the data are system data and can cause instabilities. This is why a factory reset or two solves the instability problems.

Sometimes, upgrading can result in corruption of a couple framework files. In which case, factory reset won't be enough. You need to do a clean install.

My own personal computing devices, including tablets, have never had any system instability issues. Why? Because I always do a clean install. I don't trust major upgrades, especially something as major as going from HC to ICS.

A few months ago I just did a clean install of windows 7 for someone I know. He had previously upgraded to windows 7 from vista. And he's been living with random reboots, freezes, and a whole hosts of other problems for months. It's been about 4 months since I did the clean install for him and the system has been performing flawlessly.

It's my opinion that software companies shouldn't even issue major upgrades such those that gives a device an entire new OS. They should always always always tell people how to backup properly and do a clean install.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post

It's my opinion that software companies shouldn't even issue major upgrades such those that gives a device an entire new OS. They should always always always tell people how to backup properly and do a clean install.
    There goes the Android advantage over iPad. :what:

Asus should simply start under-promising and over-delivering, instead of over-promising and under-delivering, most specially if there are factors or variables that could cause havoc beyond the company's control. (OOPS... I forgot that Asus was trying to impress Google in order to get the Google Nexus manufacturing contract.) Hopefully, a lot of lessons learned will be incorporated into Nexus' development, manufacturing and marketing...

>>Sent from my Transformer TF101 (powered with ICS) using Tapatalk 2<<
    Last edited by towers1209; 04-13-2012 at 04:04 PM.
    Sent from an electric brain (電腦) powered by one of the following OS:
    [1] Android ICS (Asus TF101, B60), (sometimes crappy) w Nvidia Tegra 2,
    [2] Win 7 (Asus 1215N), (rarely crappy) w Intel Atom, NexGen NVidia Ion,
    [3] WinXP (Acer AspireOne), (sometimes crappy) w Intel Atom
    ...But, I love them all anyway...

>>>WISHLIST: [1] TF700T, [2] TAICHI, [3] Mac Book Pro or Air (???) or Retina (???)<<<

=====( 11:11 )
    "Caminante, no hay camino, se hace camino al andar..."
    [Traveller, there is no path, you create the path as you move forward...]
    >Antonio Machado (1875-1939)<

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by towers1209 View Post
    There goes the Android advantage over iPad. :what:

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
    Well, not really. iOS upgraded to iOS 5 last year and people suffered and even higher rate of instabilities and crashes than are what's reported in android. This is why a recent study showed that iOS apps crash more often than android apps. Sure, we can blame incompatibilities, but in the end the number 1 cause for system instabilities are the imperfections that happened because of upgrade rather than clean install.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

turning off update firmware notification?

I have successfully downgrade my TFT101 to Honeycomb, but it keep asking me to update my firmware. Anyone know how to disable this notification? its so annoying if its keep poping up. thx

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by a53ng View Post
    I have successfully downgrade my TFT101 to Honeycomb, but it keep asking me to update my firmware. Anyone know how to disable this notification? its so annoying if its keep poping up. thx
    Settings apps all apps disable the client apps.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Trying to download Viper root (as outlined in the first post) and just get:

"Not Found
    The requested URL /android/viperboy/downloads/Prime/viperMOD PrimeTime v4.5.zip was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

I have tried a number of times (at different times) on different computers with different browsers - all with the same result.

I have also gone to the ViperBoy website and get the same result. I have sent a note about the link but no response or change in status so far.

Has anyone knowledge of another source for the Viper Root?

Cheers
    Geoff

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hardergm View Post
    Trying to download Viper root (as outlined in the first post) and just get:

"Not Found
    The requested URL /android/viperboy/downloads/Prime/viperMOD PrimeTime v4.5.zip was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

I have tried a number of times (at different times) on different computers with different browsers - all with the same result.

I have also gone to the ViperBoy website and get the same result. I have sent a note about the link but no response or change in status so far.

Has anyone knowledge of another source for the Viper Root?

Cheers
    Geoff
    Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I've uploaded to mediafire and fixed the link. You can now download.
    Scraps likes this.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello GoodIntentions,

I just registered into this forum to thank you for the great post. I successfully downgraded my TF101 to HC, your instructions are spot on. i had so many problems with ICS, one if which was a deal braker on which i could not see any embeded videos on pages, neither with the stock browsers nor with Google chrome etc. Others were, many of my applications were not working, PvZ, amoung others. So thank you for your time and support, i noticed how quicky you replaced the Viper Root link !!.

Have a great day
    javier.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    SL101
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm a middle aged mom of 3 and was able to figure out how to root my Slider based on your directions, GI. I can't thank you enough. I didn't try it at first because I wasn't sure it would work on my SL101 (.21) but it worked great. I even figured out that I didn't have (and needed) ADB, how to install it on my computer, set the PATH, etc...and then root my tablet. Thanks for being so detailed that even a total beginner like me could figure it out.

Lisa

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links