Like Tree5Likes

Thread: ICS bricked my TF

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Thumbs up ICS bricked my TF

well....this royally sucks.

After applying the ICS update a couple days ago, this morning I got up to watch a little Netflix.

1. Netflix was extremely laggy and slow

2. after about 3 minutes, my TF rebooted and now hangs on the ASAUS screen...TOTALLY LOCKED UP

CANT RESET OR POWER DOWN.

100% unresponsive tried docking and undocking..tried reset, tried holding power button down...nothing works

all my apps are up to date, this never happened before the update, I hardly ever got random reboots.

totally useless!

I hate this POS!

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Try holding VOLUME DOWN and POWER until you see some small text in the top left hand corner. Then release.

This will do a hard reset, no need to touch any other buttons. See if this fixes it.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I already tried a cold boot.

tried all reset methods, before posting.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    You should nvflash it back to honeycomb or try re-flashing with ICS. Thats what I would try in your situation.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jakobe View Post
    well....this royally sucks.

After applying the ICS update a couple days ago, this morning I got up to watch a little Netflix.

1. Netflix was extremely laggy and slow
    The Netflix app has a new version to download from the Android Market, specific to compatibility with the Ice Cream Sandwich version. I have used it 3 times over the weekend without issues.

2. after about 3 minutes, my TF rebooted and now hangs on the ASAUS screen...TOTALLY LOCKED UP

CANT RESET OR POWER DOWN.

100% unresponsive tried docking and undocking..tried reset, tried holding power button down...nothing works

all my apps are up to date, this never happened before the update, I hardly ever got random reboots.

totally useless!

I hate this POS!
    A POWER + VOLUME DOWN full reset has been stated as required after the update. There are number of folks who simple shut their units off and then back on....which is not the same thing as a full reset.

Literally thousands of people have successfull received the update without these reported problems.

Having followed numerous posts since the US release of Ice Cream Sandwich...the only reports from others users with your symptoms appear to be those who have not done the full reset after the update. I would recommend trying a full POWER OFF + VOLUME DOWN reset for about 14 seconds - or until the ASUS logo reappears.

One last possibility could come into play - incomparible apps on your Transformer. Over the past week, I have seen over 40 apps updated on my tablet via the Android Market notification, and 5 more were updated over this weekend since I downloaded and installed ICS - there are still many apps NOT compatible with ICS...so that too could be the source of your symptoms. You should try going to Android Market, press the down arrow in the upper right area of your screen that presents a full list of your apps...and then update any apps showing as needing an update.
    leeshor and GGS like this.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    you are right....its all because of the apps and nothing to do with the shoddy ICS rollout

how could I ever have thought ASUS was to blame.

I did a cold boot and it fixed my machine, restored all my data and even increased my band width from my ISP, and now when I press the power button now I get free HBO.

thanks for the help

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    20 times
    There are people in other threads who have stated they had the random reboots and did a full restore then did not install anything and yet still random reboot. There may be many incompatible apps but it sounds like ics problem. I'm trying to capture logs before and after reboots to see if I can find the issue.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2827 times
    you are right....its all because of the apps and nothing to do with the shoddy ICS rollout

I did a cold boot and it fixed my machine, restored all my data and even increased my band width from my ISP, and now when I press the power button now I get free HBO.

thanks for the help
    I feel for you genuinely. It is frustrating & upsetting when something like this happens. I do not believe you are really this aggressive with volunteer folks who are trying their best to help.

I can suggest a few things.
    1. Hold down the power button for up to 60 seconds TWICE (this is a trick from another android device)
    2. Assuming your device has now fully powered off because of battery drain, you may have to trickle charge it from your PC overnight before it will show any sort of charge & be able to accept a charge from the wall charger.
    3. Charge the tablet out of the dock,if you have one.
    4. AT YOUR OWN RISK you could open the case & physically "pull the plug" on your battery.

When you get some charge into it, I would perform a full factory reset via the hard reset key combination route.

Let us know how you get on, please. Politely would be nice.
    Last edited by janner43; 02-29-2012 at 08:46 AM.
    GGS likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times

thanks for the help
    Me thinks there is sarcasm in this post.

That said....apps in fact ARE proving to be the #1 source of the symptoms you reported, as reaffirmed by numerous other posters at this site. Most recently, even the almighty Angry Birds app has been shown to lock up at times under ICS, and was reported to have a pending app update soon.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    geez.....how many times will you guys suggest that I hold down THE ONLY BUTTON ON THE MACHINE to hold down?

yes of course this was the FIRST thing I did, but it did not work, I had to wait about 18 hours for the machine to die to be able to recharge and then reboot
    and guess what? Its still laggy I hate to type this forum post THREE TIMES. because the stock browser kept crashing.

Trust me ...it's not the apps or "angry birds". I have maybe 6 apps installed and angry birds or any other game isnt one of them...its all google and ASUS products as this machine is kept as close to OS as possible for web development purposes.

It's not a cold boot issue either...the problem is ICS just like the other folks all over the forums having randomn issues since loading ICS, as I have cold bootedd this device at least 10 tiimes in the past 5 days

force closes, reboots, locking, crashes, volumes issues, battery life issues, browser acting up,....

I honestly get tired of the folks here who say "WOW that is so strange you are having issues, Mine is smooth as butter..." or
    "There are thousands of users in the world who never complain on the forums....it must just be you"

the average user who bought this device as a entertainement device..probably doesnt even know the forums exist..not everyone is a die hard techie who MUST have root access and control their machines every single process...some are just casual users that put the dang thng down and walk away when it doesnt work.|

and I have a feeling there is ALOT of that going on this week.

-------------------------------------------------------
    but thanks for the help explaining to me how to hold down two buttons and do cold boot, I think you can pretty much assume that most users know this by heart since it really the only tool we have to fix the dang thing most of the time.....and also becuause the words "cold boot" are in 90% of the posts on this forum.

BTW.....I am enjoying my free HBO as I type this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links