Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Exclamation Launcher misbehaving at times

I just upgraded yesterday and I found myself rebooting at least 10 times since. The launcher goes completely blank (except for the wallpaper), but the wallpaper moves as it should when I swipe across the screen. The toolbar works and is still fully functional, including all the apps currently open. But I cannot operate the launcher AT ALL. Not even the top toolbar containing the Google Search and "apps/widgets" icon is showing. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? Many wallpaper apps (Simple Image Wallpaper Free etc.) also stop responding at startup. The wallpaper simply does not show.Screenshot_2012-02-25-14-11-50.jpg

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I have that issue as well, switched to Nova launcher. Almost the same (99%) as stock, but more customization options. If you have root access, which I don't think anyone with the TF101 does, you can have the swiping widget-drawer thing just like the normal launcher too.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yep same, I get around 10mins use before the launcher screws up and goes invisible, tried nova, had around 30mins use before that did the same, been using adwlauncher without hitch since yesterday (hate the hell out of it but it's made my tablet functional again until they fix)

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Try uninstalling any custom launchers and tablet wallpaper apps.

Worst case, back up your files on your device, then backup your apps using the App Backup and wipe the device to see if it still has the issue. If it does not have the issue when it is bare bones stock it is a piece of software that is causing the issue. Reinstall apps a few at a time and see when the problem returns. Then you can figure out which app is causing the issue.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thx glad is not just my TF....installed Nova. I use the stock browser basically until it crashes. Then I simply go to Nova, go to Recent Apps and swipe to close the stock Launcher. Then I go back to the stock launcher and continue my work. That way I do not have to do a full system reboot. Gonna experiment around with it a bit in case it is an application causing the problem.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    When I have this happen, I can still get to the system menu by taping on the time. Go to apps, all, select "launcher" and force-close. Hit home, et voila.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    This problem is due to some widget, try to find the troubling widget and then uninstall it, and reinstall the latest version if possible. i had a problem with beautiful widgets and i was completely surprised it was the cause of this - after uninstalling it and then reinstalling the latest version, all is well. I was able to trigger the disappearing icons problem many many times before this - now I never had it not even once after this "fix". you guys should try finding out which widget is causing the problem. good luck.

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    135 times
    I've had a few times that the launcher stops working, and I get the choice to close it or wait. Usually, I wait, and it comes back. Tonight, a minute ago, it did exactly what you said...I couldn't scroll from screen to screen though. I could see my stock wallpaper (from ASUS), and I could see my taskbar at the bottom, recent apps, and get into the notifications panel. However....nothing I did seemed to fix the problem, so I rebooted and it went away.

Widgets I'm currently running include:

Gmail (ICS stock)
    Calendar (ICS stock)
    Dual battery widget
    ASUS My Zine
    ASUS clock
    Accuweather
    ASUS weather
    Poweramp

Any of those likely? How do I tell if it's one of these? This problem's so irregular, I have no idea how to measure it, as it's really infrequent.

I do notice errors like this happening more if the tablet's been sleeping, and I start using it. Seems also like waking it out of sleep, sometimes it just seems to be more prone to have things go wrong....almost like it doesn't fully wake up. I've found if it's been sleeping, if it's like that, I'm better off rebooting.

PAB5204
    ASUS TF700 and dock
    Linksys E4200 Router
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 4S
    iPad Gen 1

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PAB5204 View Post
    I've had a few times that the launcher stops working, and I get the choice to close it or wait. Usually, I wait, and it comes back. Tonight, a minute ago, it did exactly what you said...I couldn't scroll from screen to screen though. I could see my stock wallpaper (from ASUS), and I could see my taskbar at the bottom, recent apps, and get into the notifications panel. However....nothing I did seemed to fix the problem, so I rebooted and it went away.

Widgets I'm currently running include:

Gmail (ICS stock)
    Calendar (ICS stock)
    Dual battery widget
    ASUS My Zine
    ASUS clock
    Accuweather
    ASUS weather
    Poweramp

Any of those likely? How do I tell if it's one of these? This problem's so irregular, I have no idea how to measure it, as it's really infrequent.

I do notice errors like this happening more if the tablet's been sleeping, and I start using it. Seems also like waking it out of sleep, sometimes it just seems to be more prone to have things go wrong....almost like it doesn't fully wake up. I've found if it's been sleeping, if it's like that, I'm better off rebooting.

PAB5204
    Other than those that came with the TF101, looks like it could be either dual battery widget or poweramp. try to remove those two (or move them to one of the other 4 homescreens that you rarely swipe to) and try again. just use the process of elimination and you will find the culprit.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    51 times
    I got the same issue. I got rid of Equalizer and Dual-Battery and the problem went away. I put Dual-Battery back and the problem came back but not as aggravating as before. The following is my guess:

• The tablet is still waking up from deep sleep. bq20z45 (the battery monitor device) and the wm8903 (the audio device) are still waking up and not ready to respond to queries from apps.
    • widgets (and maybe things that run in the status bar) are part of the same cgroup as the stock launcher.
    • widgets start query the driver for status (volume, battery level, temperature, etc.)
    • the driver barfs (returns error)
    • widgets didn't get the reply they expected. They either re-query again, again and again or go completely banana...
    • the widgets consume too much cpu time, the kernel kicks the whole cgroup out and schedule some other tasks.
    • that why the launcher appear to be frozen. If you wait for a (long) while it will come back...

it's just a guess, ok!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links