Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: My TF101 randomly reboots after Ice Cream Sandwich update!!

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

My TF101 randomly reboots after Ice Cream Sandwich update!!

Hi guys,

My TF101 got updated to Ice Cream Sandwich last night. I rebooted, everything seems well except the transformer will now randomly reboot. I found that ASUS had this same issue with Transformer Prime and issued a small update to ICS.

I'd hate to find out this is the same issue with TF101, now we have to wait for an update again?!!

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1594 times
    Quote Originally Posted by linnx88 View Post
    Hi guys,

My TF101 got updated to Ice Cream Sandwich last night. I rebooted, everything seems well except the transformer will now randomly reboot. I found that ASUS had this same issue with Transformer Prime and issued a small update to ICS.

I'd hate to find out this is the same issue with TF101, now we have to wait for an update again?!!
    There is likely one of 2 issues. The first is an app that ICS doesn't like much which would take some detective work on your part. The other is trash in the system from the update which should be fixable by doing a hard reset. Instructions are in the link below.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    15 times
    Also experienced the random reboot. But after it rebooted it got stuck on the asus boot screen. I have to restart it manually to get out of it.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello All

I updated my TF101 with ICS yesterday. After a successful OTA update I decided to wipe the device from the option on cold boot screen (pwr & vol dn). It has been my experience that sometimes major upgrades have a less chance of being problematic when provided a clean slate as it were. Anyway I thought since this is a major upgrade I would wipe the memory and start with a 'factory fresh' installation of ICS. I backed up all my important data onto an SD card prior to wiping my TF101 and proceeded with the wipe. All seemed fine at first, and I spent several hours starting to re-acquire the apps that I wanted to reload from the Android Market. Today however the tablet has randomly rebooted at least twice (that I can tell).

This afternoon I decided to work a little more on re-installing my applications and I took the tablet out of it's case (with keyboard dock attached) and the top (back of case where the ASUS logo is) seemed slightly warm to the touch.. when I opened the tablet I noticed that it seemed to be stuck on the boot screen. I pressed the power button briefly and it did not have any effect, then I held in the power button and that seemed to do the trick, the screen went blank for a moment and then it proceeded to boot normally.

I worked on it for about an hour and then set it aside for about a 1/2 hour while I was taking a phone call. After finishing the call I opened it up again and it was just finishing rebooting again. Not sure what is going on, any ideas? I have owned my EEE pad for almost a year and I have never noticed the back getting even slightly warm even after being plugged into the charger overnight. I am not sure if the warmth was caused by something going on with the processor (stuck in some sort of a loop) or by the battery.

QUOTE=linnx88;142342]Hi guys,

I'd hate to find out this is the same issue with TF101, now we have to wait for an update again?!! [/QUOTE]
    Last edited by victbc43; 02-25-2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Fixing some typos :)

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    84 times
    Mine has self-induced rebooted 3 times since the upgrade, getting stuck with the spinning circle frozen - I did do all the cold boots, etc., as recommended prior to the upgrade and immediately following it. Also, I am running stock TF101.

I resolve it by holding the power button for about 8-10 seconds each time, but it is a little disconcerting... And every time I get the "oh-noes!!!!! " feeling.
    ASUS TF 101 32GB w/ 32GB SD, Dock, and 1TB External Drive

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Same issue here. Hoping to hear of a solution soon.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    2 times
    yip same issue here.How do we go back to Honeycomb?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Same issue here.

When first upgraded to ics the tablet was running the speed of a snail and unusable. After a few hours fetling and frustration the situation was not improved i decided to call it a day.

Day 2 (maybe after a few reboots i did not know about) the tablet was running as quick as before upgrade or maybe quicker. However by the end of day two it had rebooted three or four times and the last couple times it has not managed to get by the initial boot screen.

On the plus side the battery life is excellent now maybe due to the tablet spending time on the boot screen as oppose to a restless sleep :-D.

Going to try the factory reset today and will report back. What is the best way to ensure my apps are backed up before reset?

I must admit that if he reset fails the thought of app detective work fills me with dread due to the amount of apps i have.

Cheers

Clive

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2811 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRadish View Post
    Same issue here.

When first upgraded to ics the tablet was running the speed of a snail and unusable. After a few hours fetling and frustration the situation was not improved i decided to call it a day.

Day 2 (maybe after a few reboots i did not know about) the tablet was running as quick as before upgrade or maybe quicker. However by the end of day two it had rebooted three or four times and the last couple times it has not managed to get by the initial boot screen.

On the plus side the battery life is excellent now maybe due to the tablet spending time on the boot screen as oppose to a restless sleep :-D.

Going to try the factory reset today and will report back. What is the best way to ensure my apps are backed up before reset?

I must admit that if he reset fails the thought of app detective work fills me with dread due to the amount of apps i have.

Cheers

Clive
    Clive,

Back up your apps with the "App Backup" that is pre-installed. I would suggest doing the App & Data option and then when you wipe it do not have it automatically restore from your Google account. You will proably have to do mulitple backups since it only allows 600 MB per backup. I made 3 backup files to cover my 1.5 GB of apps and data.

ALSO - App Backup does NOT get your files such as Photos, Music, Movies, Downloads or Documents. Be sure to back up any important files in the /sdcard/ directory before wiping. Photos taken with your camera are in the /sdcard/DCIM/ folder.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2223 times
    All - I suggest you all do a hard reset NOW (linked in FAQ & tips, below) & then check all of your apps that are running in the background. Things like wallpaper apps, social network apps, battery widgets, auto airplane mode apps - those sort of things. One of them - probably a different one for each of you is likely to be the culprit.

If you can't track it down, EVERY time it happens, do a hard reset. Some have reported it requiring a few hard resets until the OS & apps get "bedded in". If you cannot get this problem fixed using these techniques, then you should try a Factory Reset.

In case you haven't seen it, this thread will guide you through the processes discussed here. Good luck.

[HOW TO] ICS update problems? - fix them with these steps

(Same issue being discussed here Reboot loop less than 36 hrs after ICS upgrade)
    Last edited by janner43; 02-26-2012 at 01:48 AM. Reason: added link
    MrRadish and urielz29 like this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ Android Guides - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Ads