Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2224 times

Lightbulb [HOW TO] ICS update problems? - fix them with these steps

Now that all the Transformer series, tf101, tf101g, sl101, tf201, tf300, tf300g & the tf700 run Android 4, Ice Cream Sandwich, (aka ICS), some users have experienced nothing but joy with the update.

Sadly, some users have experienced varying issues, however. In an attempt to clear most of these up in one hit, here is what to do. Hopefully this advice will clear most of any problems that you might be experiencing. The normal "disclaimers" apply. This information is provided in all good faith, however, you perform any of these steps on your own responsibility.

BACKGROUND
    If you haven't done the update yet then follow these steps FIRST (as originally suggested by Leeshor).
    1. Update all apps7
    2. Backup your tf using Google, the appbackup utility & an external backup storage (pc, microSD, cloud, external HD, usb flash drive)
    3. Do a cold boot - this WILL NOT wipe any data from your tf (process linked in my signature, below)
    4. Perform the update
    5. Do another cold boot, then start to use ICS

NO UPDATE AVAILABLE?
    Go to Settings - Applications - All - DMClient - Force Close then Clear Data.
    Then go to Settings - Applications - All - CMClient - Force Close then Clear Data.

Cold boot

Settings - About - Check for Update.

If you already have ICS, but for some reason cannot get a new firmware update automatically, follow a similar process to that above. In ICS, however, the menu names are fractionally different, so the process reads...

- Cold boot (process linked from my signature)

- Go to Settings - Apps - All - DMClient - Force Close then Clear Data.
    - Go to Settings - Apps - All - CMClient - Force Close then Clear Data.

Cold boot

Settings - About tablet - System Firmware Update - Check Update.

READING
    There are guides linked below, and some other sticky threads in this section that will help you to get orientated. Most, if not ALL "how do I do xxxxx" questions have already been answered, so please read before asking again.

USING
    When you first start to use ICS follow these steps
    1. Visit the market to check for updates - there are ICS related updates for Adobe Flash Player and G+ for example
    2. Realise that not ALL apps will be compatible with this new version of the OS. The overwhelming majority of problems will be caused by this type of app incompatibility. EG Dolphin for Pad browser has never developed beyond the beta version issued for Honeycomb. It has issues under ICS.
    3. If you get an app incompatibility, then whatever that app is, follow these steps...
    a. Force close the app
    b. Do a hard reset
    c. Uninstall the app
    d. Reinstall the app
    e. Do a hard reset
    f. Try the app again.
    If the app still causes problems, you will just have to wait until it is updated for ICS.

If your app is a "system" app and cannot be uninstalled, try these steps suggested by Detection which relate to the email app here, but the logic would apply to any other system app.
    "If it still has problems, you could try Settings > Apps > All > Find either ASUS Email or Email (Depending which one is causing problems) > Clear Data > Clear Cache > Force Stop > (This will probably delete any emails and / or accounts attached and you may need to set them back up again) Reboot the TF and Open and set back up your email clients if needs be."

THE FINAL SOLUTION
    If nothing else works, and your tf was working normally before the update, then you will need to perform a FACTORY DATA RESET and start again. In ICS this is found under, SETTINGS - PERSONAL - BACKUP & RESET.

Remember to back up your personal data prior to doing this as this process will wipe your tf of all data and restore it back to as if it had shipped pre installed with ICS.

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...ory-reset.html

Having done the reset, try your tf for a while with only the stock apps to ensure it is working well. Then install apps one at a time and check their compatibility with the new OS. If you find an incompatibility that you cannot work around, uninstall the app and perform a hard reset before installing any others. Follow this process methodically and you should be able to resolve any issues that are not hardware related requiring a return to Asus.

KNOWN PROBLEMS
    SOME users are reporting "reboot loops", "random reboots", "faster than normal" battery drain since the update. MOST users are not experiencing this. The fix for these issues will vary between owners, but in almost EVERY case, the issue has been fixed by checking wifi sleep settings, or sync settings for a particular app, or a wallpaper app that is incompatible, or a widget that is incompatible, or a social network app that is incompatible, or a launcher that is incompatible - you get the idea

One reported fix is to change the setting in the TegraZone app. By default under ICS it checks for new items every 12 hours. Changing this to "off" has fixed some reboots for some users. This setting has been changed in the most recent version of this app - back to a default of "OFF", just check that before continuing

In each case, rectifying the settings or uninstalling the app (ie as suggested above) has rectified this. In SOME cases a factory reset has been necessary - IF your apps are still present after you think you have done a factory reset - you haven't done it correctly, so do it again. A factory reset will WIPE all data & not leave you with anything other than a stock tf with Asus apps. It has been suggested by some that performing three Factory Resets has cured their problem. It may not make much sense, but if you are doing one, you may as well take the extra 6 or 7 minutes and do three.

Another issue reported by some, is an issue with some "system level" apps such as Maps & Mail. It would appear that removing your Google account & then adding it back resolves this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haelous View Post
    For those noting issues with system apps (Gmail, gallery w/picasa web, etc), try removing your Google Account and re-adding it again before doing a reset.

As anyone else with a Galaxy Nexus knows, there are still some issues with third party apps and there's simply no escaping that. These are rather easy to troubleshoot even without a system reset, as you can just see what's running in the background as a service, and uninstall one at a time.

This tablet has forced me to remove and re-add my Google Account three times since I've had it due to issues with system apps.
    Another interesting possibility has emerged. There is a suggestion - nothing more - that some of the nVidia tegra2 chipsets on the tf101 require an updated driver which Asus are waiting on nVidia to supply. This is what might be behind the few cases where nothing seems to work, not even repeated Factory Resets. If true, however, this only affects a very few users Don't panic, you are not likely to be one of them

Always ensure that the home screen is displayed prior to allowing your screen to turn off. It has been demonstrated that leaving a live app displayed onscreen when the screen turns off - automatically, or manually - causes some systems to reboot.

Installing an app which prevents your device from sleeping has also proved a viable workaround for many. The current favourite app is WakeLock. You can read more about this, here...

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...m-reboots.html

AND FINALLY....
    This is not a small update. This is a full replacement & upgrade of your OS. It has proved remarkably successful for the overwhelming majority of users. That said, in a major update like this, some issues are a certainty. If you are affected, it can be frustrating - BUT it is not insurmountable - patient and methodical application of the points listed here WILL solve 99.9% of the problems reported.

Don't panic. Don't get frustrated & good luck.

You can discuss any problems you may have either in this thread, or in
    ICS tf101 reboots - The definitive thread!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~FIRMWARE UPDATE COMING SOON?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The tf101 has now received 3 ICS firmware versions. The original upgrade & two incremental updates.

Rumour control, here are the facts...
    Gary Key, Asus Technical Marketing Manager for Asus says...

MAY 22 2012 Update -

Sorry for the delay, tried not to die from pneumonia last week after a relapse. I will start answering general questions again today and forwarding CSR events to the Service Team. Good news is that we have hired a full time employee to assist our Tablet owners in the Android centric forums. His name is Tien Phan and he is available here under the user name Asus_USA. He is part of our new Customer Loyalty Group and will be taking over forum coverage and assisting our valued customers. I will still be around, especially to handle technical problems and coordinate with Engineering until Tien is completely up to speed. However, as always, if you run into a problem that is not solved by our Service Group please feel free to contact me.

MAY 31 2012 Update -

We are working on another release with updated code from NV/Google. I will be in Taiwan next week to discuss this version and once a beta is available we will release it to a small group of testers. So far, this updated code based has worked extremely well on the TF201/TF300 in beta testing. As soon as I have an update it will be posted.

June 11 2012 Update -

We received additional code enhancements from NV/Google while I was in Taiwan last week. We will create a beta update shortly for testing and hopefully the next firmware update will occur in the next two weeks. I/O and Thread priority changes are the top two items and will address ANR and Sleep issues, however, still testing various application loads as some applications do not want to play nice with thread overrides.

Official ASUS Thread - ICS Update on TF101 (20-Mar-2012) - xda-developers
    .27 is now released... http://www.transformerforums.com/for...0120615-a.html
    Last edited by janner43; 07-27-2012 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Updated

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ Android Guides - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi there, I downloaded a zip to upgrade from Honeycomb to ICS but when I tried to flash it I received the error assert failed /system/app/aws.apk followed by a long stream of nonsense, Have Revolver ROM, am rooted with CWM do I need to revert to stock for this to work ?

Many thanks

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    824 times

Spontaneous Frozen Reboot

Took the precautions outlined by Leeshore and did a couple of Cold-boots after the update. My TF was around 67% when I went to bed last night, when I awoke, it was frozen on the reboot screen (cirlcle of dots). When I rebooted, it was at 20%! I figure this could be a dangerous occurrence, wonder if many others are experiencing this? Suggestions?
    Asus Eee Pad TF101; Samsung Galaxy S4; Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition; Galaxy Note 8

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2224 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pkfox View Post
    Hi there, I downloaded a zip to upgrade from Honeycomb to ICS but when I tried to flash it I received the error assert failed /system/app/aws.apk followed by a long stream of nonsense, Have Revolver ROM, am rooted with CWM do I need to revert to stock for this to work ?

Many thanks
    You might, but I cannot say for certain. If you search for "Frederuco" or "Detection" you will find links in their signatures to cover this type of situation.

Quote Originally Posted by sculptedstylus View Post
    Took the precautions outlined by Leeshore and did a couple of Cold-boots after the update. My TF was around 67% when I went to bed last night, when I awoke, it was frozen on the reboot screen (cirlcle of dots). When I rebooted, it was at 20%! I figure this could be a dangerous occurrence, wonder if many others are experiencing this? Suggestions?
    No real suggestions for you SS other than those above, FYI I checked my battery last night & this morning & it had only dropped the 2% it always has overnight. My wifi settings are for the wifi to turn off when the screen is off. Idon't have auto-airplane by DON, or the dock, or any battery widgets. I suspect an app is not fully ICS compatible, is continuously running & therefore running down your battery & eventually caused a system crash. If you have any of those auto airplane or battery monitoring apps, I would start there.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2811 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pkfox View Post

Many thanks
    That depends on the ICS ROM you downloaded. If it is flashable via CWM, you should be able to flash with CWM. If you want the stock update you need to flash back to stock and flash back to the stock recovery. Follow the links in my signature for your serial number to flash back.

You can also wait until gnufabio updates his ROM to ICS, the ETA for this is approximately 1 week last time I checked.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    744 times
    Neil I believe you experienced one of the reboots that .15 was supposed to have cured. I had never had one myself but while surfing last night it just rebooted. The reboot was to the point that when I reopened my browser all of the pages that were open had been closed. There is a good chance that something random put yours into a reboot during the night and it just got stuck.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition - Dell Venue 11 Pro Bay Trail (On Order) - LG Optimus G Pro

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    19 times
    This happenend with mine today.
    It was fully charged this morning and when I just got home it was frozen at the circle of dots. battery charge is now 84% (which should be something like 98 or 99%).
    Got no airplanemode or battery widgets, but I suspect Multi Picture Live Wallpaper to be the one causing it.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Same with mine, gets stuck and freezes during one its random reboots.
    I do not have live wallpaper installed.
    "Been dazed and confused for so long it's not true."

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    139 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Now that both the tf101 & the tf201 have been updated to ICS, MOST users have experienced nothing but joy with the update.

SOME users have experienced varying issues, however. In an attempt to clear most of these up in one hit, here is what to do. Hopefully this advice will clear most of any problems that you might be experiencing. The normal "disclaimers" apply. This information is provided in all good faith, however, you perform any of these steps on your own responsibility.

BACKGROUND
    If you haven't done the update yet then follow these steps FIRST (as originally suggested by Leeshor).
    1. Update all apps
    2. Backup your tf using Google, the appbackup utility & an external backup storage (pc, microSD, cloud, external HD, usb flash drive)
    3. Do a hard reset (process linked in FAQ & tips, below)
    4. Perform the update
    5. Do another hard reset, then start to use ICS

READING
    There are guides linked below, and some other sticky threads in this section that will help you to get orientated. Most, if not ALL "how do I do xxxxx" questions have already been answered, so please read before asking again.

USING
    When you first start to use ICS follow these steps
    1. Visit the market to check for updates - there are ICS related updates for Adobe Flash Player and G+ for example
    2. Realise that not ALL apps will be compatible with this new version of the OS. The overwhelming majority of problems will be caused by this type of app incompatibility. EG Dolphin for Pad browser has never developed beyond the beta version issued for Honeycomb. It has issues under ICS.
    3. If you get an app incompatibility, then whatever that app is, follow these steps...
    a. Force close the app
    b. Do a hard reset
    c. Uninstall the app
    d. Reinstall the app
    e. Do a hard reset
    f. Try the app again.
    If the app still causes problems, you will just have to wait until it is updated for ICS.

If your app is a "system" app and cannot be uninstalled, try these steps suggested by Detection which relate to the email app here, but the logic would apply to any other system app.
    "If it still has problems, you could try Settings > Apps > All > Find either ASUS Email or Email (Depending which one is causing problems) > Clear Data > Clear Cache > Force Stop > (This will probably delete any emails and / or accounts attached and you may need to set them back up again) Reboot the TF and Open and set back up your email clients if needs be."

THE FINAL SOLUTION
    If nothing else works, and your tf was working normally before the update, then you will need to perform a FACTORY DATA RESET and start again. In ICS this is found under, SETTINGS - PERSONAL - BACKUP & RESET.

Remember to back up your personal data prior to doing this as this process will wipe your tf of all data and restore it back to as if it had shipped pre installed with ICS.

Having done the reset, try your tf for a while with only the stock apps to ensure it is working well. Then install apps one at a time and check their compatibility with the new OS. If you find an incompatibility that you cannot work around, uninstall the app and perform a hard reset before installing any others. Follow this process methodically and you should be able to resolve any issues that are not hardware related requiring a return to Asus.
    If I do this, will I lose apps that I've purchased?

I've tried the hard resets, I've uninstalled my video apps and reinstalled them (all of them) and the problem with speaker volume in movies still occurs.

PAB5204
    ASUS TF700 and dock
    Linksys E4200 Router
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 4S
    iPad Gen 1

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2224 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PAB5204 View Post
    If I do this, will I lose apps that I've purchased?

I've tried the hard resets, I've uninstalled my video apps and reinstalled them (all of them) and the problem with speaker volume in movies still occurs.

PAB5204
    No. The market links your paid for apps with your Google account.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Ads