Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: [SOLVED] Ice Cream sandwich update basically bricks TF101

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

[SOLVED] Ice Cream sandwich update basically bricks TF101

Hi im in desperate need of help. I got the ICS upgrade today and it was a mess from the first minute. All the system apps ran slow or crashed, and settings crash or just dont work. Launcher crashes within about 5 minutes of boot and does not come back.
    I need to factory reset, there's no salvaging this. Settings >whatever the path is to reset. Click all the buttons and ok it all until the last Erase tablet button. No matter how long i click it, or how hard or what i do, it will not activate. Never, ever, ever, dock, touchscreen nothing.
    To make matters works the volume down hard set fails. it starts to boot, the progress bar comes up and then it goes to the sideways "dead" android with the triangle warning sign.

I cannot install apps from market, it just crashes. The google+ app repeatedly crashes even when im not using it, slowing any progress down. Its completely useless right now, literally does just about nothing
    ...can anyone help with a hard reset? Any way to attach it to the computer and do it?

----------------------------Moderator's Note--------------------------------------
    These guides might assist others who find this thread with similar problems

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...ory-reset.html

[HOW TO] ICS update problems? - fix them with these steps
    Last edited by janner43; 04-04-2012 at 01:12 AM.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1001 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
    Hi im in desperate need of help. I got the ICS upgrade today and it was a mess from the first minute. All the system apps ran slow or crashed, and settings crash or just dont work. Launcher crashes within about 5 minutes of boot and does not come back.
    I need to factory reset, there's no salvaging this. Settings >whatever the path is to reset. Click all the buttons and ok it all until the last Erase tablet button. No matter how long i click it, or how hard or what i do, it will not activate. Never, ever, ever, dock, touchscreen nothing.
    To make matters works the volume down hard set fails. it starts to boot, the progress bar comes up and then it goes to the sideways "dead" android with the triangle warning sign.

I cannot install apps from market, it just crashes. The google+ app repeatedly crashes even when im not using it, slowing any progress down. Its completely useless right now, literally does just about nothing
    ...can anyone help with a hard reset? Any way to attach it to the computer and do it?
    Is your TF rooted? If not sounds like you need to do a Factory reset. Unfortunately, you will loose all your personal data. When you do the reset DO NOT CHECK THE BOX TO REINSTALL YOUR APPS.
    Go to the Market and reinstall them from there.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    393 times
    Welcome to the forum,

First of all, What is the first 3 characters of your tablet sides serial number ? Its on a sticker near the tablet charging port and will be something like Bxx

If it is B6O or earlier, check the back to stock link in my signature.

When you say you tried the Volume Down trick, let me explain fully to double check you did it correctly.

Power Off the tablet, Hold Volume Down + Power until the white text appears at the top of the screen, when you see that, release the buttons and follow the instructions in the white text for "Wipe Data"
    alpha1 and bobdelamare like this.
    TF No longer charges: Clicky
    Transformer won't boot: Clicky
    Power / Lock button issues: Clicky
    Flash downloaded ASUS Firmware: Clicky

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Not rooted. Data backed up, I'm fairly experienced with android, rooted my phone, etc.
    Sticker Feel off, Don't have it. Any way to get it via software?

Ahh didn't realize there was a 2nd menu in the volume+power buttom trick. Wiped data. Everythings golden now.
    You kind sir, are the bomb. thank you.
    starchief likes this.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2320 times

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    393 times
    Not rooted. Data backed up, I'm fairly experienced with android, rooted my phone, etc.
    Sticker Feel off, Don't have it. Any way to get it via software?

Ahh didn't realize there was a 2nd menu in the volume+power buttom trick. Wiped data. Everythings golden now.
    You kind sir, are the bomb. thank you.
    Great

TF No longer charges: Clicky
    Transformer won't boot: Clicky
    Power / Lock button issues: Clicky
    Flash downloaded ASUS Firmware: Clicky

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Hello, I've had the same problem. I've deinstalled Opera Mobile and I've installed it again, and now Asus doesn't crash any more. I had the same problem with previous update and I solved it the same way. No idea why, but it has helped.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    897 times
    As stated in other threads....there are still a number of apps that have not been completely updated for the Android v4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich) operating system version (yet).

Over the past 6 weeks, I've seen over 60 apps get updates which reflected (in their Release Notes) that they were updated. Since the Friday update in the U.S>, I have seen 5 more apps get updates.

In a nutshell - BEFORE DOING THE ICS UPDATE - people should make sure they are operating with the latest version of their apps. Most folks can typically do this by logging into the Android Market (and/or Amazon App Market) and check them there. If this is not done until after ICS is upgraded, there probably won't be a problem for most apps, but a few have been reported to cause anomoly issues until they get their updates.

ALSO - DON'T FORGET to do the additional system reboot AFTER the ICS update.

With these 2 simple things done...the majority of people so far have reported problem-free updates.

As for the original poster - good to hear all is well now.

Moving to ICS Forum.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA WIN 8.1 & ASUS TF101 ANDROID TABLETS

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    As stated in other threads....there are still a number of apps that have not been completely updated for the Android v4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich) operating system version (yet).

Over the past 6 weeks, I've seen over 60 apps get updates which reflected (in their Release Notes) that they were updated. Since the Friday update in the U.S>, I have seen 5 more apps get updates.

In a nutshell - BEFORE DOING THE ICS UPDATE - people should make sure they are operating with the latest version of their apps. Most folks can typically do this by logging into the Android Market (and/or Amazon App Market) and check them there. If this is not done until after ICS is upgraded, there probably won't be a problem for most apps, but a few have been reported to cause anomoly issues until they get their updates.

ALSO - DON'T FORGET to do the additional system reboot AFTER the ICS update.

With these 2 simple things done...the majority of people so far have reported problem-free updates.

As for the original poster - good to hear all is well now.

Moving to ICS Forum.
    I had all my apps up to date (checked on market). When I got ICS update it worked fine at first but after I rebooted system everything worked very, very slow and almost every app crashed. Opera Mobile was still up to date (according to the market) but I deinstalled it anyway, just because it helped the previous time.

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The update screwed up my tablet. When in standbye mode it wont always turn back on and I have to do a hard reset. Then one of my app NHL game center which I downloaded back in October stopped working. And when I go into the android market it's not listed. Not even in my downloaded apps.

Also youtube hasn't been working right and the battery seems to be drainer more than it should. I have yet to hear back from asus after sending out two emails. The first one I sent out on the 28th of Feburary.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads