Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

ICS Update caused default email program to freeze and force close

Updated to ICS this morning. Underwhelmed by the new firmware. Didn't notice much speed improvement, yet, as compared to Honeycomb. The default email client freezes and force closes regularly.
    Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    362 times
    Welcome to the forum, could you try a Cold Boot

Power Off the TF, Hold Volume Down + Power until the white text appears at the top, release the buttons and wait for cold boot

If it still has problems, you could try Settings > Apps > All > Find either ASUS Email or Email (Depending which one is causing problems) > Clear Data > Clear Cache > Force Stop > (This will probably delete any emails and / or accounts attached and you may need to set them back up again) Reboot the TF and Open and set back up your email clients if needs be.

Let us know if that had any effect
    TF No longer charges: Clicky
    Transformer won't boot: Clicky
    Power / Lock button issues: Clicky
    Flash downloaded ASUS Firmware: Clicky

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Exact same problem here. I've tried everything except a complete wipe of my TF101; clearing the cache or restarting the machine etc. all get the stock Email to work only temporarily.

As not everyone's having this problem who has updated to ICS, perhaps there's one of the other programs I'm using that's causing a conflict. I've also got Kaiten installed, though it has had no problems yet. I was having problems with Pulse even before the update (freezes, and system-wide slow downs) and since ICS Google's Currents news aggregator has been funky; display of articles and scrolling are messed up,. (Can you tell I'm a news junkie?) Maybe we can pinpoint the cause of this problem.

[EDIT/update: so I went ahead and wiped my Transformer and so far (several hours of use) the Email client has been fine. I've had one mysterious spontaneous restart of the TF101, though. Will update again in a few days if there's anything to report.]
    Last edited by tstreete; 02-26-2012 at 06:13 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Tried the cold boot, didn't solve the problem. Still freezes the Asus email program. Overall experience with ICS in Transformer so far is disappointing, everything seems more sluggish, as compared to Honeycomb, from accessing to the Setting options, to opening programs like Zinio. Factory reset will be the last resort.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cheefwong View Post
    Tried the cold boot, didn't solve the problem. Still freezes the Asus email program. Overall experience with ICS in Transformer so far is disappointing, everything seems more sluggish, as compared to Honeycomb, from accessing to the Setting options, to opening programs like Zinio. Factory reset will be the last resort.
    Just the opposite of what you should be seeing. The factor reset sounds like your best option. Back up first. Make certain you don't do the automatic app install on the new setup.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

same problem here

after update, the email app freeze very frequently (all most 2 out of 1 when activated).
    disabled tegrazone. not using google+ (which seems troublesome), no live wallpaper, not rooted.
    Removed all existing email accounts and cold rebooted it. Then added back the accounts, still freezes from time to time.
    Especially when there's new emails, a freeze is almost guaranteed.

since the update last friday, I have about 3 spontaneous reboots (though I have to manually reboot almost one or two times a day due to some freezing issues here and there).
    And one mysterious failed automatic reboot (stuck at the booting screen, the circle stops spinning) which I noticed in the middle of night (before that happens, I did put it to sleep by lock the screen and
    turn off the wifi).

I'm do have pulse and weather channel. But even if I have a fresh reboot without using any apps before opening the email, it still can freeze.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I do believe the factory reset has the best chance to cure all problems, but there's some people claiming even after a factory reset, all those issues including automatic reboot persists. So that make me less interested in doing that with all those hassles. My previous experience with Honeycomb and transformer is superb. Almost flawless, Use it for weeks without needing rebooting. from HC to ICS is a big thing and we users really appreciate that ASUS can deliver on time. And I believe most users are happy with the update. Still, hope those issues can raise some attentions from both ASUS and google's end. If they can work closely together and take another look at the kernels and drives, a quick fix is not impossible. Or at least help us identify which third party app is the culprit. Or maybe a some kinda diagnostic apps can be installed to see which one causes the problem.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I am having problems after the latest firmware update. It was never an issue for me before. Asus Email freezes, Dolphin Browser force closes often, apps are slower and the tablet seems a lot more sluggish compare to before. Very disappointed with ICS so far.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links