Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Gtanner00
  • 1 Post By LetMeKnow
  • 1 Post By Gtanner00
  • 2 Post By LetMeKnow
  • 2 Post By janner43
  • 1 Post By janner43

Thread: [SOLVED] ??? Reason for WiFi signal strength to be grey/blue in colour.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    84 times

[SOLVED] ??? Reason for WiFi signal strength to be grey/blue in colour.

Ok I really don't know why it has been so long and its only come to my attention now but in the bottom right corner you have your battery indicator then to the left of that your WiFi strength/connection indicator. Now the majority of the time it is blue but when it has gone grey I have either lost my signal or i'm not getting a signal, but lately maybe past 2 weeks its gone grey as it is at this very moment and i'm still connected. Also don't know if this makes a difference but I've owned this TF300T several months after they hit the shelves so to give you an idea how old it is about 2 yrs I think. So does the blue mean like full strength and the grey mean 50/50 ??? Anyone know anything about this at all sorry didn't want the disappointed dude he looked confused to me....thanks in advance for allor any replies to my question.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    This is a question that a lot of people must have. Intuitively, you might think you have lost your connection. However this is not the case. Blue bars mean that you at constantly connected to Google's servers. This ensures that all of your contacts, gmail, pictures, browser history, Calendar etc. Are being backed up and/synced to your device.

When the bars are grey, something is wring with your account connection. Since it has been like this for 2 weeks, I suggest you check to see if account sync had bee turned off accidentally. There is an Asus quick setting button for this if you are using the 4.1 nav bar layout. If not go into your account settings and make sure all of the boxes are checked.
    Spacebridge likes this.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Developer
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post
    This is a question that a lot of people must have. Intuitively, you might think you have lost your connection. However this is not the case. Blue bars mean that you at constantly connected to Google's servers. This ensures that all of your contacts, gmail, pictures, browser history, Calendar etc. Are being backed up and/synced to your device.

When the bars are grey, something is wring with your account connection. Since it has been like this for 2 weeks, I suggest you check to see if account sync had bee turned off accidentally. There is an Asus quick setting button for this if you are using the 4.1 nav bar layout. If not go into your account settings and make sure all of the boxes are checked.
    I had this issue a few times on my tf700 before and don't know if it applies to the tf300. This is my understanding and could be wrong and I am wrong so many times before, haha. The blue bar is meant that you have a internet connection which is your router is communicating with the server. The grey bar is your device is connecting to your router but your router is not communicating with any server at all.. So you are stuck at your router access point and can not access to the world or beyond your router, No internet at this point.

To solve this issue, you may want to reset your router or shut it off for 5 to 10 seconds, then power your router back on and you have internet again. It was the work around for my problem, but don't know if it works on the tf300...
    Spacebridge likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Blue means connected to Google servers. Grey means you are not. Usually grey would mean that you have no real connection to the outside internet, however it seems like space bridge is not having any problems with his network failing. In this case, the problem is probably something else. Perhaps deleting and reconnecting to the Google account would help. I have had similar problems in the past.
    Spacebridge likes this.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Developer
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post
    Blue means connected to Google servers. Grey means you are not. Usually grey would mean that you have no real connection to the outside internet, however it seems like space bridge is not having any problems with his network failing. In this case, the problem is probably something else. Perhaps deleting and reconnecting to the Google account would help. I have had similar problems in the past.
    Haha, thanks for the information.. I thought that blue is an internet connection and to all severs. It is not just to a google server. A reconnection of your wifi will work if and only if there is something wrong on your device. However, my guess is that something is flakey on the router side because the wifi is connecting to the router but doesn't connect to the outside world. To find out the answer, the user has this issue can troubleshoot and give us feedback so we have a better understanding about this issue.
    Gtanner00 and Spacebridge like this.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    My understanding is this... (a little semantically different to that which has already been posted)
    1. Grey means "connected to a wifi access point"
    2. Blue means (only possible when connected as in 1) "synched with Google servers"

So, if the icon is blue, then not only are you connected to a wifi access point, but you are also connected to the Internet as you are successfully synched with Google's servers. However, you can have a grey icon & not be connected to the Internet if the router you are connected to via wifi has an Internet connection problem.

You could also have a grey icon & be connected to the Internet but not synched with Google's servers if either Google have a problem, or there is a problem with limited access to the Internet (sometimes caused by an ISP problem), or there is a problem with the Google account in question. It doesn't matter if you have turned off synching entirely - even then, the icon will turn blue as every Android device still gets "connected to Google" when it has a functioning data connection.

Hope that helps
    Spacebridge and Gtanner00 like this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    84 times
    Gtanner00,LetMeKnow,and Janner43 I thank you all for your answers and educating me in understanding this grey/blue signal issue as I did go and see if my google accounts were all connected as i play several games that sign in with G+ then I turned on an off my router, figuring kill two birds with one stone and within minutes the blue bars appeared. Again thanks guys for your prompt and awesome answers
    Cheers

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times

WiFi bars grey, connecting but no internet on TF101?!

I have recently found my transformer's charger so it's been dead for over a year. Bad, I know. But anyway, I have moved and have a new router, which isn't playing nice with the TF101. I get the grey WiFi signal bars and the connection arrow, but no blue connection, which I understand to be the Google Servers.

I've tried:

- hard reset
    - unplugging the router for 30 seconds
    - deleting Google account (but then couldn't add again due to no connection)

I want to avoid a factory reset, but I'm not sure that's even the problem. My WiFi connection is perfectly fine on my laptop, smart TV and iPhone. It's just the TF101.

Someone please help a technological luddite in how to get this working!

Thanks very much!!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacebridge View Post
    Gtanner00,LetMeKnow,and Janner43 I thank you all for your answers and educating me in understanding this grey/blue signal issue as I did go and see if my google accounts were all connected as i play several games that sign in with G+ then I turned on an off my router, figuring kill two birds with one stone and within minutes the blue bars appeared. Again thanks guys for your prompt and awesome answers
    Cheers

Glad to hear you have it working again. I'll mark the thread as solved & move it to our Guides section where it may well help others.

And strangely enough - it is already working

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Quote Originally Posted by megan View Post
    I have recently found my transformer's charger so it's been dead for over a year. Bad, I know. But anyway, I have moved and have a new router, which isn't playing nice with the TF101. I get the grey WiFi signal bars and the connection arrow, but no blue connection, which I understand to be the Google Servers.

I've tried:

- hard reset
    - unplugging the router for 30 seconds
    - deleting Google account (but then couldn't add again due to no connection)

I want to avoid a factory reset, but I'm not sure that's even the problem. My WiFi connection is perfectly fine on my laptop, smart TV and iPhone. It's just the TF101.

Someone please help a technological luddite in how to get this working!

Thanks very much!!
    Welcome to the forum

I have added your post to this thread for you (leaving a temporary redirect to ensure you find it) - funny how things like this often get posted together.

As you are connected to your router successfully, then you'll need to read some of the possibilities in post#6 to understand what might be happening, but I suspect a Factory Reset will be the easiest & quickest solution for you. As you hadn't used your tf101 in over a year I guess that there isn't anything of huge value/interest to you on it. But in the event I am wrong about that, if you follow our guide to Factory Resetting, linked from the Master Help Guide - (see link in my signature, below) then you will get a step by step guide including backing up.

If you really don't want to go down that route, then the issue may well relate to your Google account/s. On that subject...

Here is some rationale for you...
    1) Your TF uses Google Android & as such is pretty much completely integrated with the Google system. As a result, your Google account & its password & related security form an integral, system level part of your TF operating system. Because of that, if something has become confused or corrupted at a system level, you may well get this sort of problem.

2) Your desktop PC probably runs Windows & is therefore able to do things differently.

On the basis of that rationale, try the following.

1) On your PC, log into your Google account (the one/s in question) turn off two step verification if it is turned on and reset your password. Log out again.
    2) Ensure you can log into the account with the new password. Then log out again.
    3) Go to your TF. In settings, go to Accounts & completely remove (delete) your Google account. Also remove any other Google Accounts that are present.
    4) On your TF, go to settings, apps, and the ALL section
    5) Find any and all apps that have anything to do with Google - this will include, but may not be limited to...
    Play Store, YouTube, Maps, Hangouts, Google+, Browser, Contacts, Drive, Email, Gmail, any app that starts with "Google" in the app name... etc
    5a) For each & every one of those apps - clear cache, clear data, force close
    6) Power off your TF & then "cold boot" it. If you aren't sure how to do that, follow the link in my signature
    The cold boot will not delete any of your user data, but will clear the system cache on your TF

When all that is complete, then tap on the Play Store app icon on your TF. This should prompt you to add a Google account to your device. Add your account with the correct, new password you set on your PC earlier. Hopefully, all will work correctly from then on.

It might sound long-winded, but it's worked for others - if it doesn't IMO you are only left with a full data wipe (Factory Reset) and we've already covered that subject.

All the best
    Gtanner00 likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links