Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: [GUIDE] How to manually update/restore firmware (TF700, TF701, TF300, TF101, TF201)

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    100 times

[GUIDE] How to manually update/restore firmware (TF700, TF701, TF300, TF101, TF201)

Update January 2015
    @Tylorw1, the original OP, is not active in this forum anymore. I took the liberty to update and adjust this still valuable post a little bit. I take just as much responsibility for the method below as the OP: NONE
    YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK
    Yours truly,
    droidbound

This is an alternative install method of the official Asus firmware if you cannot update via OTA for whatever reason. This also works for flashing the firmware if your tablet does not boot anymore or is in a bootloop.

You can downgrade (going back to an earlier firmware version) with this method, but be careful: Research the limitations for your particular tablet. For example, you cannot downgrade from JB to ICS.

It is STRONGLY advised you backup all apps and data before performing this procedure. It should not wipe your data, but there is always a chance something may go wrong. Better safe than sorry

Prerequisites:
    • Asus Transformer tablet TF101, TF300T, TF700T, TF701T (probably also TF201)
    • A fully charged battery (if you're unsure because you cannot boot the device, plug it into Power when the procedure allows it)
    • A copy of the Asus firmware from here: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download (see post #2)
    • Everything you care about is backed up

There are two ways to flash the official Asus firmware:

Method A: Flash from your internal SD

1. Download the latest version of Android for your tablet. Make sure you download the correct SKU version.
    To find your SKU go into settings, About tablet, and look for your Build Number, There are two letters (such as US,WW, TW, etc.) that is your SKU. When downloading the zip from ASUS', you must download the correct SKU zip.
    2. The downloaded file is a zip within a zip.
    You download xx_epaduser_version_UpdateLauncher.zip.
    Unzip it and you get: xx_epad-user-version.zip (which I will call user.zip)
    3. Copy user.zip to the root of your internal SD. "Root" means: Not into any folder. Put it alongside the DCIM, Pictures, Movies etc folders
    4. A pop-up should show up in the notification window telling you there is an update and if you would like to perform the update.
    5. If the pop-up does not show up, try rebooting your device. If it still does not show up, try performing a cold boot. If you still have no luck go to Method B).
    6. Let the update finish, it will automatically reboot the tablet.
    TF101 only:
    If the above does not work for you, try this:
    On internal storage or a microSD create this directory: /ASUS/Update/
    Put the user.zip into the Update folder and reboot. This works only if your tablet still boots into Android!
    How to perform a cold boot: Various quick fixes links and help.

Method B: Flash from a microSD (has to be formatted FAT32 or it will not work)

1. Download the latest version of Android for your tablet. Make sure you download the correct SKU version.
    To find the SKU, go into settings, About tablet, and look for your Build Number, There are two letters (such as US,WW, TW, etc.) that is your SKU. When downloading the zip from ASUS', you must download the correct SKU zip.
    2. Decompress the downloaded .zip file ONCE resulting in user.zip
    3. Rename the user.zip to:

A: For the TF101: EP101_SDUPDATE.zip
    B: For the TF201: EP201_SDUPDATE.zip
    C: For the TF700T, TF300T: EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip
    D: For the TF701T: T4_SDUPDATE.zip

4. Make sure known file extensions are not hidden in Windows explorer. A common mistake is to rename the file to e.g. EP201_768_SDUPDATE.zip.zip
    If you see only "xx_epad-user-version" in Windows Explorer without the extension, rename the file to e.g. "EP201_768_SDUPDATE"
    5. Copy the file to the root of your MicroSD (see above)
    6. Insert the MicroSD into the tablet
    7. Shutdown (power off) the tablet
    8. Power it on by pressing and holding VOLUME DOWN and POWER buttons simultaneously
    9. Let go when you see white text in the top left corner of the screen. You are now in the bootloader menu where you will see 3 icons (4 icons if you are on a ICS bootloader): RCK, Android, Wipe Data (+ USB icon if still on ICS). RCK (your stock recovery) should be flashing. Press VOLUME UP to boot recovery
    TF101 only:
    If you see a screen with only 2 icons push Volume Up to boot recovery
    10. The recovery should recognize the update file on your microSD and automatically flash it.
    11. Let the update finish. If it happens to run for more than 45 minutes, force shut down the tablet and see if it boots. If it does not, try rerunning steps 7-9.

TF201 Users: It is very likely the same procedure as for the TF300 and TF700. But we need confirmation for the microSD card method.

Rooted only, no custom recovery:
    You can use these methods as long as you did not uninstall any system apps or bloatware. The updater script checks for the presence of all original software. If anything is missing or frozen the update will fail.
    You will loose root in this process. OTA rootkeeper may or may not work

Users with custom ROM and custom recovery
    TF700T, TF300T: You can flash the user.zip in TWRP or CWM to return to fully stock. You will loose your custom recovery.
    TF701: Asus firmware can only be flashed in stock recovery. Flash a stock recovery from Droidbasement, then flash the user.zip

Enjoy

Credit to those who posted the data originally in other threads and especially Janner43 for helping me.
    Last edited by droidbound; 06-08-2015 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Update/cleanup
    Friggs, Kinetic, janner43 and 9 others like this.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    100 times
    Links removed since they are broken. droidbound Jan 2015

Download only official Asus firmware from their website:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download

• Enter "Transformer" in the search box
    • Choose your device
    • Choose "Android" for OS
    • Expand "Firmware" and look for your SKU
    Last edited by droidbound; 01-01-2015 at 06:20 PM.
    FedericVs likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    9 times
    I can confirm this worked for me.

My issue followed an OTA update. I got taken to the boot screen with the ASUS lettering before it flashed.

The thing was depsite leaving it for around 30 minutes it would not progress. I tried the standard WIPE option and cold boot both which didn't do anything.

Using the RCK function on its own would result in the android on it's back with a red exclamation mark.

However,

Following Tylor's advice I was able to install the firmware onto a MicroSD card and then get the RCK function to recover my tablet and install the firmware from the MicroSD.

And here I am using my TF700 to type this.

Thanks Tylor

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2530 times
    Thanks for this Tylor.

That is a GREAT guide & I have added it to our Guides section & the Master Help Guide.

Great job & thanks very much on behalf of all those who will make use of it going forwards.

Last edited by janner43; 04-13-2013 at 01:32 AM.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2530 times
    Thread title enhanced as requested to include restoring as well as updating firmware.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tylorw1 View Post
    If you cannot find your ROM/zip, please let me know by pm or in this thread and I will see what I can do to find it.

links deleted

Tylor

Sent from my ASUS Transformer TF700T Infinity Pad Using Tapatalk HD
    Hello everyone,

Noob here!! Had a quick question! I'm rooted and unlocked. I'm running 4.0.3 (stock) and the .30 firmware (also stock) on my tf700. I want to update to the new 4.2.1 (or 4.2.2) and the new 10.6.1.14.4 firmware. Could I just flash the .zip file you posted here? I'm hesitant about updating the firmware/bootloader when i'm still running stock 4.0.3. I plan to flash custom roms that have the latest firmware, bootloader, and have JB...i just didnt know if i could make that leap directly from my current specs.
    Last edited by droidbound; 01-01-2015 at 08:35 PM.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aw2887 View Post
    Hello everyone,

Noob here!! Had a quick question! I'm rooted and unlocked. I'm running 4.0.3 (stock) and the .30 firmware (also stock) on my tf700. I want to update to the new 4.2.1 (or 4.2.2) and the new 10.6.1.14.4 firmware. Could I just flash the .zip file you posted here? I'm hesitant about updating the firmware/bootloader when i'm still running stock 4.0.3. I plan to flash custom roms that have the latest firmware, bootloader, and have JB...i just didnt know if i could make that leap directly from my current specs.
    You should be able to jump straight from 4.0.3 to 4.2.1 fine. I do suggest you do this before attempting to flash a custom ROM. If you wanna be positive, go to ASUS' website, flash 4.1.1 first, boot into it. Set it up, etc. Then flash 4.2.1 from 4.1.1 but I believe you will be fine going from 4.0.3 to 4.2.1 since you still are completely stock.

Tylor

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300TG (3G)
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tylorw1 View Post
    This is an alternative install method if your OTA fails or your tablet is stuck in a boot loop. There will be 2 ways: the first, is to do it through Android itself, the second is if your tablet wont boot, but you can still boot into the boot loader.

The ROMS have been uploaded, and hosted by myself. Make sure you choose the correct SKU!!! Links will be on post #2
    hi
    i have an asus tf300 tg , i tried to update it to 4.2.2 from 4.1.1 , i did these thing : download the update from site , put it in sd card root , saw the update message , click that , and then tablet restart and go to cwm - based recovery v6.0.1.3 that i installed for root , and nothing more than that , i should restart and when i try again , every time this happened , i tried wipe but no different , any solution ??
    i have "install zip from sd card " in recovery menus , i tried that but it wont work .

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hamed_bg13 View Post
    hi
    i have an asus tf300 tg , i tried to update it to 4.2.2 from 4.1.1 , i did these thing : download the update from site , put it in sd card root , saw the update message , click that , and then tablet restart and go to cwm - based recovery v6.0.1.3 that i installed for root , and nothing more than that , i should restart and when i try again , every time this happened , i tried wipe but no different , any solution ??
    i have "install zip from sd card " in recovery menus , i tried that but it wont work .
    You got a custom recovery. This method is for stock. In order to flash the ROM you must flash it from the recovery. These two methods do not work with custom recoveries such as CWM and TWRP. Also, update CWM to the latest version before performing any ROM flashing or you could result in a brick.

Tylor

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

Question, can you use the asus update for the tg on the t?

Can you use the asus update for the tf300tg on the tf300t? I wanted to use a rom and it said i needed to be on a 10.6.2.3 but that version hasn't been released for the tf300t. I tried to use flash the rom but it just bootlooped. So was wondering if anyone had ever tried to flash the update for tg to the t. Thanks for any help.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links