Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: [GUIDE] How to manually update/restore firmware (TF101, TF201, TF300, TF700, TF701)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tylorw1 View Post
    Rooted only, no custom recovery:
    You can use these methods as long as you did not uninstall any system apps or bloatware. The updater script checks for the presence of all original software. If anything is missing or frozen the update will fail.
    You will loose root in this process. OTA rootkeeper may or may not work
    I already deleted all the bloatware together with CMClient and DMClient. That means there is no way for me to update the firmware???

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2800 times
    Quote Originally Posted by phed View Post
    I already deleted all the bloatware together with CMClient and DMClient. That means there is no way for me to update the firmware???
    Deleting DMClient & CMClient is a big mistake. Those are used in the firmware update process.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by phed View Post
    Sure, you can still use the manual method described here. You only need DM and cm client for OTA updates and I can assure you: There won't be any

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Pure Nexus Nougat/Google Fi

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

How do I upgrade firmware on TF300T with unlocked bootloader, TWRP and root?

I need some help getting a TF300T on the right firmware to install KatKiss 6.0.1. It has 4.1.1 installed with a US 10.4.2.16 bootloader. I unlocked the bootloader, installed TWRP 2.4.1.0 and rooted it when I bought the tablet a few years ago. I think I may have lost root yesterday when I accidentally wiped the data from the bootloader menu when my finger hit the wrong button.
    KatKiss 6.0.1 requires a bootloader that ends with 27.1 or 27.5. Is it safe to install the Asus 10.6.1.27.5 stock firmware over what's installed and if so, what's the best way? Will the bootloader need to be unlocked again after the firmware is upgraded? I've been reading through different forums for a few hours but can't find what I need. I got this for my fiancee and haven't touched it in several years so I really appreciate any help you can offer.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    676 times
    So you are running the Asus 4.1.1 firmware but have TWRP installed - correct?
    The easiest method to update your bootloader would be to flash the latest Asus firmware in your current recovery. You will loose your custom recovery and have to reflash it in fastboot afterwards, but the bootloader will stay unlocked.
    Naturally you will loose root, but root is immaterial to what you are trying to do.
    So download the latest firmware from the link in post 2, unzip that file and place the resulting zip on a microSD and into your tablet.
    Boot to TWRP, go to Install, navigate to the zip file and flash it.
    The tablet should reboot into a fresh stock installation. Go through the setup as quickly as possible and go straight into Settings > Security > allow USB debugging.
    You probably don't need this, but just in case....
    Now you have to flash TWRP to the tablet again and then the rom, gapps and SuperSU (if you need root).
    For the former follow our guide here [GUIDE] How to Root/Install ROMs on the TF300. Jelly Bean KitKat and Lollipop ROMs
    Download the required TWRP version, rom, gapps and supersu from the rom thread here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/tra...t/rom-t3237867
    Read and follow the installation instructions in the OP of that thread!
    To summarize:
    Flash TWRP
    reboot
    boot into TWRP and format /data (takes 1 hour+)
    convert /data to f2fs
    flash rom, gapps and supersu
    reboot

enjoy
    TF700 on Android 7 Nougatella TF701 Katshmallow (Android 6.0.1) Nexus 5x on Pure Nexus Nougat/Google Fi

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the advice. After I posted this I read on a guide for flashing back to stock firmware and some other guides that fastboot should be used. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using TWRP instead of fastboot? Since TWRP will be removed in the flashing process, will the new firmware install completely before TWRP is removed if using TWRP to flash it? Not trying to question your advice, it's been a while since I've messed with Android. Thanks again for the help.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    676 times
    Quote Originally Posted by max2361 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. After I posted this I read on a guide for flashing back to stock firmware and some other guides that fastboot should be used. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using TWRP instead of fastboot? Since TWRP will be removed in the flashing process, will the new firmware install completely before TWRP is removed if using TWRP to flash it? Not trying to question your advice, it's been a while since I've messed with Android. Thanks again for the help.
    Either method is fine. I wrote "the easiest method" because most people are more comfortable using the touch interface in TWRP rather than a command line tool. But there's no reason you could not flash the system blob in fastboot. In both methods some bits, like the recovery and kernel, get written to the staging partition which exists only for one purpose: To hold stuff that needs to be flashed before it can be used.
    I actually applaud you wondering how you can use a recovery to replace itself. Can't overwrite an active partition, can you? That's why any recovery flash goes to staging first. On the next boot the bootloader checks staging before anything else and writes the contents to it's proper place.
    And you are very wise to question my advice. I got a new Nexus phone today and spent a few tense hours because I was stupid enough to accept an OTA system update BEFORE unlocking the bootloader, BEFORE installing a custom recovery and BEFORE enabling USB debugging. People think doing that stuff is scary?? NOT having access to the juicy parts is scary in my book. The system update went south, all I could boot into was fastboot (with a locked bootloader), a stock recovery stuck on a dead Andy with "no command" and the Google logo. Any other device would have been dead at this point, thank God it was a Nexus! They always leave you at least one more option....

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    I went to install the updated firmware through fastboot but I'm having a connection problem. When I connect the tablet to the PC nothing happens. I have USB debugging enabled; is there anything that I'm missing? I bought another cord thinking that it might be the problem but that didn't fix it. Do you think that accidentally wiping the the data from the bootloader might be causing problems? I guess that there's no downside to updating the firmware through TWRP and see if anything changes. If it doesn't at least I've have a new installation of the latest firmware. I just want to get your opinion on the best way to proceed. Thanks again.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links