Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: [GUIDE] How to manually update/restore firmware (TF101, TF201, TF300, TF700, TF701)

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Miro View Post
    I have had some freezing issues recently on certain apps. I checked the forum for ideas, and in the first instance checked for System Firmware Updates. There is a message "there is a system firmware update available for your device. Please check notifications", but the "check update" button is inactive (greyed out). I performed a cold boot, still the same. I downloaded the available firmware from the Asus website for my device - Version V9.2.1.27(WW) directly on my tablet, and extracted the zip file. Now what?! I can locate the file in the download folder, but cannot open it or do anything with it except keep extracting it! Do I need to download it on my PC onto an SD card and then slot that into the tablet? Or am I wasting my time anyway? My build number is the same, 9.2.1.27 followed by 20120615; the download from Asus has 2012.07.18
    Sorry if I sound a bit dim - this stuff is kinda above my pay-grade!
    The first thing you might want to try is a factory reset from Settings > Backup & reset.
    It will wipe all your apps and you should backup everything you care about before you do this. But that's necessary for any manual firmware update.... It may not wipe all your data, but it could. So backup everything to an external card or your PC, then factory reset and reinstall your apps from the Play Store.
    I have a feeling a factory reset is all you need.

But if you want to reflash the firmware, this is what you need to do.
    After you extracted the firmware once you end up with another zip, right?
    You have to put that zip into the root level of your internal storage, meaning on the same level the Downloads folder is - not inside the folder.
    Then the system should find it and notify you of an available update.
    I am not totally sure this method works on the Tf101. Never tried it myself.
    But if it doesn't work you can use EasyFlasher to flash the firmware. Checkout Frederuco's classic guide here:
    Frederuco's Guide to Root and ROM the TF101

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the tips. I successfully downloaded and transferred the firmware file to a micro SD card, which when slotted in to my tablet, showed up in the notifications. I went ahead and installed the update - but it's the same build no. etc. as before anyway: 9.2.1.27 - 20120615.
    When I check for system firmware updates via "about tablet" again, it still tells me there is an update available for my device. Strange?
    Anyway, I haven't had a freeze since, so I'll wait a bit to see if it still occurs before trying a factory reset - it's so boring to have to re-install all my apps!
    Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Miro View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I successfully downloaded and transferred the firmware file to a micro SD card, which when slotted in to my tablet, showed up in the notifications. I went ahead and installed the update - but it's the same build no. etc. as before anyway: 9.2.1.27 - 20120615.
    When I check for system firmware updates via "about tablet" again, it still tells me there is an update available for my device. Strange?
    Anyway, I haven't had a freeze since, so I'll wait a bit to see if it still occurs before trying a factory reset - it's so boring to have to re-install all my apps!
    You will get that notification as long as you have the firmware file on your tablet. It just recognizes the Asus file but doesn't know diddly what version it may be. Just delete the file and the notfication should be gone.
    Look into backup solutions for your apps and data!!! It's too late once the tablet does not boot anymore.
    Did the 101 come with Asus Backup? It's actually not bad.
    But there are other apps around to backup and restore your apps and settings. But yes - some work is always required. And after running a tablet for a year or more a factory reset and fresh install without all the accumulated junk can work wonders...

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the suggestion, I have now backed up everything using the Asus app. If I have any further problems, I will do a reset.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    OK, My wife's tablet gets in the habit of going into the boot loop mode without warning. In the past I have done hard resets & it recovered. Now in the hard reset mode I was getting a A03 driver could not be found in the small white script at the top of the device. The hard resets did not work, using the SD card the device would update, but not recover. Finally In a fit of anger I wiped all the device data & It restarted & is in the factory default condition. Any idea on what may be causing this problem? Bloatware? Tablet = Asus TF300T about 3 years old
    Last edited by callmeal; 01-11-2015 at 04:39 PM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Probably a corrupted data partition or parts thereof which is not surprising after 3 years of use. I totally wipe my tablets and phones at least once a year, reinstall sometimes from a backup, but I think it does make a difference to reinstall apps from scratch.
    How may apps got installed and deleted during the 3 years? They all left some crud behind. Not all apps are written very well and they may cause just a tiny conflict sometimes.
    Then you get the first sudden reboot. Not good for any OS to just crash. The more often it does that, the higher the chance that the crashes cause their own damage.
    If you really want to give the tablet a fresh start, totally wipe it, then flash the Asus firmware and setup from scratch. It's amazing how much of a difference a little maintenance can make...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the reply

Does it make a difference in the order since I updated & then wiped the data. Just asking if it's a "Put on sox, then put on shoes; not a put on shoes, then put on sox" (quote from a Chinese math professor I once had showing, that things had to be done in proper order)

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    No, in this case you can put on the shoes first, then clean the socks.
    Doesn't matter

It just feels "cleaner" to me to throw away the dirty socks before putting on the new shoes.
    Well, this analogy only goes so far, I think...

Anyway, if everything runs well, you did good.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF103
    Liked
    9 times
    It works for tf103c ?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by patates View Post
    It works for tf103c ?
    Nobody I know of has tried it, but at least Method A should work. I would be very surprised if Asus changed the procedure...
    Indicators that it will work:
    - Asus uses the same cryptic instructions for updating firmware on their TF103c support/downloads site as it did for all the other Android Transformers.
    - The instructions refer you to the manual a little lower on the download page for further instructions, which does not contain any steps for manually flashing (why would you be on their downloads site, if the "check for updates" procedure worked for you????????????). This also is consistent with all the other Transformers.
    - The downloaded file is a nested zip. Inside it is a "user.zip" - again consistent with earlier devices.

Do us all a big favor and try it! Follow the instructions under Method A and let us know if it worked.

Method B is a different puppy. If you would like to do us a HUGE (as opposed to "big") favor, download the firmware, unzip it once, load that file onto a blank microSD, insert it and see if you get an update notification.
    If not, boot the tablet into stock recovery and tell us what it does.
    Try this before trying Method A - just so that we know how and if Method B may work on the TF103c

If those attempts don't work, use Method A. I'm pretty confident it'll work.
    There's very little risk involved with this. The stock recovery will not flash anything to your tablet that was not meant for it. That's not saying there is NO risk... Breathing is risky....

Remember:
    You cannot downgrade with these methods. The firmware you are flashing has to be the same or higher than what you have now.
    You have to flash the correct SKU!
    You better backup everything you care about!
    Last edited by droidbound; 01-26-2015 at 09:35 PM.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links