Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: [GUIDE] How to update your firmware OTA - incremental changes & full OS updates.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2080 times

[GUIDE] How to update your firmware OTA - incremental changes & full OS updates.

We get many posts asking what is the best way to handle the OTA (over the air) firmware updates that are distributed or "pushed" by Asus to their Transformer and MeMo tablets. This thread seeks to give you the recommendations from many of the experienced Moderators here as to the best way to handle updates.

No-one should think that they have to do things in this way, but from our experience, you will get a much smoother update & far fewer glitches if you follow this guide.

This guide is applicable to all Asus Transformer or Asus MeMo devices, regardless of age. If you own the keyboard dock, always try to do any updates while docked.

Following these guides is done at your own risk. By following this guide, you agree to accept full & complete responsibility for doing so.

Normal, incremental updates

1. You receive a notification that a new firmware is ready to be installed. Or you have "checked for updates" in About Tablet & received notification after manually checking.

2. Download the update. (This will happen automatically when you check for an update or if the update is "pushed" to your device)

3. Cold boot...(thanks to Leeshor for this process)
    Cold Boot (aka Hard Reset)
    Unplug the power cord and shut the unit off. Press and hold the VOL DOWN and then POWER button at the same time for at least 10-12 seconds until after the start-up screen appears and is joined by some small print at the top left of the screen then let them both go. If the TF booted the way it always does, you have not accomplished the task, try again until you have seen the 2 icons, (if you have Jelly Bean there will be 4 icons, the left most being RCK, which is correct), in the screen.

After a few seconds you should see a couple of shapes in the middle of the screen called "Wipe Data" and "Android". The right "Android" will have a green highlight fading in and out. Wait a few more seconds until the term "Cold Booting Linux" appears in the list near the top of the screens and let it reboot. If you own a keyboard dock be sure you do this with the dock connected. If you are using JB there will be 4 icons, disregard the 2-4 icons unless instructed and the 1st icon (RCK) will be flashing..

If your TF is on 4.2 press vol down key to choose middle Android icon & once you do that press the vol up key, that will start the cold boot process.

This applies to all TF models, however, if your Prime or Infinity are locked up, there is a reset available using the hole just below the SD Card slot, this is NOT the same as a hard reset.

A cold boot/ hard reset does not delete any user data. It simply clears various caches & gives a very clean boot.
    4. Apply (install) the update. This is done by tapping the update notification in the notification area, adjacent to the clock in the bottom right of your screen.

5. Cold boot again

6. Now continue to use your device.

Updates that include a change of OS

1. You receive a notification that a new firmware is ready to be installed. Or you have "checked for updates" in About Tablet & received notification after manually checking.

2. Download the update. (This will happen automatically when you check for an update or if the update is "pushed" to your device)

3. Cold boot...(thanks to Leeshor for this process)
    Cold Boot (aka Hard Reset)
    Unplug the power cord and shut the unit off. Press and hold the VOL DOWN and then POWER button at the same time for at least 10-12 seconds until after the start-up screen appears and is joined by some small print at the top left of the screen then let them both go. If the TF booted the way it always does, you have not accomplished the task, try again until you have seen the 2 icons, (if you have Jelly Bean there will be 4 icons, the left most being RCK, which is correct), in the screen.

After a few seconds you should see a couple of shapes in the middle of the screen called "Wipe Data" and "Android". The right "Android" will have a green highlight fading in and out. Wait a few more seconds until the term "Cold Booting Linux" appears in the list near the top of the screens and let it reboot. If you own a keyboard dock be sure you do this with the dock connected. If you are using JB there will be 4 icons, disregard the 2-4 icons unless instructed and the 1st icon (RCK) will be flashing..

If your TF is on 4.2 press vol down key to choose middle Android icon & once you do that press the vol up key, that will start the cold boot process.

This applies to all TF models, however, if your Prime or Infinity are locked up, there is a reset available using the hole just below the SD Card slot, this is NOT the same as a hard reset.

A cold boot/ hard reset does not delete any user data. It simply clears various caches & gives a very clean boot.
    4. Apply (install) the update. This is done by tapping the update notification in the notification area, adjacent to the clock in the bottom right of your screen.

5. Cold boot again

6. Backup apps & data using the Asus appbackup utility in your app drawer. I found it easier to do this in three or four "groups" of apps. Reading, Media, Games, General. Copy these backups to an external storage - microSD, SD or whatever you have. Maybe cloud storage such as Dropbox, or Box.

It is essential to save the Adobe Flash Player app at this stage as it no longer appears in the Play Store for new installations. If you need to, you can download it safely & directly from Adobe.
    Adobe Direct Download Click/tap that link.

Scroll down the page until you reach the Android section, specifically, this part... "Flash Player for Android 4.0 archives" The download you want is... Flash Player 11.1.for Android 4.0 (11.1.115.20)
    If there is a newer version available - ie with the last two digits higher than .20, select that.

7. Backup any other files - photos, videos, documents, epubs etc to an external storage as above.

8. Remove the external storage

Following the next section will wipe your Transformer. Please ensure you have backed up your apps & all files and data before proceeding.

9. Go to SETTINGS - BACKUP & RESET - FACTORY DATA RESET (Do not allow the automatic reinstalling of apps)

10. Allow the process to finish. When it restarts skip all the account setting up & wifi passwords etc and repeat the process twice more. For some reason it has been reported that doing the wipe three times is more successful, although there is no reason why this should be so.

11. Having reset three times, go through the new install process properly, adding your account/s & wifi details.

12. Restoring Adobe Flash player... EITHER use the Asus Appbackup app to backup & restore this app (recommended) or, if you have the .apk...

In settings, security, allow the installation of apps from unknown sources.
    Copy the Adobe Flash Player .apk file back to your device.
    Open the File Manager & tap the Adobe Flash Player .apk file to install it.
    Go back to settings, security, & untick (disallow) the installation of apps from unknown sources.

13. From the Play Store update any Asus supplied apps - Kindle for example, Maps etc, etc

14. Finally, restore your photos, docs etc & reinstall your apps from the backups, one group at a time & cold boot between each group that you restore.

15. Now do a final Cold Boot and enjoy your new OS.

Remember, everything in this guide is recommended, not mandatory. If you don't want to take the time, or just don't think that you should have to "go to all this trouble" then that's fine. This approach is what many here recommend & many others have found it very helpful, but the decision to follow the recommendation is yours alone.
    Last edited by janner43; 03-25-2013 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Added Asus MeMo range

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ Android Guides - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1502 times
    Nicely done sir!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    4 times
    "7. Backup any other files - photos, videos, documents, epubs etc to an external storage as above.

8. Remove the external storage

Following the next section will wipe your Transformer. Please ensure you have backed up your apps & all files and data before proceeding.

9. Go to SETTINGS - BACKUP & RESET - FACTORY DATA RESET (Do not allow the automatic reinstalling of apps)"
    I thank you for all the information, but I (personally) shudder at the thought of a factory reset.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Also, I have one other question. I was reading in a thread somewhere that said you have to "get your SD Card ready to use" and had some information about having to make "folders" on the disc.. am I imagining things?!

And I want to get this right, if I update with what was downloaded to me and do a cold boot, and then go get the newest update, I need to cold boot again?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2080 times
    Hi Lori,

If you get a new microSD or SD card of 32gb or less it should "just work"
    As to cold booting, do it as often as you like. It does nothing but good.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    172 times
    Small question that has been bugging me ... Why the cold boot when updating to a new firmware ? Does it mean I have to re-install all other apps ?

Otherwise nicely done Janner

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2080 times
    Thanks Doc
    A cold boot doesn't delete any user data Doc, so nothing to cause extra work there.

The full wipe is recommended with an OS change in a similar way that upgrading an OS on a desktop or laptop is upgraded. Yes, you can simply do an update, but it is always better to do a completely new installation.
    DrMightySnake likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    3 times
    I'm sorry, but where exactly is the appbackup program? Don't know what or where the "app drawer" is.

Thanks
    TF700 64GB, Champagne, with Keyboard

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2080 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lmb02 View Post
    I'm sorry, but where exactly is the appbackup program? Don't know what or where the "app drawer" is.

Thanks
    It's the name of where all your apps are.
    Y'know, tapping the six little rectangles in the top right corner of your home screen gets you there.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Hi Lori,

If you get a new microSD or SD card of 32gb or less it should "just work"
    As to cold booting, do it as often as you like. It does nothing but good.
    I have been trying, but would you believe that I still can't do a cold boot? I'm having surgery next week, so I can't get to calling to see if anything is wrong. Have you heard of anyone else having that problem?

On a positive note, I downloaded Boat the other day. I wish I got it on day one. Love it!

Well, I don't like it for this forum. It would not post my reply. Glad Of autosave and of being able to copy and padte. But, that's it's second flaw.nFirst is, no spel chekcer
    Last edited by Lori; 09-08-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    907 times
    Lori:

Try holding the volume down button then go to the power button and press it while holding the volume down for about 10 seconds- this should start your Cold Boot.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads