Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: [GUIDE] How to update your firmware OTA - incremental changes & full OS updates.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    170 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eejit View Post
    Not to confuse anyone, but is there a reason why you install the update AND THEN backup your apps?
    The last couple days I've been backing up my personal stuff/documents/books etc...and today I did the
    app/data backup via the App Backup. In jotting down these instructions, I realized it was apply update--then
    cold boot & do the app backup.

Am I moron? (rhetorical)
    I mean...should I toss my backup & repeat that step after installing the Jelly Bean'R Machine'R?
    I think it's just a precaution to have your apps patched (updated) with the latest fixes and enhancement before backing them up. So you won't encounter a failed to restore issue and to have Flash restored.

Super Moderator & Forum Sleuth
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1118 times
    Good, glad I asked--thanks.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    8 times
    Thanks eegit .. you just read my mind. I came to post the same question. Why on earth are we installing JB and then restoring the tablet to factory Condition? How do you then get JB back? Will the update still be there or do we then do a manual search for updates. Perhaps that's the answer, but I wish there was a definitive answer... that is if there is one. Perhaps the definitive recommendation from Janner is what I was hoping for.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by cognitoo; 09-27-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    A factory data reset is a reset for the current version of Android you are on. It will take you back to factory for that firmware version, if you are on JB after the reset you will still be on JB, it will not take you back to ICS.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    8 times
    Oooooooh I always thought it was what it is indeed called.. "a factory reset" and as is described as being "returning your device to the way you received from the factory"

Perhaps I'm not understanding step 11. Am I reading that correct? Factory reset, follow install properly etc. Does that mean install the OS from the download screen again? Or are we assuming that, as you say, it is still running JB and on the third factory reset, complete registration with wifi password etc.

The confusing word here is "install" ... perhaps it should be "setup"
    Last edited by cognitoo; 09-28-2012 at 12:17 AM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1118 times
    No, you only install the update once cognitoo.
    After installing the update, you do 3 wipes--or factory resets.
    The factory resets will wipe all the crap off your machine, except for the newly installed update...in this case Jelly Bean.
    --as stated, there is no reason why three is the magic #...just seems to work better--

Think of 'factory setting' not so much as the OS it came with, but an updated OS and factory 'the rest'.
    ie. none of the data/apps/errors you've added since it danced outta the factory. It's clean again, with a new OS.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    8 times

Ok then, like I thought above, step 11 means "complete setup" ... not "...install..." as it is written.

Thanks again Janner for OP
    Last edited by cognitoo; 09-28-2012 at 03:24 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Question concerning the cold/hard reboot. I have a TF201 Prime. Every time I have ever done a hard reboot of the system I simply start a full reboot of the device...I have never seen the option for "wipe data" and "android"...at least not that I can remember. Is this something with the TF300 only? Thank you for all the instruction.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    4 times
    And, now a second update (incremental) and sine I couldn't do a cold reboot before, I haven't bothered to try one. But, oh yipee! So far iit's crashed three of the browsers I use to get what I need. They were running, so maybe they just needed resarts. I don't know. All my time so far and web rhings can go or act very weird.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1118 times
    Quote Originally Posted by echofire View Post
    Question concerning the cold/hard reboot. I have a TF201 Prime. Every time I have ever done a hard reboot of the system I simply start a full reboot of the device...I have never seen the option for "wipe data" and "android"...at least not that I can remember. Is this something with the TF300 only? Thank you for all the instruction.
    Echo, you don't have to wipe your data from the cold boot/hard reset screen.
    Cold boot/hard reset is the same thing, I'm gonna call it cold boot because that's what the screen says when it's happening.
    You can factory reset your machine by going to Settings/Backup & Reset and choosing the Factory Data Reset option.

When you cold boot your tf201, you can use the volume up/down buttons to change from a cold boot to a factory reset, if you do
    nothing...it cold boots. If you use your Volume toggle, you can change that to do a factory reset. (Jelly Bean now has more options when you cold boot.) Don't fret it though...just do your factory resets from within Settings, and cold boot from the power button....you'll be laffing.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links