Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1636 times

[GUIDE] Transferring files to and from your Transformer

There are quite a few options for moving pasting cutting and copying files to and from your Transformer. This is a mini guide. I am intentionally leaving out a direct connection due to the number of people who have problems with connecting their TF to a computer, though for many people it works just fine. These are alternatives.

Best long term and easiest solution:

Purchase a microSD card, (a regular SD card if you have a dock). If the purpose is to transfer files it doesn't need to be especially big, fast or expensive but make certain it's a brand name purchased from a reputable source. Some microSD cards can be purchased with a USB card reader in a bundle if you don't have a card reader in your computer.

Apps for file management from your computer:

WiFi File Explorer
    and WiFi File Transfer are only 2 of the apps that will allow you to browse your TF from your computer and will allow you to transfer files in both directions.

File managers on your Transformer:

ES File Explorer and File Manager HD are 2 of my favorites though the default file manager will get the job done. Each has the ability, (along with other file managers like Astro) to browse a share on your computer or network and allows you to cut/copy/paste individual or groups of files, (multi select), in either direction. You must have a share on your computer for this to work. I think ES File Explorer is the easiest, especially if you have a fixed IP address for your computers.

The cloud option:

I have more cloud storage available on my Transformer than I could possibly use, over 65GB. The single most useful way to do this is by getting DropBox. a 2GB account is free, but other free options with various amounts of free storage include, Cubby (from the LogMeIn people), Box.net (BOX on the Google Store), and Google Docs are just a few options. What I like about DropBox s that a stub is installed on my computers and anything I put into the DropBox folder becomes available very quickly on my TF and the same goes for sending files, (through "share") from the TF.

You also may want to check out Sugarsync for something very similar to DropBox.

Another option:

I have an app on my TF from Wyse Technology called Pocket Cloud Explore. This also requires a small program install on my computers. With Pocket Cloud Explorer I have access to ALL the data on my 3 computers in my office anywhere I have an Internet connection. I can open docs on my desktop computers and save them on my TF.

Hope this makes things a little easier and/or more flexible for some of you.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    27 times
    I have converted my entire family away from Apple products and on to Android devices. Most modern routers support DLNA when a USB drive is plugged in to it. My kids have put all their music and videos on this drive and can easily access it using ES File Explorer via LAN or by using one of the many DLNA players found in the Store.

Great guide!

...Muzz
    leeshor likes this.
    64 GB - TF201
    Build: JRO03C.WW_epad-10.4.2.15-20120917

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    4 times
    Totally awesome and great info to have. I've printed it out. Thank you!

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
    I have converted my entire family away from Apple products and on to Android devices. Most modern routers support DLNA when a USB drive is plugged in to it. My kids have put all their music and videos on this drive and can easily access it using ES File Explorer via LAN or by using one of the many DLNA players found in the Store.

...Muzz
    The ASUS MyNet app is all you need for DLNA.
    Last edited by SkookumPete; 08-27-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    51 times
    Did I miss something? I'm having trouble setting up ES File Explore on my TF101(unrooted) to use from my iMac via LAN. I follow the add new box in ES for the server but keep getting server not found errors.
    1. both are using the same wifi , but I do NOT have access to the router- I'm a 'guest'
    2. I have marked a folder on my iMac for sharing
    3. I am unfamiliar with networking stuff
    4. yes I know of Dropbox and such, as well as USB and SD cards
    5. I am having similar trouble with Splashtop
    I apologize if I posted in the wrong thread

Advice welcomed, apple haters ... please refrain

scott
    iMac 21.5" 2011 12GB OSX 10.9.5, Asus V5-131 8GB Win7, Asus 1015E 2GB Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
    TF101 32GB JB 4.4.4 KatKiss-KitKat 33 KatApp 1.5.3 LMT 2.1 TWRP 2.8.0.2 Recovery

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Umm... USB drives work fine too from the dock of course.

Oddly, I can't connect my HTC phone to it though?
    Anyone else have problems connecting their phone to the dock?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    This seems too complicated. I have a USB adapter that I plug into the bottom of the T300 where the charger goes...I'm told I then use app: File Manager, I would prefer to do it this way sounds easier, anyone know how? I NEED SIMPLE!

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2318 times
    Quote Originally Posted by npad View Post
    This seems too complicated. I have a USB adapter that I plug into the bottom of the T300 where the charger goes...I'm told I then use app: File Manager, I would prefer to do it this way sounds easier, anyone know how? I NEED SIMPLE!
    Plug your USB stick into the USB adaptor which is in your tablet. When the USB drive shows up in the notification area (bottom right of your screen, where the clock is) tap the notification & it will open the File Manager app for you & show you the contents of the USB stick. From there you can move/copy the files onto the tablets internal memory.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    I did that, but for only one pic, then it wouldn't give me option to do again, think I need to unplug, replug the adapter in. ??? and, I was trying to "share" on Picasa, but I'd rather use Snapfish....???? I will try again tonight when I get home. Just want to get pix somewhere safe for later use, etc. and clear up the camera, so that it is ready for travel pix come Thurs. Thank you. p.s.: I'm not as familiar with all these gadgets.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

from another thread

I found that ASUS PC Sync does not install properly(Win XP) because Windows does not recognise the digital signature on the drivers

see the 2nd page of the thread here:Frustration Transferring Files to TF300
    for the fix

In summary: Turn off digital signing in Windows, Install drivers, turn on signing. Problem solved, for me at least

Hope that helps

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads