Page 1 of 50 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: [FAQ] The definitive thread to battery related matters on the Asus range of tablets

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2251 times

[FAQ] The definitive thread to battery related matters on the Asus range of tablets

So many posts get made about battery issues, that it seemed sensible to have one thread to rule them all
    With apologies to JRR Tolkien, off we go...

The information in this thread applies to both the Asus Transformer & Asus MeMo tablet range.

(Any TFF Staff feel free to edit this post to add model specific detail )

IMPORTANT BASICS

• To prolong battery life, fully charge the battery for up to 8 hours when using your Asus tablet for the first time and whenever the battery power is fully depleted.

• If you own the dock (Transformer range) charge both devices together the first time for 8 hours at least & until the green "fully charged" light shows

• If you own the dock you can charge either device together - ie docked - or individually using the wall charger.

• The Transformer cannot be charged via USB when it is connected to the keyboard dock & when charging via USB will charge slowly at around 3% per hour.

• Asus do not recommend leaving your device permanently connected to A/C power. Doing so will likely shorten the life of both charger & batteries

• All batteries have a finite number of charging cycles. All Asus tablet devices have lithium based batteries which do not suffer from the same "memory flaw" as ni-cad batteries. Because of this, more frequent charges will benefit the life of your battery, while regular & frequent "deep cycling" (running the battery to a low percentage before charging back to full) will shorten the life of your battery.
    Ref: interesting article about batteries

A note to worriers - or "rumour control, here are the facts"

Notice the detail in the wording of explanations...

EG "regular & frequent" doesn't mean "once a month" - it means "every day"

Here is a link to the Asus Battery Information Centre (found by Swipe ) - aimed at notebook users, the science still applies to the batteries in Asus tablets.
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- ASUS Battery Information Center

In it, they state, " Lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries typically have a lifespan of between 300 and 500 cycles. With moderate use, Lithium-ion batteries can be expected to deliver around 80% of their original capacity after 300 cycles or about one year of use."

As I have often said, li-ion batteries have a limited number of recharge cycles - to quote Asus, that probably means 500 full deep cycles. Again, to quote Asus, this means if you use your tf for its full battery length every day & are only able to charge it once a day (a full deep cycle) then at the end of 10 months (300 days) your battery will only have 80% of its original capacity. By 17 months (500 days) it may need replacing.

You can extend this battery life if you are able to do more frequent, smaller charges with the optimum point being charging back to full when the battery has been used down to 50%. Charging at that point can extend the life of your battery by up to 50% meaning that you will then get 450 days (15 months) to 80% capacity .
    How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Finally, some may not want things to be this way, but as someone once said...

"I canna change the laws of physics, Captain". Montgomery Scott, Chief Engineer, USS Enterprise, NCC 1701.

Practically speaking, you cannot "damage" your battery unless you allow it to heat up to temperatures of around 60C. All lithium based batteries have certain things in common...
    1. They have a finite number of charge cycles
    2. They only reach their optimum capacity after 3-5 full charging cycles - say from around 10% to full
    3. They prefer more frequent small charges to less frequent deep cycling

Now, stop worrying & obsessing & enjoy your Asus tablet.

TRANSFORMER DOCKING / CHARGING CONNECTION (multi pin)
    • Insert the power adapter into this port to supply power to your Transformer and charge the internal battery pack. To prevent damage to your Transformer and battery pack, always use the bundled power adapter.
    • Use only the power adapter that comes with your device. Using a different power adapter may damage your device.
    • Using the provided power adapter and USB cord to connect your Transformer to a power outlet is the best way to charge the Transformer .
    • The input voltage range between the wall outlet and this adapter is AC 100V–240V, and the output voltage of this adapter is DC 15V, 1.2A.
    • To prolong battery life, fully charge the battery for up to 8 hours when using the Transformer for the first time and whenever the battery power is fully depleted.
    • TFxxxx can be charged via the USB port on the computer only when it is in sleep mode (screen off) or powered off.
    (A little hit & miss under ICS)
    • Charging through the USB port may take longer time to complete.
    • If the computer does not provide enough power for charging Eee Pad, use the wall outlet instead.

KEYBOARD DOCK
    Battery Charge Indicator (dual-color)
    With AC adapter:

* Green ON: Battery power is between 95% and 100%.
    * Orange ON: Battery power is less than 95%.
    * Orange Blinking: Battery power is less than 10%.
    * Orange Blinking Quickly: Battery power is less than 3%.

Without AC adapter and with Transformer :
    * Orange Blinking Quickly: Battery power is less than 3%.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFoxMan View Post
    Here's what I observed when charging docked tablet via PC USB.
    * - Tablet charging indicator lit (charges ~ 3%/hr per OP)
    * - Dock charging indicator not lit (no charging occurs even after tablet is 100%)
    * - Dock will not charge with or without tablet attached
    * - Using standard USB extender cable with the AC Adapter will charge tablet but not the dock (I assume it does not provide power to the pins needed for dock charging)
    One comment on the final point in the quote above. Any extension cable used for this purpose needs to be USB 3 compliant. USB 2 just doesn't work.

Charging Process

TF101
    * The charger charges the docked combo all together.
    * When fully charged, the dock is discharged first and the tablet battery remains at or around 100%. Once the dock reaches about 3% it will start using the tablet battery to power the system until the tablet battery reaches 3%. The idea is to deplete the dock battery and keep the tablet battery just about fully charged.

The way the combo works is that the dock does not charge the tablet continuously. I believe the percentages are along the following lines..
    Dock 100%
    Tablet 100%

When docked, the dock battery is used primarilly to power the system. The dock battery will also charge the tablet if the tablet battery is below 90%, and it will recharge it back to 100% if enough dock battery remains and then stop charging the tablet. If the tablet has 95% charge when it is docked, the tablet battery will not be recharged.

If the tablet is being used, then the dock "powers" the tablet, balancing the charge rate with a direct bias to ensure that the dock will eventually drop to 3-5% with the tablet at around 90%.

The dock shouldn't allow itself to become any more discharged than 3-5% & neither should the tablet. Android will warn you when the tablet drops to 14%.

The dock will still continue to function until the tablet shuts off.
    TF201/TF300/TF700/TF701
    * The charger charges the docked combo all together.
    * When fully charged, the tablet uses the charge first, then the dock charges the tablet. The idea being that the dock battery will be depleted while maintaining the tablet battery. See below...

The way the combo works is that the dock does not charge the tablet continuously. I believe the percentages are along the following lines..
    Dock 100%
    Tablet 100%

Tablet uses charge until the level is around 70%. At this point the dock will recharge the tablet back up to around 90%, if the tablet is not being used.

If the tablet is being used, then the dock "powers" the tablet, balancing the charge rate with a direct bias to ensure that the dock will eventually drop to 3-5% with the tablet at around 90%.

The dock shouldn't allow itself to become any more discharged than 3-5% & neither should the tablet. Android will warn you when the tablet drops to 14%.

The dock will still continue to function until the tablet shuts off.

MeMo Range

The Asus MeMo range uses a charger which is 5v/2a
    A PC USB port is rated at 5v/500ma - so it will charge 4 times more slowly than the Asus wall charger. If a full charge takes 8 hours, that could mean a 32 hour charging time.

Asus specify the following with regards to charging...
    • Charge your MeMO Pad for eight (8) hours before using it in battery mode for the first time.
    • Your MeMO Pad can be charged via the USB port on the computer only when it is in sleep mode (screen off ) or powered off.
    • Charging through the USB port may take longer time to complete.
    • If your computer does not provide enough power for charging your MeMO Pad, charge your MeMO Pad via the grounded socket outlet instead.
    • Do not leave the MeMO Pad connected to the power supply once it is fully charged. MeMO Pad is not designed to be left connected to the power supply for extended periods of time

[SOLVED] My tablet will not charge without being docked.

Please read through the quoted posts below for this problem - if an undocked cold boot does not fix this, then you will need to return your TF to Asus as it has a hardware fault.

Quote Originally Posted by z33tec View Post
    This is probably a long shot and I'm assuming I will be doing an RMA, but thought I'd ask anyway...

I just noticed that my tablet will not charge without being docked. I typically always keep my TF700 docked and only detach the tablet every so often (to play games on the crapper, or in bed, etc.) A few nights back, I decided to charge it without putting it back in the dock. Woke up and it was dead. No charge. Put it in the dock and plugged the charger in. Charged fine. Thought it was just some fluke. Drained battery down to about 65% and gave charging just the tablet another shot. Nothing. Funny thing is, I noticed that if I turn the screen off, it will turn back on when I plug the charger in. It just doesn't charge.

When I use the charging USB cable to connect to my PC, the PC recognizes it just fine and the tablet kicks off ASUS PC sync tool.

Tried doing a cold boot. Didn't help. Haven't tried doing a factory reset yet, but will try that before I call ASUS for an RMA.

Since the charger works fine when charging the dock, it shouldn't be a charger issue. Since connecting the tablet to my PC with the USB cable works fine, the USB cable is good and the charging port on the tablet is at least recognizing connections (as well as the docking connection.)

I'm at a loss other than it's some sort of hardware issue with the charging port on the tablet that isn't working right for charging but is working fine otherwise.

Any help is appreciated before I bite the bullet and call ASUS.
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Welcome to the forum

Three bits of advice...
    1. Try a cold boot undocked & then try again (link in signature)
    2. Have a read through our battery/charging guide thread linked from the Master Help Guide (link in signature)

But sadly, I don't have much hope for 1 or 2, so I expect 3 will come as no surprise...

3. Contact Asus - Factory Reset your device to protect your privacy prior to returning it though. We have a guide in the Master Help Guide that covers that process, including backing up your data.

Good luck
    Thanks. Tried a cold boot undocked already. Read through the battery/charging guide with no luck. Option 3 is my next step unless someone else has run into this and managed to fix it in a less intrusive way.
    Just a final update for anyone who runs into the same issue. I just got the tablet back from Asus and it is charging fine now. Hopefully it stays this way. No idea what they did to fix it as it just says they repaired it in the description. Took 15 days for the whole RMA process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asus_USA View Post
    Glad to hear everything works now after the RMA z33tec. If you want, shoot me an e-mail to the e-mail address in my signature. Include your RMA number and I can check to see exactly what they did. If I remember correctly, the tablet being unable to charge from the cable but able to be charged from the dock is due to a bad charging port, or more specifically a bad pin.

[SOLVED] My tablet won't charge.

We often get questions such as " My tablet has stopped charging & I have ruled out the problem being either the charger or the cable. What do I do?". If this happens to you, then...

Possibly your battery has been allowed to become flattened to the point where it cannot accept a charge from the wall charger. the best thing to do is to try and trickle charge your tablet from a low voltage/amperage connection. Either a powered on PC USB port to the charging connector on your tablet, or from a low power phone charger (5v/500ma). It has been pretty well documented that lithium batteries do not like to be drained fully & it may be that the battery in your tablet has drained so low that it cannot accept a charge from the Asus a/c charger.

Try a trickle charge for 8-10 hours (or longer) on your tablet & see if that gets enough charge into your battery to enable it to recognise & accept a charge from the a/c charger.

The only other suggestion, other than contacting Asus to arrange for a hardware repair, is to face opening up your device (if it is out of warranty) & checking the cables are connected correctly & possibly replacing the battery.

[SOLVED] My dock won't charge.

We often get questions such as " My dock has stopped charging. My tablet charges, so the charger & cable are OK, but my dock just won't charge. What do I do?". If this happens to you, then...

Try this...
    1. With the combo docked try a cold boot (link in signature)
    2. Try charging overnight

If that doesn't get a result, try them both again, but before doing 1, charge the combo for 2 hours, then with the charger still attached, do the cold boot.

The only other suggestion to add to the above is to try and trickle charge your dock (only your dock - disconnected from your tablet) from a low voltage connection. Either a powered on PC USB port to the 40pin connector on your dock, or from a low voltage phone charger (5v/500ma). It has been pretty well documented that lithium batteries do not like to be drained fully & it may be that the battery in your dock has drained so low that it cannot accept a charge from the Asus 15v charger.

Try a trickle charge for 8-10 hours (or longer) on your dock & see if that gets enough charge into your battery to enable it to recognise & accept a charge from the a/c charger.

It might work, or it might not - but it is the only other suggestion I can think of other than contacting Asus to arrange for a hardware repair.

[SOLVED] Help! "My device is turning off when it still reports having charge left." Or "my device will only charge to xx%" - or something very similar.

Accurate battery charge reporting (calibration).

Occasional full recharges, perhaps once every 8-12 weeks - from around 10% to full - are a good idea as this enables the software reporting of the level of charge in the battery to stay accurate.

Calibration occurs naturally by occasionally running the tablet down until the battery is fully depleted and “Low Battery” appears. The full discharge sets the discharge flag, and the subsequent recharge sets the charge flag. By establishing these two markers, the battery can calculate the state-of-charge by knowing the distance between the flags

If you have a tablet that is not reporting full charge levels, or inaccurate charge levels, a couple of full "low battery - recharge to full" cycles will invariably resolve that issue.

It will work best if you connect the tablet to the a/c charger and then power off the tablet. This enables the battery to charge without any need for it to maintain a powered on device. So the process would be...
    • Tablet reports "low battery"
    • Promptly finish whatever you were doing
    • Connect to the a/c charger
    • Switch on the a/c power
    • Power off the tablet until the device is fully charged

BATTERY / POWER RELATED THREADS
    While all other battery threads are likely to be closed in favour of this one, some do stand alone as worthy.

interesting article about batteries

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...al-thread.html

[RS Guide] - Power/Lock button issues?

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...arge-boot.html

http://www.transformerforums.com/for...d-charger.html

Please discuss, ask questions and generally enjoy.
    Last edited by janner43; 01-05-2014 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Added calibration charge detail.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1546 times
    Well done Janner43

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2251 times
    Dear TransformerForums,

I want to travel to another country with my Transformer. Do I need a different power charger?

Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    You do not need anything other than just a plug converter. The standard charger works with 220 VAC, 110 VAC as well as 50 and 60 Hz. It is clearly written on the side of the charger...

I have one of these:

Targus Travel Adapters

Collapsed:

Expanded:

Never had an issue finding a place to plug in.

Also, a lot of hotels in major cities have the standard US 110 VAC plugs at the desks as well as in the bathroom for a shaver.
    Last edited by janner43; 07-16-2012 at 10:38 AM.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi, on Hol and lost my charger. The tablet (201) charges (slowly) with a 5v charger but the keyboard doesn't seem to at all. Normal?

Robert

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    870 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Dear TransformerForums,

I want to travel to another country with my Transformer. Do I need a different power charger?
    Please note that the link to the Targus device takes one to a carrying case...not the charger pack.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA WIN 8.1 & ASUS TF101 ANDROID TABLETS

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2251 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    Please note that the link to the Targus device takes one to a carrying case...not the charger pack.
    Good spot That's changed in the last few days then, cos when I added the post it was OK. Link now removed.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2251 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Boab View Post
    Hi, on Hol and lost my charger. The tablet (201) charges (slowly) with a 5v charger but the keyboard doesn't seem to at all. Normal?

Robert
    Yes, Robert. Its normal. The proper charger generates 15v. New ones are available here...

http://www.asusparts.eu/index.php?cP..._222535_222536
    jeanine_delray likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Can anyone explain what exactly the icons below the native battery meter under settings are meant to show? I see apps appearing there randomly. What do the percentages mean? Attached a screenshot. Attachment 3893

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1546 times
    You're looking at the apps that have used significant battery.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Hmmmm....that's what I thought. Is it normal to have the screen at the top of that list? Mines always got screen on top showing anywhere between 95-97%. I'm assuming that means the screen is hogging all the power. Would that be normal? How come I don't find wifi on the list? And I have no idea how siegecraft is even on that list....haven't used that app in a while. Btw....all my apps are set to not update automatically. Seems I don't quite understand the information its showing.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 50 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Ads