Page 63 of 64 FirstFirst ... 13 53 61 62 63 64 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: [FAQ] The definitive thread to battery related matters on the Asus range of tablets

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

Unhappy TF300 keyboard responsive when docked, but refuses to charge

Hi,

I have had the TF700 tablet for 2 years now. I originally had the TF300 tablet+dock, but I upgraded the TF300 tablet to the TF700 and kept the same keyboard. I never had a problem charging both together. Then I stopped using them for a while and noticed the next time I tried to charge the keyboard while docked that it won't charge. I have tried charging it directly from the wall with the original cord/charger - nothing. I tried charging through a PC and I didn't see a difference. What can I do? The keyboard isn't under warranty.

Thanks!

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2816 times
    Welcome to the forum

You'll find an immense amount of guidance in this thread. If the tips in the first post don't help then you are likely faced with a hardware issue that could be located in the connection between the dock & tablet.

Thread merged

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you. I tried everything in that post. I am not sure what you mean about it being a hardware issue. The tablet charges via the keyboard, but the keyboard itself doesn't charge. I thought perhaps it could be the battery. What do I do to get that fixed?

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2816 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Catgirl78 View Post
    Thank you. I tried everything in that post. I am not sure what you mean about it being a hardware issue. The tablet charges via the keyboard, but the keyboard itself doesn't charge. I thought perhaps it could be the battery. What do I do to get that fixed?
    Well, the only things I can suggest are contained in the first post in the section entitled...
    [SOLVED] My dock won't charge.

If you do need to replace the battery you'll need to search Ebay or similar for one.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    7 times
    TF700, 4-1/2 years old, flashed to 5.1.1, last winter, abruptly quit charging while on Christmas vacation. Got home and it charged once on the dock, but not again. My dilemma: This tablet isn't cherry, the battery's probably old and needs replacing, but it is common for a battery to go dead instantly w/ no previous signs of short cycling or slow/incomplete charging? Several weeks prior to this it went into a reboot loop for unknown reasons, to the point where it became hot and I could only shut it down using TeamWin power-off option--possible relationship there? It's obviously beyond any warranty repair and I suspect it's not worth the cost of cash repair, so it probably needs to be replaced. But is there any practical way of determining if the battery is so far gone that it just won't take a charge, or if there is a more serious fault with the charging circuitry before buying a new battery? I've tried every option of the "Definitive Guide" and some others. The wall charger works ok charging a cell phone and, of course, charged to 100% through the dock that one last time.

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    224 times
    Did you see any symptoms like the tablet not lasting long between charges? (Wait, you just said - no symptoms.) It's a bit difficult to tell. In my general experience batteries don't normally konk out completely, they just become very inefficient (lasting a few minutes on a charge). This typically happens with worn-out/heated laptop batteries.
    It's possible that protection circuitry in the battery can fail, although I have not seen that personally. It could as well be circuitry in the tablet itself.

My equally old tf700t still works fine, battery is ok.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    7 times
    SOLVED! Hindsight is a reciprocal of an oversight! As mentioned above I had deployed most of the suggested solutions to charging problems w/o success. The charge-wart charged a cell phone, the tablet charged on the dock but only once. Then I realized it probably only charged from a residual in the dock and the dock wasn't charging further either. With close inspection of the power plug, I could see a couple of the tiny contact prongs dislodged and out of place. I was able to tease them in place, plugged it into the dock, and it charged the whole system in about 6-7 hours to 100%. It was then kept running w/ lowered display light level and I caught up on some surfing and emails today and the battery indicator shows a straight-line discharge over a period of 4 hours to about 20% now. I'm thinking that would be about normal for an older battery. I'll leave it run a little longer and set it back on the dock for recharging. After tenderly replacing that plug into the dock this morning to find it worked ok, I taped it in place until a new charge/data cord arrives. and will just use the tablet independently.

Another question: Are all the charge cords for Transformers and Infinity's the same? I see some advertised for the T100-200-300 while others state they are for the whole gamut. I didn't know if they had different connectors or configurations.

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    224 times
    I don't know about the T100 and other Windows transformers. The Android TF101, TF201, TF700T, and the TF300 all use the same cable. But only the TF201/TF700T docks are interchangeable. The TF701 uses a slightly different cable.

These cables (ASUS originals as well as copies) are prone to failure. I buy a bunch of them at the time and always bring a couple of spares when I travel somewhere. When it stops charging I replace the cable, problem solved. It actually helped when I bought extra long cables.. slightly less risk of accidentally pulling the cable the wrong way when moving the tablet. But they will eventually fail too.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    15 times
    I trickle charged a seemingly dead battery as Janner43 suggested in his Sticky post and it worked! Charging with the original 15v charger did not work, but leaving the tablet on a phone charger for 8 hours brought the charge to 26%. And now charging on the 15 V to bring to full charge. This forum saved my bacon a couple of times now... thanks!
    janner43 likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    I don't know about the T100 and other Windows transformers. The Android TF101, TF201, TF700T, and the TF300 all use the same cable. But only the TF201/TF700T docks are interchangeable. The TF701 uses a slightly different cable.

These cables (ASUS originals as well as copies) are prone to failure. I buy a bunch of them at the time and always bring a couple of spares when I travel somewhere. When it stops charging I replace the cable, problem solved. It actually helped when I bought extra long cables.. slightly less risk of accidentally pulling the cable the wrong way when moving the tablet. But they will eventually fail too.
    Wow... you must REALLY use your gear... I have an original TF101... its like... ancient. It's been with me on several business trips even abroad... many charging cycles. I use the Charger to charge the phones around the house. Never had to replace either the cable or the charger.

Page 63 of 64 FirstFirst ... 13 53 61 62 63 64 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links