Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: [HOW TO] Get Adobe Flash Player & the best browser experience on your tablet

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    OK specifically those that have the new and improved faster TF700, what have you been doing to counter the slow standard browser? I have gone to Chrome. Any one else care to comment?

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2821 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlarson_mn View Post
    OK specifically those that have the new and improved faster TF700, what have you been doing to counter the slow standard browser? I have gone to Chrome. Any one else care to comment?
    I doubt there is much difference across the models The stock browser is essentially an old chrome & has often been laggy. That's just one reason why we get so many browser threads which we have replaced with this one. It was only a few firmwares ago that the tf101 stock browser became useable.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank you very much for the great tips! I Sure it was that i was using incompatible browser versions.
    janner43 likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    4 times
    "Additionally, Adobe indicated that on August 15th, it will configure Flash Player currently in the Play Store to only update devices that already have Flash installed. If the device does not have it installed, then it will not be authorized to download it from the Google Play Store. Additionally, Adobe shared that any device that is upgraded from Android 4.0 to 4.1 will still have Flash Player, they recommend uninstalling it because it will be buggy. It's possible this is mostly a scare tactic, and it may still be mostly functional."

Well, I'm glad I got my Tablet (and flash) before the 15th. As for the part about them saying to uninstall it, I agree that it's just a scare tactic. We've been using it on PC's for years and no problem.. well, other then when flash (or shockwave.. oh, that's another discussion!) crashes.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2821 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori View Post
    "Additionally, Adobe indicated that on August 15th, it will configure Flash Player currently in the Play Store to only update devices that already have Flash installed. If the device does not have it installed, then it will not be authorized to download it from the Google Play Store. Additionally, Adobe shared that any device that is upgraded from Android 4.0 to 4.1 will still have Flash Player, they recommend uninstalling it because it will be buggy. It's possible this is mostly a scare tactic, and it may still be mostly functional."

Well, I'm glad I got my Tablet (and flash) before the 15th. As for the part about them saying to uninstall it, I agree that it's just a scare tactic. We've been using it on PC's for years and no problem.. well, other then when flash (or shockwave.. oh, that's another discussion!) crashes.
    The problem will only become a progressive issue for Android as time goes on JB will cause flash to be more unreliable because the 2 are not officially compatible. Six months down the line with Key Lime Pie & things will get a lot worse.

This will be a problem with eventual volcanic results - because of the poor coding of many mainstream android apps, IMO. Take the Facebook app for example, I don't use Facebook personally, but all I ever read here is that the app doesn't work properly & folks use the flash rich website. How long has this android app been available now? In 6 months time, how will things look then...

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    895 times
    I am tired of Chrome not retaining Desktop setting on my TF101, so I want to change my default browser when I tap a link in Enhanced Email. (I should know this, and I'm sure I did in a previous incarnation, but) how do you change the default browser? I want to change to ICS+.
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (from an S4); Galaxy Note 8

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2821 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptedstylus View Post
    I am tired of Chrome not retaining Desktop setting on my TF101, so I want to change my default browser when I tap a link in Enhanced Email. (I should know this, and I'm sure I did in a previous incarnation, but) how do you change the default browser? I want to change to ICS+.
    No problem
    Assuming you have Chrome as your default browser, then...
    Settings, apps, chrome, clear defaults
    Then when you are next offered a choice as to which browser to use as defsult, select ICS+
    Last edited by sculptedstylus; 08-05-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    895 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    No problem
    Assuming you have Chrome as your default browser, then...
    Settings, apps, chrome, clear defaults
    Then when you are next offered a choice as to which browser to use as defsult, select ICS+
    Muchas Gracias...sorry, English only. Thanks a bunch...and I'm not talking bananas!
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (from an S4); Galaxy Note 8

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi all,

My experience on improving browsing with the TF700T. Thanks to everyone who has posted their opinions on different browsers for the transformer. I have tried all of them and found that Dolphin browser HD and Boat Browser were the fastest for the TF700; however even these browsers showed to be somewhat choppy and laggy when loading a pages that contains large number of images and flash videos and/ or adds. I was a little bit disappointed with this considering the core CPU speed of the TF700. I found that even my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone was slightly smoother than the TF700.

So upon investigating I've managed to improve the browsing with the TF700 using the Dolphin Browser HD and the Boat Browser as indicated above. This is how you can do it:

1) First you must root your device using Debugfs method by sparkym3. See here:
    [ROOT][TOOL]Debugfs automated root [08/08/2012] - xda-developers

Make sure that you install the USB drivers on your desktop PC, and subsequently perform this function using your desktop PC and the USB cable.

2) You should also unlock your device using this method:
    [Device is unlocked][Video Added] Bootloader Unlock Tool Released [25.7.2012] - xda-developers

3) Once above is done, disconnect USB cable. Install Busybox and Superuser - technically these apps should be automatically prompted for installation upon doing parts 1 and 2. If not, install them manually from google play store.

4) Manually Install the following apps from "Google Play Store":
    -System Tuner by 3c
    -Rebooter by SmartUX

You will note that "Rebooter" is such a great app, it allows you to reboot your device quickly and promptly without having to press any physical
    (top or side) buttons and also allows you to kill background apps and clear your memory in a flash at any time and much more.

5) Once these apps are installed, reboot your device. Run the System Tuner app. In system tuner, you can perform many tweaks, most importantly you can adjust how much memory (cache) is allocated for Browsing applications such as the Dolphin Browser HD, as well as modify your Startup, user and system apps and even Freeze some apps that you do not want. You can also tweak your CPU performance levels and adjust boot settings so that all CPU cores are activated at startup (meaning that none of them are in "sleep" mode). CPU level settings are conditions you can experiment yourself, however note that any extreme setup (such as set all CPU minimum levels too high) can chew your battery life faster. However minor adjustments will not make any difference to battery, and performance will be improved greatly.

- First, under System tuner, click on Startups. Deselect the majority of Start-up applications (I have almost all of them deselected except about 6). Deselecting startup apps does not necessarily mean they are disabled, it only means that these apps will NOT startup until such time when they are needed. Freezing them, on the other hand, means that they will be permanently disabled. So make sure you know a little bit about each application before you decide to permanently freeze them. This operation will free some internal memory.

- Second, under System tuner, click on Tweaks. You will see allocated memory bars for various application groups (this is located under "Auto-kill" tab). When Dolphin Browser HD is executed it falls under "Content Providers" application group (note sometimes it might not be visible). Increase the memory bar of this application group to approximately 150 - 200mb (to do that you must also increase the bar for Empty Applications group). This will allow more memory to be used for caching or else when browsing or running those applications.

- From the Tweaks page, click on "Boot Settings". Here you assign the final execution process for when system is booted. Click on "Active Tweaks". Under this option, make sure that "Re-apply memory limits" are set to be execute upon boot process. You may also enable "Re-apply CPU settings", or "Force all CPUs online" if it is that you made any changes to the CPU levels or CPU selected functions. Note as mentioned above, I have not yet experimented with "Force all CPUs online" option (but i will) so I have no idea how this effects battery and/or tablet performance yet - so this is something you can do on your own is you choose to.

6) Additional changes: Under stock "Asus customized settings" of your tablet, set System Performance to "Performance mode". this can also be done under systems tuner app, however not knowing what the "Asus customized settings" actually does, it is a bit hard to tell what is going on there. Either way experiment with these yourself.

7) Additional changes: Under Dolphin Browser HD, set Flash loading items "on-demand".

After making these minor changes, I've noticed that Dolphin Browser HD was running more smoothly - in that images and flash icons were no longer re-loading themselves and subsequently the scrolling was a lot smoother.

Moderators' Advisory Note

I'd like to thank Maksutov for taking the time to post his guide above.

But please note that you will void your warranty permanently by following his guide, so it is not for everyone.

Janner43
    Last edited by janner43; 08-11-2012 at 04:21 AM.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2821 times
    I'd like to thank Maksutov for taking the time to post his guide above.

But please note that you will void your warranty permanently by following his guide, so it is not for everyone.
    sculptedstylus likes this.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links