Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1546 times

Using your tablet with no WiFi Internet available

Because I have seen quite a few posts about using 3G dongles and accessing the Internet when no WiFi is available I thought I'd put something together in one place, that may help. I am excluding tethering to phones here because that is pretty much another whole thread.

First, the issues with a 3G dongle. (modem)

Android, as yet, has very little support for plugging a 3G dongle into a USB port, (assuming you have a USB port) due to a lack of drivers. Those drivers are frequently specific to the carrier the dongle was obtained from. But there are a few that do work with many Android tablets. Here is a list of a few that work and how to enable them.

How to setup your 3G modem

How to setup your 3G modem

Note, for that to work it specifically addresses Android v 4.0

If you don't have access to those specific 3G modems or you don't have a USB port you can use a portable router that supports a wide range of 3G modems. Here is a list of broadband (mostly 3G) modems supported by Zoom Telephonics' portable router(s).

Zoom Telephonics - Mobile Broadband Modem and Smartphone Compatibility Information

No 3G modem?

So, let's say you don't want to invest in a 3G modem due to the contract cost. There are several portable routers that will allow your WiFi enabled tablet to connect to a wired network. One of those is a TP-LINK TL-WR702N N Nano Router. Another is an ASUS WL-330N3G Mobile Wireless Router. Both of these can also act as a WiFi extender or a WiFi bridge, but can be configured as a WiFi to wired network device, (using a computer for the initial configuration). The ASUS device also has limited support for some 3G modems. This is a short list as there are many portable routers that will do the same. The TP-LINK is particularly inexpensive.

ASUS also makes a USB to Ethernet adapter that works with Android 4.x. http://www.asus.com/Peripherals_Acce...able/#overview

Another option is what is commonly called a MiFi device. This is a cellular modem, (about the size of a deck of cards or smaller), typically purchased from a cell phone provider that communicates with your tablet via WiFi. (no ports required). The drawback is that it also typically carries a fairly steep monthly contact cost. However there are some benefits. You can typically connect as many as 5 devices at a time. Since you could use it for your tablet, (1 or more) and a laptop and even your phone, and it works even when you have lost your Internet connection due to mechanical failure in the provider's system, it makes a great emergency backup. This would also work on any WiFi equipped desktop assuming you have a good cellular signal.

Because the MiFi devices is so flexible it's like having a cellular connection with only one contract for multiple devices. I won a Verizon model MiFi and it enabled me to use minimum required data plans for my smart phones, so it is saving me some moey there that offsets the cost of the MiFi plan.

Anyone with other suggestions is welcome to chime in.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2256 times
    Great post leeshor

Another one for The Master Help Guide...
    DrMightySnake likes this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    168 times
    Added ; great work Leeshor

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I have been using Virgin Mobile mifi 2200, and was satisfied with it. (3g only) I just purchased their overdrive pro 4g/3g hotspot and I love it! I am currently subscribed to 2gig (3g) for 35 bucks a month,but I also get 10gig of 4g! What I really like about it, is that if I go over, they just lower the speed for the rest of the month (unless I restart my month) rather than charging by the bit...like the big dogs do!
    do autotrophes have drool cups??

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mngasman View Post
    I have been using Virgin Mobile mifi 2200, and was satisfied with it. (3g only) I just purchased their overdrive pro 4g/3g hotspot and I love it! I am currently subscribed to 2gig (3g) for 35 bucks a month,but I also get 10gig of 4g! What I really like about it, is that if I go over, they just lower the speed for the rest of the month (unless I restart my month) rather than charging by the bit...like the big dogs do!
    That's a nice plan-- who's the carrier?
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_of_QF View Post
    That's a nice plan-- who's the carrier?
    looks like Sprint:
    MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot | Virgin Mobile

4G on the Fly

Virgin Mobile Broadband2Go customers also have access to the nationwide Sprint 3G network reaching more than 276 million people. 3G coverage not available everywhere. Sprint 4G (WiMAX) network reaches over 70 markets on select devices. 4G coverage may default to 3G/1xRTT where 4G is unavailable
    Bob_of_QF likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    7 times
    I have a MiFi from a company called "TruConnect". It's the exact same device as the popular Virgin Mobile MiFi, just has a different logo on it. It even uses the same Sprint network that Virgin's MiFi uses, too.

If not being used, it's only $5 a month to keep it activated. Usage is $.04 per MB. When your balance gets below $2, they automatically top up. The top up is $10, not $5, though. For almost a nickle a MB, you don't want to go and download files or stream netflix with the thing, but I find it reasonable for basic browsing and google maps and whatnot.

I mostly use WiFi since I mostly use my TF at home, but when I occasionally take it out and about, it's nice to have the MiFi which is always ready to go. I don't mind paying the $5 a month for that. If you know you're not going to need it for a while, you can go login to their website and temporarily deactivate your account to avoid the $5 month fee.

Only thing I don't like about it is the battery life of the MiFi device is only around four hours. Luckily my Jeep has a 115V power outlet in it.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    870 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    Because I have seen quite a few posts about using 3G dongles and accessing the Internet when no WiFi is available I thought I'd put something together in one place, that may help. I am excluding tethering to phones here because that is pretty much another whole thread.

ASUS also makes a USB to Ethernet adapter that works with Android 4.x. ASUS - Peripherals & Accessories- ASUS USB Ethernet Cable
    Lee...having searched for some time...finding one of those to buy is a challenge....
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA WIN 8.1 & ASUS TF101 ANDROID TABLETS

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Has anyone here who uses a Windows 7 (64 bit) PC, successfully created a wifi hotspot as demonstrated here: Turn Your Windows 7 PC Into a Wireless Hotspot ?

I am forced to get the internet on my Windows 7 (64 bit) PC desktop via ethernet, and also own this Netgear USB wireless dongle: Netgear WG111 Wireless 54Mbps USB 2.0 Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I'd like to create this Windows 7 wifi hotspot to give my smartphone and TF300T wifi net access, but it doesn't seem to work. I suspect the Netgear dongle can only receive. I've spoken to several "techies" at stores when I've asked if something more like this product (TP-Link TL-WN781ND 150Mbps Wireless PCI Express Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories) would work, but none of them can give me a firm yes or no.

I'm moving (hopefully) at the end of the year and will be able to set up my router / modem again giving my entire house wireless access, but until then I am looking for another solution such as the above. Any suggestions?

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2667 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dgriffiths View Post
    Has anyone here who uses a Windows 7 (64 bit) PC, successfully created a wifi hotspot as demonstrated here: Turn Your Windows 7 PC Into a Wireless Hotspot ?

I am forced to get the internet on my Windows 7 (64 bit) PC desktop via ethernet, and also own this Netgear USB wireless dongle: Netgear WG111 Wireless 54Mbps USB 2.0 Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I'd like to create this Windows 7 wifi hotspot to give my smartphone and TF300T wifi net access, but it doesn't seem to work. I suspect the Netgear dongle can only receive. I've spoken to several "techies" at stores when I've asked if something more like this product (TP-Link TL-WN781ND 150Mbps Wireless PCI Express Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories) would work, but none of them can give me a firm yes or no.

I'm moving (hopefully) at the end of the year and will be able to set up my router / modem again giving my entire house wireless access, but until then I am looking for another solution such as the above. Any suggestions?
    It should work. IMO it is easier to use the program Connectify on your PC. Windows creates an ad hoc access point. Connectify makes an infrastructure access point. Many Android devices cannot see ad hoc access points.

Google Connectify to find the software.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads