Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Using your tablet with no WiFi Internet available

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    AWESOME! Ta! I'll give this a whirl and twirl tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    It should work. IMO it is easier to use the program Connectify on your PC. Windows creates an ad hoc access point. Connectify makes an infrastructure access point. Many Android devices cannot see ad hoc access points.

Google Connectify to find the software.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    10 times
    can not found this mobile setting on my tf
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    **DEVICE**
    Phone model: Transformer TF101
    Android version: 4.0.3 (ICS) - testing .24
    Build number: HTK75.WW_epad-8.6.5.19
    Total memory: 29852422144

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I love my mifi! i use skype for my phone.. and use an old prepaid phone just in case i need to make an emergency call... 5gigs of data a month for 50 bucks! so worth it... if you aren't streaming movies and music

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    I have Tf300 model without 3g capability. What I do when there is no WiFi signal is available is I connect to my mobile phone which has Internet option (it is not a smart phone) via blue tooth and I gain access to internet no problem. Of course, network charges apply.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    160 times
    3G dongle:
    =======
    I remember back when the TF201 arrived Asus recommended their own Asus WL-330NG adapter for 3G (now apparently renamed to 330N3G, but I believe they are the same. NB: Despite the name they _don't_ have built-in 3G support. But read on). Well, that one is actually a tiny little Ethernet & wi-fi router/access point.. but it can also handle a 3G USB dongle, for example the Huawei 3G dongles. I haven't tried my WL-330NG with my Huawei dongle, but a colleague did with his. It works fine. So then it's just to connect to the WL-330NG with wi-fi and you're all set. (In short: Plug the 3G USB dongle into the USB A socket on the WL-330NG, then power the WL-330NG either with its own power supply or from the Transformer KEYBOARD/DOCK's USB port - the WL-330NG has a separate microUSB port for that purpose. (NB: I haven't actually tried powering it from my TF201 or TF700T, only from my notebook. But as the keyboard/dock can manage some USB disks it should work I think. It depends a bit on the 3G dongle - some early ones were very power hungry). Or from whatever other USB power source you may have available (including in-car USB power adapters).

That WL-330NG is a very versatile (and cheap) gadget in its own right - check the link above.

Wired Ethernet:
    ==========
    And, as the thread isn't just about 3G but simply 'with no WiFi Internet available', the Asus dongle also provides wi-fi when there's only wired Ethernet available (provided that Ethernet will actually work for you, it's easiest if it will give DHCP access to any device connected). I use this method sometimes during my travels. NB: There's one quirk with the WL-330NG/N3G.. it has some problems with DHCP renewal, so occasionally it happens (after 10 minutes or 3 hours or whatever) that despite a signal the wi-fi becomes unresponsive. I just unplug and re-plug power to the 330NG if this happens and it's good again.

3G Android phone:
    ============
    Another method I use successfully (and the only one I had at home when I got my TF201 last year) is using my Android 3G phone as an access point. My phone has Cyanogenmod 7.1 installed and there I just select wi-fi sharing and it's all set (I think that is part of standard Android now, but I don't have a standard Android phone anymore, just my Cyanogenmod one).
    I thought that this would be a huge battery drain on my phone but it works surprisingly well. I still use this method in a pinch.

-Tor

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    I use Easy Tether Pro which connects my tablet to my phone via Bluetooth and it is the very first app I paid for. The paid version allows HTTPS but you can try the free one of course. Tether app on phone, tablet app on tablet. Used it originally with my net-book but seems to stay updated with the times and been using it for maybe 3 years now successfully?
    Hope that helps and I'm grandfathered with AT&T with unlimited data so that's a relief.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times
    Does anyone know of a way to make the OS think it's connected to WiFi, when it's on Ethernet? Some of the best remote control apps REQUIRE a "WiFi" connection (they should just require a NETWORK connection, but instead require WiFi!!!), and my tablet is using the Ethernet port on my connect dock.

In the future, I'm also planning on getting a HDMI Stick, and I'd never do video over WiFi!!!!
    --
    TF201 - Connect Dock
    Motorola Droid Bionic

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

Arrow Turning the Transformer into a 3G tablet

Is there any Dongle or netstick that make possible to get 3G on my Asus?

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2278 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger72 View Post
    Welcome to the forum

The best place for your post is in this thread which contains pretty much everything we know on your question, hence the move of your post to make it easy for you to find the information you need. I hope the thread has enough options for you to find a solution for what you want to do.

All the best

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1622 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger72 View Post
    Welcome aboard.
    I have a link in my signature that addresses WiFi and how to use the few 3G dongles that do work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ads