Thread: [GUIDE] FAQ on viruses, malware & browser security

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    45 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Thanks for that Leaston. IMO there is no need to spend money on a paid solution for android at this time.
    Having now read the report, it looks to me as if Avast! and Lookout came out as the best free solutions at this time.
    I agree with you, free doesn't mean inferior. I'm running the Avast solution on the Tf101 and it's extremely good. I chose that mainly because I run Avast Antivirus on my desktop PC and have been happy with it so far. Lookout is great too and I have this installed on my mobile as it seems more suited to the phones.
    Asus Eee Transformer TF101 with dock (both B70) and Android ICS v4.0.3
    Rooted using ViperMOD PrimeTime 4.5 Root (again)

Rooting, the easy way - HERE
    How to perform a factory reset - HERE
    Anti-virus and Malware help & advice - HERE

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    52 times
    Thanks to the OP and all contributors to this thread.... I have found it extremely informative.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2798 times
    Quote Originally Posted by caribsue View Post
    Thanks to the OP and all contributors to this thread.... I have found it extremely informative.
    I appreciate that. Thank you.

Can I ask, in future please that all "thanks" are given as requested in post 2 of the thread
    Some readers may want to say thanks for a particular post - can I ask that we keep the thread as tidy as possible by saying "thank you" by simply tapping the LIKE icon at the end of the post you like. It will make it much easier to read the thread that way. Thank you.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    SL101
    Liked
    1 times
    I think this question fits in this topic, and I think it's something that other noobs like me want to know. When I just installed Avast thanks to this thread (after reading that it found more viruses than what I was using, AVG), I started checking the various features Avast offers. This includes privacy information threats/possible threats from various apps. I have seen this referenced a lot on Amazon reviews of apps as well. I have searched and searched but cannot find any information about the various "permissions" that apps use and why they are okay or not. Which permissions are okay? Which should raise red flags? How can I know whether or not a given permission is okay for an app before I download it? Is there somewhere I can go to read and learn about all this? I can't be the only noob needing to learn about this, and I promise, I DID search before asking here.
    TheOneTopCat likes this.
    Lisa

I'm not stupid when it comes to my Android tablet, I'm just ignorant. Luckily, ignorance is fixable.

Slider SL101
    ICS
    Rooted

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2798 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Scraps View Post
    I think this question fits in this topic, and I think it's something that other noobs like me want to know. When I just installed Avast thanks to this thread (after reading that it found more viruses than what I was using, AVG), I started checking the various features Avast offers. This includes privacy information threats/possible threats from various apps. I have seen this referenced a lot on Amazon reviews of apps as well. I have searched and searched but cannot find any information about the various "permissions" that apps use and why they are okay or not. Which permissions are okay? Which should raise red flags? How can I know whether or not a given permission is okay for an app before I download it? Is there somewhere I can go to read and learn about all this? I can't be the only noob needing to learn about this, and I promise, I DID search before asking here.
    Hi Lisa (scraps)

This information is available from a link in the OP (the FAQ)

4. The best defence against malware is user knowledge & understanding. I recommend you read Android permissions explained, security tips, and avoiding malware - Android Forums
    Scraps likes this.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    SL101
    Liked
    1 times
    Okay I am highly embarrassed that I missed that, because I swear I spent hours reading everything yesterday. lol Thanks for clarifying and reposting that, it did have most of what I was looking for. Can anyone tell me, how do the phone permissions apply to a tablet? I assume that if the only cautionary permission is something with the phone, I don't have to worry about it since it's not a phone, right? Similarly, are there any app permissions that are MORE dangerous for a tablet than a phone?? TIA.

Lisa
    Lisa

I'm not stupid when it comes to my Android tablet, I'm just ignorant. Luckily, ignorance is fixable.

Slider SL101
    ICS
    Rooted

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Scraps View Post
    Okay I am highly embarrassed that I missed that, because I swear I spent hours reading everything yesterday. lol Thanks for clarifying and reposting that, it did have most of what I was looking for. Can anyone tell me, how do the phone permissions apply to a tablet? I assume that if the only cautionary permission is something with the phone, I don't have to worry about it since it's not a phone, right? Similarly, are there any app permissions that are MORE dangerous for a tablet than a phone?? TIA.

Lisa
    Off my head, I can't think of any permission that would be more dangerous on tablet than phone. However, other than SMS related ones, permissions have the same impact on tablet as on phone.

read the permissions list for printershare mobile and be afraid, be very afraid. I recently went through the permissions list of every apps on my tab and printershare was one of the apps that got the boot. Hope it wasn't too late.
    Last edited by janner43; 04-25-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2798 times
    Hey, don't blush too much - we've all been there

Actually when it comes to permissions it is more likely to be the case that a phone is more at risk than a tablet. Some permissions allow phone calls or texts to be sent, for example. It would be hard to do that on a tablet. As far as other permissions go, then use "common sense". Why would a camera app need access to your contacts? To be able to send a photo via email directly from the app. But why would an e-reader need them?

Why would a game need access to your camera? You get the idea. Very often you can tell if an app needs the permission because of its features, but if you are unhappy, just look for a different app. There are times when I don't accept an app update, because they have changed the permissions & I am unhappy about that change. If it is an important app to me, then I will contact the developer.

Just apply due diligence, without becoming paranoid
    Last edited by janner43; 04-25-2012 at 09:57 AM.
    Ankits and mttbender like this.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2798 times
    One thing for you to also consider Lisa, is the impact that rooting has on the security of your device. In rooting it, you have exploited a vulnerability in the firmware that is also now available to be used by malware.

The other thing to consider - if you are as concerned about this as you clearly are - is the wisdom of using a custom rom. You might find this thread interesting. (I started it prior to becoming a moderator here)
    http://www.transformerforums.com/for...stom-roms.html

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2798 times
    Significant malware event

While not significant in the number of people affected, or in its difficulty to prevent ( To give yourself 100% protection against this type of malware, ensure that in "settings, security" the check box next to "unknown sources" is NOT ticked. ), the emergence of "drive by" malware for android is a sad day. It is significant in its newness & that this has not been an area of concern for the android OS until now.

You can read more here...
    The Official Lookout Blog | UPDATE: Security Alert: Hacked Websites Serve Suspicious Android Apps (NotCompatible)

The Official Lookout Blog | Update: Oh no, my phone bought tickets to the One Direction concert

Android Malware Used to Mask Online Fraud, Says Expert | PCWorld Business Center

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links