Thread: interesting article about batteries

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

interesting article about batteries

interesting piece on EAT about battery life:

LINK REMOVED as no longer functioning

Seems to imply we should charge to 100% once we reach about 50% discharged, tho' slightly complicated by the two batteries but the wizard Dual Battery Widget will help
    Last edited by janner43; 01-29-2016 at 05:50 AM. Reason: LINK REMOVED as no longer functioning

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    That is really interesting! Thanks for sharing that!
    Now I know when its best to recharge...

Helping Hero & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    249 times
    Ya, but if the dock is 50% the TAB is at 100% which defeats the 50% thing. So I guess since the TF is more expensive ignor the dock level and only concern yourself with the TAB battery level to get the best life.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    That article originally released in May has been referenced here a few times.

There are other articles/studies out there that dispute those recommendations specific to Lithium Ion and Lithium Polymer batteries (what is inside the Keyboard Dock and Transformer). tablet). I've read a few that indicate there is no harm or battery life loss by keeping these charges whenever possible.

I'm not sure who is correct on this...but I do know that I try to keep my batteries charged whenever possible on 9 different Lithium-Ion or Lithium Polymer products I own, and none show any signs of deteriorating battery life...even after years of use.
    janner43, lopezco and Teg32 like this.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Yeah, I would have to agree. I try to keep everything as charged as possible. It's been my experience that the more discharges a battery has the less the battery lasts.
    janner43 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycemiskel View Post
    Yeah, I would have to agree. I try to keep everything as charged as possible. It's been my experience that the more discharges a battery has the less the battery lasts.
    Letting the TF fully discharge is not advisable?

Jazz
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KZsigBZ View Post
    Letting the TF fully discharge is not advisable?
    Deep cycling any lithium chemistry battery is not advisable. Charging currents and heat buildup associated with charging a deeply discharged cell are detrimental to its life. Neither is keeping it fully charged all the time. The cells have their highest internal resistance and are harder to squeeze more current through the nearer they are to full capacity. Having a charge current go through it all the time will also be not so good for your battery. Discharging it to about half and recharging on a regular basis is just about perfect.
    Swipe likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the helpful info!

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Quote Originally Posted by funbob View Post
    Deep cycling any lithium chemistry battery is not advisable. Charging currents and heat buildup associated with charging a deeply discharged cell are detrimental to its life. Neither is keeping it fully charged all the time. The cells have their highest internal resistance and are harder to squeeze more current through the nearer they are to full capacity. Having a charge current go through it all the time will also be not so good for your battery. Discharging it to about half and recharging on a regular basis is just about perfect.
    That is very helpful. There is some interesting stuff in this thread. Actually, I wonder if the 50% recharge "rule" applies to any modern leisure type battery. When we first retired, my wife & I did a big tour around the UK & Europe, living full time in a motorhome ( USA =RV; Francais = Camping Car; Deutsch = Reisemobile )

The accepted rule of thumb for the leisure battery/ies was that they should not be regularly deep cycled as that caused shortening of lifespan. The best option was never to let then go below 40% full and to recharge at 50% if possible. Of course, this rule would not apply to nicads due to their memory effect flaw.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    But if you only charge it to 50% and recharge it at 40%, you're only using 1/10th of the battery. Isn't the whole point of this to increase the life of the battery, so you can use the tablet for longer?

O_o
    Rachel likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links