Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Banana View Post
    But if you only charge it to 50% and recharge it at 40%, you're only using 1/10th of the battery. Isn't the whole point of this to increase the life of the battery, so you can use the tablet for longer?
    No, what you do is try to recharge whenever it gets down to 50% or thereabouts & at that point recharge it to fully charged

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KZsigBZ View Post
    Letting the TF fully discharge is not advisable?
    Not really.

It's alot of work, heat, and cycle drain to do a full charge starting at a very low level.

Smetimes it can't be avoided, but it should not be a "habit practice".

The "50% rule" is more of a "guideline", but something many can use as a rule of thumb approach.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I can understand battery management on a laptop for example, if you mostly use it plugged into an outlet. But since portable devices always run on battery power, it seems to me a bit of a waste of time only using half the battery to prolong the life....I'll probably upgrade my TF before it becomes an issue anyways.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    banana, i think you misunderstood, my reading is that janner is saying recharge at 50% if possible, and definitely not let it get below 40%.

I've been monitoring and the TF is complicated by the dual batteries, I mostly use mine in the dock so the doc gets depleted all the time, i've tried recharging the dock separately (undock) but since I don't use the tablet separately all that much presumably the tablet is always getting charged if the dock is always full. so I guess helpifican is probably right, the dock is cheaper so let it do whatever and recharge the tab around 50%.

which of course means the dual batt widget isn't actually necessary, since the default battery icon gives you info on the tab battery! still nice to have tho.

anyway at least I've stopped fully discharging, which is what I previously thought was best (I learned that from nicad bicycle batteries, but apparently it doesnt apply to lithium)

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    41 times
    [QUOTE=helpifIcan;74328]Ya, but if the dock is 50% & the TAB is at 100% this would defeat the 50% thing. ************************************************** ***********
    Given this situation why not detach the tablet from dock and charge the dock seperately to 100%. I usually use the tablet detached & more frequently so the tablet requires more frequent charging anyway. Then at tab charge=40 to 50% I recharge the tablet unconnected to the dock. Obviously there are occasions when I break the 40-50% suggestion but I don't loose any sleep over this :-)
    Asus TF101 16GB B60 with keyboard docking
    Samsung Galaxy Note WiFi 10.1
    Desktop PC, Windows 7
    Yamaha Tyros 4 K/B 9 (Music)

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    362 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Banana View Post
    But if you only charge it to 50% and recharge it at 40%, you're only using 1/10th of the battery. Isn't the whole point of this to increase the life of the battery, so you can use the tablet for longer?

O_o
    I`m with you on this, what is the point in increasing the length of time your battery holds a full charge, if the fix is to only ever let it get to 50% discharged.

By using this fix, you might as well have a battery that has already lost 50% of its charge holding ability and let it completely discharge each cycle !

"To gain an extra year of battery charge cycles up to 70%, you must act as if your battery has only 50% capacity from new" lol

I get what they are implying and I also keep my TF topped up when I can, not for battery lifetime, just so it doesn't run out when I need it - but I also give it a full discharge cycle every week or two
    TF No longer charges: Clicky
    Transformer won't boot: Clicky
    Power / Lock button issues: Clicky
    Flash downloaded ASUS Firmware: Clicky

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    I get what some are saying here about only using part of the battery capacity prior to recharging & how they think it is unnecessary or maybe even daft! It is understandable given that most of us paid a lot of attention to how long the battery life was going to be, prior to purchase.

However, as they said in one of the Aliens film series - "rumour control - here are the facts"

1. Deep cycling of rechargeable batteries other than nicads will shorten their life
    2. The best way to maintain your lithium battery & prolong its life expectancy & full functionality in terms of length of time it will hold a charge, is to recharge it at or around 50% & do not let it get below 40%
    3. Allowing your battery level to drop to the android low battery warning level of 14% will not harm your battery as such, but will mean that you are hastening the day when the battery will loose some of its efficacy in terms of length of time it can hold its charge. IE g r a d u a l l y & almost imperceptibly, it will hold a charge for shorter & shorter periods.

HOWEVER, given that most of us on here are gadget fans, the chances of us owning our original tf for much longer than 2-3 years should mean that none of us original owners should notice much of an issue.

In my case, as I use my tf maybe 4 hours a day, every day, I want to maintain the life of my battery as much as possible, so having been reminded of the issue by this thread, I now try to recharge at 40-50% whenever possible.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    362 times
    Its pointless having a battery that can last 8 hours if they recommend you charge it when it reaches 50% - so in actual fact you only have a battery that lasts 4 hours if you want it to last

500 x 8 hour charges from 100 > 0%

1500 x 4 hour charge from 100 > 50%

I`d rather have 500 @ 8 hours, the battery will not stop working after 500 charges, it will just start holding its charge for a lesser time, so after your 500 x 8 hours, you begin to get 7 hours then 6 hours, then 5 hours

All those seem better to me than 4 hours right ?
    TF No longer charges: Clicky
    Transformer won't boot: Clicky
    Power / Lock button issues: Clicky
    Flash downloaded ASUS Firmware: Clicky

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Detection View Post
    Its pointless having a battery that can last 8 hours if they recommend you charge it when it reaches 50% - so in actual fact you only have a battery that lasts 4 hours if you want it to last

500 x 8 hour charges from 100 > 0%

1500 x 4 hour charge from 100 > 50%

I`d rather have 500 @ 8 hours, the battery will not stop working after 500 charges, it will just start holding its charge for a lesser time, so after your 500 x 8 hours, you begin to get 7 hours then 6 hours, then 5 hours

All those seem better to me than 4 hours right ?
    Yes, I see what you mean, but I don't obsess over it.

I just pop the thing on charge when it is convenient. If it is at 40-60% & I am putting it down for an hour, then I plug it in for a charge. At that level, it fully charges in an hour. However, if i am using it, then I don't worry. As I said, it will probably be "upgraded" after 12 - 18 months so it won't be an issue.
    Last edited by janner43; 04-03-2012 at 02:09 AM. Reason: addition

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    10 times
    I use my tablet with dock all the time.
    So tablet's battery is 100% full all the time and charging non-stop. This is BAD?! I will try to charge the dock when <50% but the tablet is charging all day long from dock. Some advice? Thank you.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    **DEVICE**
    Phone model: Transformer TF101
    Android version: 4.0.3 (ICS) - testing .24
    Build number: HTK75.WW_epad-8.6.5.19
    Total memory: 29852422144

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links