Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Taichi
    Liked
    1 times

Texting on an Asus pad

Am a total newb at this. I am searching for answers but thought to ask here too.

I have an Asus pad. Love it. Also have a Verizon phone. I text from the phone no problem. Is there a way to text from the Asus pad using the Verizon phone number?

tx

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    You'll need a dedicated app which may offer thus facility, but I doubt it - but I don't think this a feature natively or easily supported by Android. Iphones/ipads yes.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Texting? Yep.

You can use Hangouts app. There are probably more apps in the Play store supporting texting.

https://support.google.com/hangouts/.../3441321?hl=en
    Last edited by Swipe; 02-20-2015 at 03:39 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Asus Taichi
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes. Thank you for the answer to use Hangouts.

Do you know however, can I use the Verizon phone number as the from and return text address?

Reason for asking is, if texting from the phone, that is one phone number. Hangouts I understand would originate from a different number? Am trying to see how to use the same number? Make sense?

Thank you for your reply. I will learn more about Hangouts and mebbe can find the answer quickly...

Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
    Texting? Yep.

You can use Hangouts app. There are probably more apps in the Play store supporting texting.

https://support.google.com/hangouts/.../3441321?hl=en

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    I personally don't text - the support page for hangouts may have info on using your Verizon number...or someone reading this who knows might respond.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    I think the reasons we can't do this have something to do with phone regulations. Only one number can be associated with one device at one time and the device must have a Sim card installed for it. Hangouts I believe, integrates sms text and Internet chat in the same place but only the latter carries over to other devices.

If everyone on Android used Hangouts like apple users use imessage (which sends a chat message instead of sms for everything you send to another apple user) we wouldn't tell the different between what device us being used we'd just know who sent the message (confusing ain't it)

Google has a cool system called google voice in the US where you sign up for a virtual number that can be directed to any device for free calling and text. Then you can do some forwarding magic between the two numbers and I hear that everything works quite well.
    Last edited by Gtanner00; 02-20-2015 at 10:09 AM.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    I doubt its anything to do with SIM regulations. If you associate an iPad & iPhone with the same Apple ID you can both text and make calls from the iPad using the iPhone and the correct number for the iPhone SIM.

More likely to do with the Android OS. I know I looked into this quite some time ago on our Android devices and was unable to do it - and there isn't any version of Google Voice in the UK.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    i guess you are right. i a'ways thought that was only for imessage but since ios 8 you can use a relay feature to send text messages from the ipad. i assume that Google must be working on something similar for android.

you most definitely reply and send text messages from your computer using an app called pushbullet.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    501 times
    You would need to look at MightyText or Tablet Talk (both apps can be found on the playstore) .

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book 100TAF
    Liked
    0 times
    I use MySMS. I have it installed on my Android phone and my Windows 10 tablet. It allows me to send and receive texts from the tablet through the phone. It also pops up when I get a call as to who is calling so I don't have to look at the phone. It works really well.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links