Thread: Android sluggishness vs. iPad

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    14 times

Android sluggishness vs. iPad

I am recently starting to hate my tablet. I was with my brother a few weeks ago and he picked up his iPad mini to look something up. He just opened the cover, typed what he wanted and voila, the info popped right up! I was amazed. Not on my tablet!!! I would open it up, tap the browser I want (I know I can choose one to use always), wait for it to open, wait for the keyboard, type what I want, watch the little circle go around, and then my info will pop up soon. Meanwhile I can look around the room, stare at the tablet, blah blah blah. And last night, Boat browser would then have pop up that said it wasn't working and kicked me off...after I had finally found and opened the info I wanted! I then chose Google, but that also then kicked me off.

My brother had his WiFi connected all the time, so I tried keeping my WiFi on, rather than turn it off when I am done using the tablet. It has made it a bit better when I want to pick up the tablet and use it...it doesn't have to cycle thru everything it cycles thru each time I want to use it. But it still isn't immediate in response.

I don't have many added apps. I use my tablet mainly for looking a few things up when traveling, or at night in bed. Also solitaire and FB. I have a PC I use at home that I am much more comfortable with, and is so much easier to search for information. So the tablet is more of a cool toy. I bring it to work, but only check e mail and FB occasionally on it. Often I never even use it at work. I don't have many pictures on it. I have an SD card that has pictures on that. It stays in the tablet.

I have done a cold boot and it really hasn't helped. I have Clean Master, as recommended here. I don't have any animated screen savers or whatever. Widgets are only time and date and weather.

OK...that was the rant. My question...Are all android tablets inherent to go this sluggish route? My phone, an S4, is very fast, and android. Why can't a tablet be as fast as a phone? It has been easier to use my phone for some things, as I have gotten a bit more comfortable with it. But it is small...I really don't like doing searches on it for anything big. I have never really wanted to go the iPad route. But they are so fast. People don't seem to get annoyed at their iPad when looking stuff up!

Is there a newer tablet on the market that doesn't get sluggish? Is the IOS the only way to go for that?
    Dragonlady likes this.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Oh, you might have opened a "can of worms" , so let me start by reminding everyone that we like to keep things happy & polite here, so please let's not have any unpleasant rants on either side of this debate.

That said, I think you'll find - in the most general terms - that because Apple control the hardware, OS & their App Store with such a firm grip you'll find that iPad's generally "just work" & are often considered slicker?, faster?, more robust? - but of course, they are also less customisable, have no layout control or launcher options & some would consider them lacking in flexibility/connectivity.

Android devices, on the other hand tend to be fully customisable, have multiple layout & launcher options & are very flexible as far as user options are concerned. They are also offered by multiple manufacturers who each tend to bring their own "flavour" to Android. They also require a reasonable amount of user involvement to keep them optimal.

I suppose that Google's Nexus devices are the closest direct equivalent to Apple's iPad portfolio, so really you would need to compare say the Nexus 10 with the iPad 4 or Air and the Nexus 7 (first or second gen) with the iPad Mini (first or second gen).

In short, I guess it depends just what you think is the most important - flexibility or controlled quality - but Android tablets have come a long way to a point where they are now (at the top end of the market, certainly) a direct competitor to Apple's offering. Certainly if you value the "transformability" factor of the Asus TF range with the connect-ability, battery addition & hardware keyboard, then there isn't much to compare with the Asus range.

And, yes, I have an iPad as well as the Android devices you'll see listed in my signature (not all of them at once, mind you )

Customer choice & personal preference are, IMHO, they key things here, rather than a "Android is better than Apple" or vica-versa approach. And this debate has been going for many years now. Of course, nowadays, you could also consider Windows. Microsoft Surface 2? Asus Transformer T100? And there are others...

All the best

(As this thread is more of a General discussion than it is Prime related, I'm moving this thread to Android Tablets General)
    eejit and leeshor like this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    14 times
    OMG Janner, I do not want this to turn into any kind of rant either...but you are right. I knew where I was coming from when I wrote this, but for all to read my post on a forum, it can get ugly. Not at all interested in that.

I would love to stick with Android, as I just never wanted to "give in" to Apple, I guess. (uh oh-that can also lead to more rants...so don't)!

Janner...you really did sum up what I wanted to hear, I think, so thank you. Concise and to the point. So this customize-able "thing" that I always here about for Android. Are we just talking about pretty home pages, etc, and how you want it to look? (not too important to me). Yes, I guess we have different launchers to choose from, but if IOS launcher just WORKS, they don't need to look for other options.

I have read how Android tablets really are the top sellers. I haven't looked into the new ones, as I spent a lot for the T201, and feel "obligated" o stick with it...but that obligation is waning. I tried to search for info about new tablets, but it is overwhelming. I just don't want it to get sluggish, like this one. Thank you for mentioning the Nexus, as that was mentioned in most of my searches as a great tablet. I felt that asking about tablets here with all of you guys would help me a bit to figure out where to go from here.

Thank you!
    janner43 likes this.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sparks3229 View Post
    I am recently starting to hate my tablet. I was with my brother a few weeks ago and he picked up his iPad mini to look something up. He just opened the cover, typed what he wanted and voila, the info popped right up! I was amazed. Not on my tablet!!! I would open it up, tap the browser I want (I know I can choose one to use always), wait for it to open, wait for the keyboard, type what I want, watch the little circle go around, and then my info will pop up soon. Meanwhile I can look around the room, stare at the tablet, blah blah blah. And last night, Boat browser would then have pop up that said it wasn't working and kicked me off...after I had finally found and opened the info I wanted! I then chose Google, but that also then kicked me off.

My brother had his WiFi connected all the time, so I tried keeping my WiFi on, rather than turn it off when I am done using the tablet. It has made it a bit better when I want to pick up the tablet and use it...it doesn't have to cycle thru everything it cycles thru each time I want to use it. But it still isn't immediate in response.

I don't have many added apps. I use my tablet mainly for looking a few things up when traveling, or at night in bed. Also solitaire and FB. I have a PC I use at home that I am much more comfortable with, and is so much easier to search for information. So the tablet is more of a cool toy. I bring it to work, but only check e mail and FB occasionally on it. Often I never even use it at work. I don't have many pictures on it. I have an SD card that has pictures on that. It stays in the tablet.

I have done a cold boot and it really hasn't helped. I have Clean Master, as recommended here. I don't have any animated screen savers or whatever. Widgets are only time and date and weather.

OK...that was the rant. My question...Are all android tablets inherent to go this sluggish route? My phone, an S4, is very fast, and android. Why can't a tablet be as fast as a phone? It has been easier to use my phone for some things, as I have gotten a bit more comfortable with it. But it is small...I really don't like doing searches on it for anything big. I have never really wanted to go the iPad route. But they are so fast. People don't seem to get annoyed at their iPad when looking stuff up!

Is there a newer tablet on the market that doesn't get sluggish? Is the IOS the only way to go for that?
    We have both, iOS and android. We have now replaced our point of sale computers with i pads at our seasonal businesses. I purchased used ipad 2 units and they work well. I like my tf700 and have about 300 apps on it. Since running cm11 its OK, but still not near as fluid as even the oldest iPad. I will buy another android device soon as I want to be able to play around. But honestly I would never recommend or trust an android anything for business use. The simplicity and "just works" of the idevices just can't be beat. I have gone very few days without an android app hanging, crashing, or the whole device just rebooting. I have had iphones since the 3g came out and i can only remember a few crashes if that on any I device. The selection of waterproof cases and durable stands is another iOS plus. Real keyboards are a transformer plus. It all depends what you need. Face time on iOS is what I consider priceless. My kids and grandkids can video chat anytime no matter where in the world we are for free. My employees can show problems or items in real time with it too. I don't think that any android product (till the HTC one series) has the build quality feel of the iOS devices. I think a problem is that android device makers were always afraid to have truly high end high priced products and that is a problem. If the tf700 would have had better memory and cost 200.00 more it would have truly been a great device. I plunked down ~ a grand for a 128gb cellular iPad. There are no 1000.00 android tablets. Another iOS plus is that everything is backed up. I could throw my iPad in the lake, drive to the store and buy another one. In 15 minutes the new one would be restored to an exact duplicate of my lost unit. With android there is no one simple way to restore to a new device, especially if you get a device from another maker. A new iPad could be obtained within an hour in almost Town in the country. Try and find even an Asus charger or cable in stock in a major city, probably impossible.

Sent via electron magic. My opinion is my opinion and any solutions or ideas probably have a hundred ways to arrive at the same result. Unless you pay someone to provide the right answer, you get what you get. Free advice is often worth what you paid for it.
    sparks3229 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times

My Canadian Nickel : Or why I like my tablet

1. There was a study last year or so which concluded that ios apps crash more often than Android.

2. My tablet has random-rebooted once. Apps very rarely hang or crash (see above).

3. Tango is a cross-platform video-chat app that runs on ios and Android. Priceless and free. Janner43 likes it.

4. Having to spend $1,000 for a 128GB Ipad verses several hundred less for the same storage? Your choice.

5. No plans to throw my Android tablet in a lake. Although I once dropped a cell-phone in a sink. Restoring everything is a one-shot maybe hour tops. Of course I've never had to do a factory reset.

6. Compatible chargers have been discussed on the forum and are available. Another think-ahead solution, get one before you need it in case of failure. I've used Asus Transformers and their chargers every day for over 2 years. They "Just Work" - a situation almost everyone encounters.

7. No need to go into the many advantages of owning an Asus Transformer. They are self-evident.
    sparks3229 and leeshor like this.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    50 times
    If you want an IPad, get one.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
    1. There was a study last year or so which concluded that ios apps crash more often than Android.

2. My tablet has random-rebooted once. Apps very rarely hang or crash (see above).

3. Tango is a cross-platform video-chat app that runs on ios and Android. Priceless and free. Janner43 likes it.

4. Having to spend $1,000 for a 128GB Ipad verses several hundred less for the same storage? Your choice.

5. No plans to throw my Android tablet in a lake. Although I once dropped a cell-phone in a sink. Restoring everything is a one-shot maybe hour tops. Of course I've never had to do a factory reset.

6. Compatible chargers have been discussed on the forum and are available. Another think-ahead solution, get one before you need it in case of failure. I've used Asus Transformers and their chargers every day for over 2 years. They "Just Work" - a situation almost everyone encounters.

7. No need to go into the many advantages of owning an Asus Transformer. They are self-evident.
    I am not going to argue that your tablet works perfectly for you. But do you have an iOS device that you personally own? Just using one for a short time doesn't really count. I don't think I like ford cars but I have never owned one. I'm not even sure why I don't like them, but I someone said ford was no good. so 30 years ago I believed them. As for "studies" I would take anybody's study for either platform with a grain of salt. Heck I wouldn't believe a review or "study" on the internet of anything these days. If I was the subject of a study on the internet I would be skeptical of reading my own results. The problem with the internet and "studies" is there is really no way to validate the source motive or their bias, no matter how legitimate sounding the "study" group sounds.
    Chargers are not my main issue, the charger probably won't fail. But if you break or loose a power cord Friday evening where are you getting a new one. Why should I carry a spare, at what point does redundancy become silly, should i carry a spare tire, probably, should I carry two? A battery? Windshield? Or can I get a these parts almost anywhere.
    Tango, yes but FaceTime can be operated by a 2 year old who wants to see grandma. Simple, reliable and foolproof.
    I have no plans to throw my ipad in a lake, however the lifeproof case is waterproof. My point and my only point is. If I was on business or a trip and my ipad died or disappeared and I needed a replacement. I could go anywhere and get a new one and restore it. Settings, docs, passwords, files and apps with one click. If I have an asus device and it dies, and the store only has a samsung in stock there is NO WAY to restore that samsung device to look and be exactly like the asus unit with one click during setup. No way. Android just does not have that smooth of a backup and restore. There are ways to make it happen, but not unless you do prep and it's not idiot proof seamless like iOS is.
    For business as a POS, there are very limited cash register type stands for any android devices.
    Both OS's have definite plusses, I like having both, if they don't release a much larger iphone soon. I will buy an htc hm8 or an oppo android phone and be very happy. If they release a large iphone, i will buy one and also be happy.
    The build quality and fit and finish of iOS devices is really top notch. Even the tf700 which was a flagship device had screen clicking and flexing issues that myself and other noted. Vehicles have various degrees of quality build too. The more you pay, the tighter the clearances and finer fit of body and interior pieces. A 20k vehicle cannot compare to 60k vehicle. A 20k car will serve the purpose of transportation, but it's not the same. Apple devices may be overpriced to some degree, but you are paying for a consistent build quality. I wouldn't pay 5.00 for a coffee, but many people believe it's worth 5.00. To each their own. Everyone has their perception of value.
    I would absolutely love an android tablet with high end specs that was milled from solid aluminum stock like the htc hm8.

Sent from my iPad. My opinion is mine alone. There is a thousand ways to arrive at the same solution. Unless you are paying someone for the "right solution" you get what you get. Free advice is often worth the price you paid for it.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sparks3229 View Post
    OMG Janner, I do not want this to turn into any kind of rant either...but you are right. I knew where I was coming from when I wrote this, but for all to read my post on a forum, it can get ugly. Not at all interested in that.
    Thanks sparks - folks can get quite polarised on this subject (unnecessarily in my view) so it never hurts to ask for a friendly discussion rather than a polarised one.

I would love to stick with Android, as I just never wanted to "give in" to Apple, I guess. (uh oh-that can also lead to more rants...so don't)!
    I know what you mean, but I think "giving in" might be the wrong way to look at it - they are your $s so you spend 'em in the best way for you. I didn't buy an iPad (even though there were very few Android tablets around at the time) when I first bought a tablet for two main reasons - firstly the price, they seemed very expensive to me. Secondly, with iOS4 you still needed a computer to enable an iPad to work - and we didn't want to buy a PC (having spent 18months travelling Europe in a RV just using a Nokia smartphone)

But things have changed a lot since then - the iPad is now available in multiple "models" & price points & with iCloud it is now a fully mature, standalone device.

Janner...you really did sum up what I wanted to hear, I think, so thank you. Concise and to the point. So this customize-able "thing" that I always here about for Android. Are we just talking about pretty home pages, etc, and how you want it to look? (not too important to me). Yes, I guess we have different launchers to choose from, but if IOS launcher just WORKS, they don't need to look for other options.
    Others might add additional differences, but the main customisable features of Android devices as I understand them are...
    Live wallpapers
    Widgets
    Customisable home screens
    The ability to disable even supplied apps without "rooting"
    Greater access to the internal storage & more "windows like" file management
    Greater connectivity via HDMI & USB connection options (on some Android devices, not all)
    Again on some devices, storage expandability via microSD (not on Nexus devices)

Some folks will argue that rooting & using a custom ROM is a plus point for Android - which isn't a view I would share. On iPads, "Jailbreaking" is the direct equivalent - & I wouldn't consider that a plus either.

I have read how Android tablets really are the top sellers. I haven't looked into the new ones, as I spent a lot for the T201, and feel "obligated" o stick with it...but that obligation is waning. I tried to search for info about new tablets, but it is overwhelming. I just don't want it to get sluggish, like this one. Thank you for mentioning the Nexus, as that was mentioned in most of my searches as a great tablet. I felt that asking about tablets here with all of you guys would help me a bit to figure out where to go from here.
    Swipe makes an excellent case for Android devices & he has had excellent service & a great user experience from his Asus TF101 & now his TF300. He has never had one skip a beat & has never needed to Factory Reset for bug fixes or stability. On the other hand, with my TF101 I did suffer from stalled booting & also random reboots & had to Factory Reset on 2 occasions in the 12 months of my ownership in order to resolve those difficulties.

As osmosis has pointed out, for ease of use, ease of backing up & restoring, quality & functionality of apps, build quality and ease of customer service, iPad's really do stand out as being on top.

When I considered buying an iPad, I did a lot of research first to ensure that it could do what I needed it to do. As we do not own a PC, one of the important things was access to external storage & File Management. I discovered a superb app called FileBrowser (by Stratospherix) which enables me from within one app to store all the files & file types I want locally & manage them, additionally it accesses & will stream from our NAS absolutely flawlessly, it will also access the cloud services which we infrequently use (Dropbox for example). As far as our use is concerned, it is a direct equivalent of the excellent ES File Explorer app on Android.

iCloud means that I have no concerns with regards to backups & additionally the iPad is always on the newest version of the OS - today it was seamlessly updated to iOS 7.1.1 & it has never randomly rebooted, crashed or needed any sort of Factory Reset in the 19 months I have owned it, using it for 2-8 hours a day, every day. The battery life is superb & the smoothness of the user experience, quality & functionality of the apps & the build quality is better than any other device of any other OS I have ever owned or used. If I was buying another tablet today for my personal use, it would be the iPad Air. But that is my personal choice. If I had other criteria that meant an Android device would be a better "fit", I would buy one of them. Possibly either a Nexus or a Samsung (as I quite like the "TouchWiz" Samsung skin over Android). If I wanted a keyboard dock, then I would look at the options that Asus have available.

Another difference between the two types of device - Apple have 4:3 ratio screens, Android have 16:9. Now if one of the primary uses of your tablet is to watch movies, then the 16:9 screen is going to be a major plus for Android. Personally, I tend to do far more reading, look at our digital photos & web browsing and for those, the 4:3 screen format is far more appropriate. Even there, however, if you wanted an iPad mini size & 4:3 format, Acer do an Android tablet (the A1) with those physical characteristics - 1.2 GHz quad-core - RAM: DDR3 1 GB - eMMC 8 GB - Rear camera 5 MP - Front camera 0.3 MP - Display 7.9" XGA LED-backlit TFT LCD, 1024 x 768 - IPS technology - 10 point touch - Wireless - Bluetooth - GPS - Micro USB 2.0 - Micro HDMI - Micro SD - Gyroscope

Thank you!
    You are more than welcome I enjoy this sort of discussion amongst friendly folks - at the end of the day, we each buy what we feel is best for us & if the other guy buys something different because he feels it is better for him, then I say "good job". Personal choice is everything in this discussion, in my view. Of course, with so many choices, things can get confusing, but if you identify what your personal priorities & criteria are, then you will be better armed to make that choice.

All the best

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links