Thread: Micro sd card problem

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

Arrow Micro sd card problem

Could not find a similar problem to this, so starting a new thread. May not be a transformer issue, but maybe someone has run into this and can help.....

I have a PNY 32GB micro installed in my TF700T. The memory card worked fine when I initally installed and I saved MANY pictures and videos to it for safe keeping.

Now it will load the SD card, but does not show as available or any of my files exist. Plug the micro sd card into a card reader on my PC and it says that it is full/ or 0 size available. In desparation I tried to format, which means I lose everything that I saved on the card, but it just says that I cannot format it.

I have kids that use my tablet and wondering if they may have taken the card out with power on and screwed something up. I think my info is still on the card, but not accesible via any method that I have tried.

Any help? Any recovery? Any other problems with this SD card???

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    Welcome to the forum!

I am not sure what to say. If windows cannot format it, then it may have gone bad. Also, it is possible that it may be a counterfeit card. Some mean people make cards that have 1-4 GB of space but somehow show that there is 32 or 64 GB of space. Only the last 1-4 GB of data is actually accessible and they can get into a recursive loop if you load a file larger than the actual space.

I would try another computer, or a camera if you have one that can format an SD card.

If you get it working, search for H2testW and run that to see if the card is good.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    501 times
    In addition to the excellent tips above, try a different card in your tablet to rule out a tablet issue.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    18 times
    I had awful experiences with ext SD cards/USB sticks with my TF700 and my GS3. All of the cards and USB sticks (3 SD cards and 2 USB) that I used in my TF700 eventually started showing as locked, meaning that they aren’t writable from anything except the device that locked it. The GS3 doesn’t lock them, just shows it bad after about 2 months and I have to reformat.

When I get cards that Windows won’t do anything with I usually turn to a Linux app called GParted. Gparted will usually format just about anything, but you WILL lose all your data. Unfortunately all of the cards that my TF700 locked were only ever accessible by my TF700 even after reformatting or just died completely. It puzzles me as a seasoned IT guy, but it is what it is.

Gparted can be run off of a bootable disc in many different types of Linux distros and rescue discs. The most simple way is probably to just to make a bootable CD of DDResdue found here: Index of /ddrescue.

Good luck!
    vinkt77 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the info. The strangest thing is.... I do not think it was a bad card because I bought it from the same reliable place as I got my TF700 and used it quite often to save pictures and videos from my tablet with no problem. The issue did not start when more data was added, it just decided one day that it will mount, but show as 0 size available. I do not want to beat this issue to death because I can just go buy a new card, but wanted to know if I am going to run into the same problem again because I do not like losing all of my pics and vids that I cannot recover.

Bille2021, I like what you are saying and can relate because I DO get message that the card may be locked and to slide the lock switch (of course there is none). I will give your Linux suggestion a try..... and again need to lose everything on the card just to get it formatted and use again with the same risk. Looking at the big picture, do I have a realiability issue using a micro SD card in my transformer? I do not like making the same mistake twice.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links