Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times

which tablet to buy?

dear all,

after a brief experience with the Archos 101 (awful) I decided to buy a proper tablet.
    I thought of something similar to the iPad, but I don't like Apple computers, it's also too expensive.
    I would like something 3g, ipad and starts at € 630.

So I would like to orient myself on android.
    Simple jobs, reading books, watching some movies, browsing, pdf viewing and writing when they are meeting / notes / whatever.
    No games.

Needless to say, I want a touchscreen that is EQUAL to the Ipad one ... that makes me drool every time I scroll the pages, and that is "visionally speaking" extremely fast (not like my crappy archos)

I've been to a mall: I saw two tablets, and I've been advised with a third seriers of tablets

the first is the galaxy note 10.1, which is the top (according to the selling associate) of the samsung, equal to the iPad, even better, with android, quad core, but it is € 530.
    the second is the galaxy tab 2, which costs "only" 350 € (great price, about 200 € less than the other), except that it is dual core and is a bit "old" compared to the abovementioned , He says that the touchscreen is equal to 10.1 notes, only it's a bit slow if add a lot of crAPP.

The third (which was not on display) would be any tablet from the Asus Transformer series.

Visiting the ASUS website I found out that there are only the following tablets that are 10" with 3g funcionality:
    Transformer Pad Infinity TF700KL
    Transformer Pad TF300TG
    Transformer Pad TF300TL
    Eee Pad Transformer TF101G

from what I understand between the transformer and the PAD TF300TL TG changes that the TL has the LTE (so I exclude the TG)

for the infinity TF700KL I don't find any price,
    the TF300TG-TL is around 350 € (great price) and both are quad core.
    the Eee Pad Transformer TF101G as well as being "only" dual core, it is also the most expensive (on amazon around 499, I guess because it includes the dock)

On paper the asus TF300TG/TL have higher performance than samsung, better camera, better CPU, same ram, same memory ... but I have not had a chance to test the touchscreen.
    Infinity TF700KL not find anything at all, I just know that the core snapdragondual but nothing else ...

I've also seen that there is a newer, called "TF700" which is pretty much the same as the TF300 but has higher resolution screen. it cost around 599€ (too much for me)

Now I was thinking ...considering that I'll buy a tablet for working/watching movies/trolling around (no games), that it have to last at least 2-3 even 4 years, what do you think I should take?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Donnie15; 08-23-2013 at 09:08 AM.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2827 times
    Welcome to the forum

I'm sure you will get some other opinions , but here is mine...

If by " I want a touchscreen that is EQUAL to the Ipad one " you are talking about screen resolution, then you will have to rule out any Asus tablet you mention that isn't the TF700 as all the others have screens that are not as high definition as Apple's "retina screen" iPads.

The other Android tablet options with retina equaling or even beating screen resolutions are the Nexus 10 - but you would need to either tether to a mobile phone or get a MiFi portable wireless router for that one, or the new 2013 Nexus 7 - but that is a 7" screen, of course.

There are a number of other threads here on folks different "buying journey's" which you may find interesting. Whatever you end up with I hope you enjoy it.

Again, a warm welcome to you & all the best

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    67 times
    What does "retina" mean after all? It means that when you view the screen at normal viewing distance, you can't see the individual pixels. I'd classify my TF201 in that category.
    --
    LikesCookies
    TF201 CAOKASxxxxxx/BCOKASxxxxxx
    Dock C3OKASxxxxxx

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2827 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LikesCookies View Post
    What does "retina" mean after all? It means that when you view the screen at normal viewing distance, you can't see the individual pixels. I'd classify my TF201 in that category.
    Believe it or not, the term "retina screen" has been trademarked by Apple - for the iPad sized device I believe it refers to a screen with a resolution of 264 ppi. The only Asus tablet in that category is the TF700, and while I can personally see the difference between the resolution of the tf101, tf201, tf300 and that on the tf700 or iPad, some might not consider it enough of a difference to worry about

As I understand it, the new Nexus 7 is 323ppi
    Last edited by janner43; 08-23-2013 at 10:20 AM.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times
    the TF700 tho is very expensive...
    what about the other ones?

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    25 times
    While the tf700 is more expensive, it is well worth the money. You can usually find some good deal on used or refurbished devices. I don't believe they are still making the tf101 or the tf201 anymore. However you can still buy them on sites like Ebay and other sites like that. The tf300 you can buy either new or used at less money than what a tf700 would cost you. Good luck with finding a tablet that is best for you.

Chuck

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Although you might hqve a harder tim finding options that support 3g at those same prices. There are a few more 3g options at the 7 inch level (eg. 2012 nexus 7 which runs quad core tegra 3 cpu)
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cwbuckley View Post
    While the tf700 is more expensive, it is well worth the money. You can usually find some good deal on used or refurbished devices. I don't believe they are still making the tf101 or the tf201 anymore. However you can still buy them on sites like Ebay and other sites like that. The tf300 you can buy either new or used at less money than what a tf700 would cost you. Good luck with finding a tablet that is best for you.

Chuck
    which TF700 you refer? there are SO many TF700...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cwbuckley View Post

Chuck
    also where do I find a good used TF700? I've seen that on amazon it's ardoun 399$ new!!!!!!!!!! here is 800$!!!!!!
    If I find a good bargain at 399$ I'll buy it in america...

what's the difference between TF300 and TF700? Only the screen?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtanner00 View Post
    Although you might hqve a harder tim finding options that support 3g at those same prices. There are a few more 3g options at the 7 inch level (eg. 2012 nexus 7 which runs quad core tegra 3 cpu)
    what you mean? all the one I mentioned have 3g/4g support

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links