Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Not using an anti virus app? This may make you reconsider.

Super Moderator & Spaminator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    249 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jonasty123dm View Post
    Do you need an antivirus when you only download apps from the Play Store?
    In my opinion (and I've opinioned about it in several threads ), no, you don't. The reason is that malware writers will simply check their malware against existing antivirus apps (which are available to them from Play, just as for everyone else), so 1) malware writers can then verify that no AV detects it before uploading to Play, or modify their malware app until it looks "clean", and 2) it's likely that there's scanning by Google before it gets allowed into Play.

So what this means that there may very well be malware apps in Play Store, but your antivirus will not be able to detect it until too late: When the malware is recognized as malware the AV software get their update of course, but the malware will be removed from Play as well. The conclusion is that no AV can prevent you from downloading malware from Play.

But malware on other, non-Play sites (which can only be installed if you turn off the 'no unknown sources' check in settings) can certainly linger for much longer. So that's where the AV tools have their role: Detect old malware apps from non-Play sites.

Q: Can AV software protect me from malware downloaded from Play Store?
    A: Highly unlikely.
    Q: So how do I protect myself from malware on Play Store?
    A: Don't install brand new apps. Wait it out for a while and you should be OK. Read reviews too. And there are certain apps with a particular malware smell to them which should be avoided at all times. They often tend to promise showing "interesting" pictures. The few real malware reports I've read (not including the scare articles produced by AV application companies) have often been such apps. Not that there aren't other kinds.
    Q: Will installing an AV app do any harm?
    A: No. Or unlikely at least, if downloaded from Play. But it may slow down your device. Reports vary wildly from what I can tell.

-Tor
    christoi likes this.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    jonasty123dm's thread on this subject merged here. We do try to keep things organised if we can & this subject does come up quite regularly. Thanks for understanding

There are varied views on the subject, so I guess for anyone "the decision is yours" - both for whether to install and what to install (I use TrustGo currently & have used Lookout previously) but for some further background information and a good few links about the subject in a great deal of detail, I would recommend our Guide Thread on the subject, linked from my signature below.

All the best

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    In my opinion (and I've opinioned about it in several threads ), no, you don't. The reason is that malware writers will simply check their malware against existing antivirus apps (which are available to them from Play, just as for everyone else), so 1) malware writers can then verify that no AV detects it before uploading to Play, or modify their malware app until it looks "clean", and 2) it's likely that there's scanning by Google before it gets allowed into Play.

So what this means that there may very well be malware apps in Play Store, but your antivirus will not be able to detect it until too late: When the malware is recognized as malware the AV software get their update of course, but the malware will be removed from Play as well. The conclusion is that no AV can prevent you from downloading malware from Play.

But malware on other, non-Play sites (which can only be installed if you turn off the 'no unknown sources' check in settings) can certainly linger for much longer. So that's where the AV tools have their role: Detect old malware apps from non-Play sites.

Q: Can AV software protect me from malware downloaded from Play Store?
    A: Highly unlikely.
    Q: So how do I protect myself from malware on Play Store?
    A: Don't install brand new apps. Wait it out for a while and you should be OK. Read reviews too. And there are certain apps with a particular malware smell to them which should be avoided at all times. They often tend to promise showing "interesting" pictures. The few real malware reports I've read (not including the scare articles produced by AV application companies) have often been such apps. Not that there aren't other kinds.
    Q: Will installing an AV app do any harm?
    A: No. Or unlikely at least, if downloaded from Play. But it may slow down your device. Reports vary wildly from what I can tell.

-Tor

Thank you for making this clear. My brother started downloading random apps from the Store and he didn't read the permissions: he kept installing games that needed some unnecessary permissions. As a result I got some kind of spyware: a search icon appeared on my home screen. That's why I am a bit dubious about using an AV or not.

Chief Customizer & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jonasty123dm View Post
    Thank you for making this clear. My brother started downloading random apps from the Store and he didn't read the permissions: he kept installing games that needed some unnecessary permissions. As a result I got some kind of spyware: a search icon appeared on my home screen. That's why I am a bit dubious about using an AV or not.
    That's exactly the point! You can run two or three AVs at the same time, and it's not going to make a difference if you (the user) doesn't pay attention, doesn't read the permissions etc.
    @Tor: I agree with you 100% and your posts in this thread are the most illuminating on this subject I have read anywhere! Thank you!

And this comes from someone who prided himself on not catching any malware, virus, trojans on his Windows systems (where AV/firewall is essential I think) for many many years, and who, distracted by playing with his new phone, downloaded said Moto root tool from tucows.com, ignored and OVERRODE multiple warnings from AV AND firewall and ended up spending about two hours cleaning out that cr**!! Serves me right! LOL

IMHO if it makes you feel better running an AV on Android - go right ahead. But that's about all it's going to do - make you FEEL better.
    And hopefully you won't let down your guard because of it.....

Edit: Just a tiny correction. The program piggy-backed with malware I downloaded from tucows.com was RSD lite, not the Moto root tool. They're calling themselves TWO cows for a reason, I guess. You think you're getting one, but....
    Last edited by droidbound; 06-25-2013 at 01:16 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    If only Lavasoft made an Android version of Ad-Aware. That is the #1 malware scanner I use on my PC. I get awesome detection rates, compared to Malwarebytes, Kaspersky, Norton, etc. It finds lotsa Trojans, and I am not talking the ones from USC!! I bet if I could run a scan of my tablet while connected to my PC, by using the Windows context menu, I would see some detections.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you for information. I haven't used AV before

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Hey just thought I would leave this here to show a different angle. The article has links to others in the first paragraph. http://www.androidcentral.com/androi...-adrian-ludwig

The truth is that most malware on Android requires the installation of am all that is not from the google play store or the installation of a foreign app store. If a malware infused app got onto the play store google has the tools to remove it on your device before anything could happen.
    droidbound likes this.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links