Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times

multiple simultaneously working wifi routers on same home network

Hi -
    In order to have good wifi reception all over the house,
    I have connected a second wifi router to my LAN.
    The idea is to have both routers transceiving .

See my setup:
    netmap.jpg

I broadcast the SSID from the TP-LINK only (having both broadcast SSID, seems to cause repeated connect/disconnect problems).
    My TF700 does not receive from the Netgear

Please advise

Helping Hero & Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    246 times
    If it were me I would ust a different SSID on the other router. There have been complaints that the TF at time will not connect to WIFI that is not broadcasting the SSID.
    I have a "G" router a "G" repeater and a "N" AP all with different SSIDS.
    The problem with both having the same SSID is that as the signal varies the WIFI device will jump back and forth between the connections. The device will always try to use the strongest signal.

Also make sure only one router has the DHCP turned on.
    leeshor likes this.
    Help shortcuts

For TF101 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post177499
    For T100 http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post344339

My stuff!

ASUS T100 64GB
    TF101 32 GB + Grandkids toy now
    Nokia 635 win 8.1
    ASUS MB Z97-A with I5 CPU (mine home brew PC)
    HP Desktop (wife's)
    Retired: My week is six Saturdays and one Sunday!

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    27 times
    Get a repeater. They are cheap.
    If not, use another SSID at the 2nd router.
    I did the same (a ZTE was my modem-primary router and via ethernet my netfaster was the 2nd router).
    Everything was good. You just have to program the 2nd router to use as a gateway the ip of the 1st router and disable 2nd's dhcp (as mentioned above).

When i tried that with a thompson as 1st and the zte as 2nd, my wifi connections at the zte, were horrible. So, it might depend at the routers themselves.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy242 View Post
    Hi -

See my setup:
    netmap.jpg

I broadcast the SSID from the TP-LINK only (having both broadcast SSID, seems to cause repeated connect/disconnect problems).

Please advise
    We have one wireless router and 2 wired access points in a 4 level house. The cable modem feeds the wireless router ( a dir-655) which is wired to two dap1525 access points. The router and the access points have the same ssid and password (as they should) this is how large campuses or campgrounds are configured. The access points should be on different channels. Refer to a channel separation chart on the wifi wiki. As you walk around the ssid remains the same but the channel changes seamlessly to the strongest signal. This is the correct way to set this up. You may be able to configure one router to access point mode, do not us different ssid's. This setup has been in for about 3 years and works great. We are replacing everything this week with AC band equipment but all the devices will be replaced one at a time, configuring them exactly like the unit they are replacing.

Sent via electron magic

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    2 times
    What "osmosis" said is the correct setup. Haven't tried it with my TF201, but works perfect with my Droid Bionic. (ICS and JB)

Do not use a repeater if you have a high band width device on the WiFi, as that uses 1/2 your bandwidth.
    --
    TF201 - Connect Dock
    Motorola Droid Bionic

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by helpifIcan View Post
    If it were me I would ust a different SSID on the other router. There have been complaints that the TF at time will not connect to WIFI that is not broadcasting the SSID.
    I have a "G" router a "G" repeater and a "N" AP all with different SSIDS.
    The problem with both having the same SSID is that as the signal varies the WIFI device will jump back and forth between the connections. The device will always try to use the strongest signal.

Also make sure only one router has the DHCP turned on.
    I have this same exact setup with a U-Verse "G" router and a Netgear repeater and a CradlePoint "N" AP. All have different SSID's.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy242 View Post
    Hi -

See my setup:
    netmap.jpg

Please advise
    welcome to my world. I have a thread here abouts concerning this same issue. What happens for me is the connection wanders from an AP (or node if you prefer) to which I explicitly connect with little rhyme or reason. All power saving and optimization options are off.

It was the same on my tf300t prior to the update from 4.1.1 to 4.2.1. My Lg Motion phone remains rock steady on the desired AP. There is something in the newest connection management logic which is far from cooperative with multi-AP same SSID networks.

To my testing it has boiled down to one thing....signal strength. I notice from my logs the tf700t will jump to an AP with a stronger signal just because and it does not matter if the other signal is perfectly OK. As long as the other AP is coming in stronger then it makes a bee-line for that AP.

What Asus [and perhaps Google] must give us is an option to control roaming in a single SSID environment. We need:

1. No roaming;
    2. mild roaming;
    3. aggressive roaming;

Perhaps there are others but those are what would be fine for my needs. We basically have them on Windows boxes and I assume Linux boxes have similar driver options or can be set to this behavior in a config file somewhere.

This is not your router or AP's being problematic but give that the tf300 was steady on the desired AP and my LG Motion is even more sticky to the selected AP the issue must be somehow related to 4.2.1....though there is some slight channel overlap. I tested isolating the two AP's and nope that was not the cause of the behavior.

Thank goodness for apps like Wifi Analyzer where I can closely monitor the connected AP and switch back when I see a change at the wrong time. A nice feature of wifi Analyzer the a nice graphic chart showing approximate channel spread. You can ID overlap instantly though you might not be able to eliminate it completel. Yes it's burdensome but better than nothing. If anyone has a better connection manager I'm game to try it out.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

TRANSFORMER FORUMS LEGEND
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    2676 times
    I have a router and 2 WiFi AP's connected by Ethernet in my house. One is a G/N and the other is a G only in the attic. They are configured for the same SSID and password and my TF101 jumps between them flawlessly. Be sure they are on different channels.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links