Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times

Use Tablet as Extended Display (Secondary Monitor)

How can i extend my windows desktop by using my tablet (TF-101) so i can have it acting as a secondar Monitor and display applications there? I need something like Splashtop or Temaviewer, but i dont want to mirror what my Dekstop sees, i want to see different things on my Tablet. I have heard of apps like AirDisplay, X-Display etc, but they require lots of driver installations and librariew, and i try to keep my insalltions to a minimum so i can keep running a clean Windows System...

Any ideaw/suggestions?

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    91 times
    You can't use a tablet as a second display like that. You would need to turn the output into an input, and even then it might not work correctly. Splashtop doesn't necessarily mirror your desktop, but rather lets you control your desktop remotely from the tablet. If you just want a 2nd monitor to extend your desktop computer, you'd be better suited to just buy a monitor.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    There's an ASUS for that. It's a Taichi, or something like that. Win 8 laptop has an Android tablet (18", if I remember)

It's about $1200.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times
    But you can, i already mentioned software that can stream to an extended display. To avoid confusion, i dont want a hardware solution. Like cable and input on the tablet, cause this surely cannot be done. On the other hand though there are apps that use wifi and extend your desktop (X-Display, AirDisplay) are a couple ive tried. But they require lots of 3rd party drivers to be installed. I'm just looking for something with a lighter server app so i wont bulk up my PC with heavy installations and additional drivers.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    75 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ziki View Post
    But you can, i already mentioned software that can stream to an extended display. To avoid confusion, i dont want a hardware solution. Like cable and input on the tablet, cause this surely cannot be done. On the other hand though there are apps that use wifi and extend your desktop (X-Display, AirDisplay) are a couple ive tried. But they require lots of 3rd party drivers to be installed. I'm just looking for something with a lighter server app so i wont bulk up my PC with heavy installations and additional drivers.
    Well X-display and AirDisplay do exactly what you're looking for. If it could be done without driver installations, don't you think those apps would have tried that first?

Just thinking out loud.... Windows won't extend your desktop unless a secondary monitor is connected. Monitors require drivers. The Generic PnP Monitor driver won't work. You need a driver that will simulate a monitor but actually output to a wifi tablet. Logically, this is required. What's the problem?
    Tablet: Asus TF101 B9O 16 GB + 32 GB microSD | SOC: 1.4 GHz Tegra 2 | OS: Team EOS 4 JB 4.2.2 (latest nightly) | Kernel: KAT 103 | Dock: B7O
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250 16 GB | SOC: 1.2 GHz OMAP4 | OS: stock JB 4.1.2 (JZO54K)
    Laptop: Dell XPS 1340 | CPU: Core 2 Duo P8600 w/ 4GB DDR3 dual-channel | OS: Win7 Pro | Other: copper mod

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    91 times
    There's no way around not using drivers and such..

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ziki View Post
    How can i extend my windows desktop by using my tablet (TF-101) so i can have it acting as a secondar Monitor and display applications there? I need something like Splashtop or Temaviewer, but i dont want to mirror what my Dekstop sees, i want to see different things on my Tablet. I have heard of apps like AirDisplay, X-Display etc, but they require lots of driver installations and librariew, and i try to keep my insalltions to a minimum so i can keep running a clean Windows System...

Any ideaw/suggestions?
    I just tried using teamviewer to do what you wanted.
    Install teamviewer on your desktop, and teamviewer on TF101.
    Connect teamviewer to the desktop using TF101.
    When connected, extend the desktop of your Windows (window button + P, select extend display).
    Teamviewer will see extended screen, then you drag whatever items you want to extend on that second screen.

Tried it with Hangout, and it was transmitting video and sound, so I muted the speaker/mic of the TF101.
    Problem with teamviewer though is the limited size on the tablet so it will occupy only 3/4 of the TF101's screen.

Goodluck!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times
    How exactly did yo get it to work? I pressed win+P and then extend option but it still shows the mirror. I pressed the settings control on android tablet teamviewer and it had an option for monitor. i tried that, and acted as a second screen, but after a min or so it disconnected, and i never got that option again...

Maybe something to do with gpu or drivers? What hardware where you using?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 2.X
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TabletFreak View Post
    There's an ASUS for that. It's a Taichi, or something like that. Win 8 laptop has an Android tablet (18", if I remember)

It's about $1200.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    $1200? so expensive! I can find more cheap.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I also recommend using teamviewer for this purpose! Now you even have a button for this feature in the android app. You can find a tutorial here: [HOWTO] Use your NC as a secondary PC screen - xda-developers or use these instructions if you have an nvidia graphics card: xda-developers - View Single Post - [HOWTO] Use your NC as a secondary PC screen

PS: Use your device screen resolution
    Last edited by Dannycj; 09-03-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Ads