Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by loner View Post
    You believe all that or is it a paste from Microsoft tech? Since Microsoft became the dominant leader in the software area their loyal followers tend to expect better than what the average. Users may not like changing whats not broken at least till they get used to it. The OS could of been planned with that in mind and still make necessary changes for security. If users are given a choice to use a classic interface or the current one, don't most try to learn the new interface at a pace they are more comfortable with? Microsoft makes a very good product as a rule but have made some flops that users were either stuck with or went back to a OS they like better. The thing is that with the changing technologies the makers of softwares are trying very hard to keep up with the competition and still make a good product that consumers will want.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
    Nothing cut and past, just facts and how it really is... Really, name one OS that appeals to everyone? Name one that has multiple customizations that don't involve you altering the installation? Name one that came out perfect on the first day of release?

Even Linux, lots of people don't like Unity... There isn't just another default, you have to get rid of unity and replace it! How is that any different from using a 3rd party solution to change how Windows 8 works to the way you prefer?

Explain why even Linux, which only has about 5% of the personal computer market has over 600 different distros if there was any version that could even remotely appeal to everyone? It's not like Open Source doesn't allow the people to have direct influence over the OS design and development, yet even among a smaller group of users there is nothing resembling a consensus!

While the UI isn't all they changed with Windows 8 and the Modern UI is literally a new OS merged with the old to preserve legacy support. Modern UI apps for example are run sand boxed, just like Linux apps!

As the chart shows they just got the kernel in common... really, making a OS more power efficient, faster, and more secure... along with introducing new capabilities and range of functionality go beyond just changing the UI... So there's a lot more different about the Modern UI than just how it looks!

It's just because the Modern UI side needs more time to develop and gets a larger range of apps, along with not wanting to give up legacy support right away that Windows 8 was made a hybrid of old and new!

And no, all those changes aren't something that can be easily done... really, it has been tried numerous times before and every time the attempt has failed... Windows 8 has lasted longer than any of those previous attempts and still has a chance of being successful if they keep on improving it... So far it looks like it just needs time, which is what most versions of Windows tend to always need... And most other OS tend to also require time to improve as well... Just because a product is out of Beta doesn't mean it's bug free or that they're done with it.

Browsers, OS, etc all evolve over time and there's a difference from expecting better from expecting the impossible... Advance changes to something as big and complicated as a desktop OS takes time to do, let alone perfect! And time can't always be wasted waiting for a product to be perfected so many just release it when it works okay and then keep on working on it over time.

Even with something simpler like Mobile OS things take time... When Android made the switch to tablets from phones, it took a whole lot of changes before they finally merged the 3.x (tablets) and 2.x (phones) with 4.x for a single version to cover all devices... but even then they never stopped making changes... adding support for 7" as well as phone and full size tablets... and now they're working on a desktop mode, similar to what they did for Chrome. All of which took years of development and a mobile OS is a lot easier to change than a desktop OS!

Even the Buttery Smooth feature is something that is still a work in progress, along with other features of Android... and iOS as well has a long list of changes they've done over the years... even though it pretty much looks the same but a lot has changed...

So lets keep expectations a little more realistic and give them more time!

After all, it's not like we have to rush... Windows 7 will still be supported until 2020, and even mainstream support won't end till 2015... So it will still be treated like a new product till then! Along with all the other alternatives... While plenty of 3rd party solutions exist if you'd rather Windows 8 worked a little differently...

Mind, Windows 8 supports emerging new technologies... So the only real pressure is not wanting to not be able to make the most of these new features and capabilities but we'd have to move over to a new OS regardless because the old ones won't support these new technologies because they weren't designed to and it would take more than a minor update to make them capable of supporting them!
    Last edited by zeo; 05-30-2013 at 11:13 AM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    72 times
    The consumers are the deciding factor on weather a OS, a product line or even a corporation survives in the end. Competition paves the way for future success or failure.

DEVICES__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Asus TF701T - Custom; Samsung Galaxy S3 - Custom; Asus TF700T - Custom; Toshiba Thrive - (retired)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

Powered by Cyanogenmod !!

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by loner View Post
    The consumers are the deciding factor on weather a OS, a product line or even a corporation survives in the end. Competition paves the way for future success or failure.
    Yes, the consumers are the deciding factor on whether any product survives or not. Competition not only helps pave the way for future success or failures but also helps motivate progress and improvements...

But if it was easy to create the ideal OS then it not only would have been done already but everyone would be doing it!

Thus both existing and growing alternative options will take time to develop and we'll see where it goes from there...

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    72 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    Yes, the consumers are the deciding factor on whether any product survives or not. Competition not only helps pave the way for future success or failures but also helps motivate progress and improvements...

But if it was easy to create the ideal OS then it not only would have been done already but everyone would be doing it!

Thus both existing and growing alternative options will take time to develop and we'll see where it goes from there...
    The consumers has spoken!
    Microsoft Restores Start Button, Adds Search to Windows

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...o-windows.html

DEVICES__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Asus TF701T - Custom; Samsung Galaxy S3 - Custom; Asus TF700T - Custom; Toshiba Thrive - (retired)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __