Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    501 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post

Frenziedfemale, I don't know how it could have taken you that long to find device manager. Just type in "device manager" in the search and it will pop up for you.
    Well, I think I explained why, the lack of ANY instruction or tutorial. The only, yes only instruction it gave after installing was ''move the mouse to the corner''. I was use to the way things were on all the previous versions of windows and therefore was trying to find things the same way. The kicker being that I was trying to install a wireless adapter so I was sans interweb at that moment, and couldn't look up how to do it at the time. I have since figured out win8, but still don't use it much as I am usually on a mobile device now. I am pretty indifferent to the operating system itself, just think that there should have been more of a tutorial that came with it. Previous versions of windows had the ''would you like to take a tour'' thing that came up after install.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    14 times
    The lack of instructions was kind of a bummer. Windows 8 really is easy to use but like most other things it is only easy once you know how.

Once I figured it out I installed W-8 on my wife's computer and had her using the OS in about 20 minutes.

It really is amazing what some instructions can do.
    frenziedfemale likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    72 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    Actually, according to my experience, most people, and I mean 90% of the people out there, are indifferent with windows 8. What we are seeing with regard to the w8 haters fits in with haters of anything else. When someone hates something, they will call a press conference, post on every forum they could find of how much they hate it, etc. The people who are indifferent about it or actually like it are less likely to go online discuss about it.

I've interacted with a dozen people or so who have recently bought a win8 device. I've asked them what they think about win8 and they all have just given me the "whatever works" answer. They don't care.

Frenziedfemale, I don't know how it could have taken you that long to find device manager. Just type in "device manager" in the search and it will pop up for you.

Attachment 5760
    You have charts?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T
    DEVICES__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Asus TF701T - Custom; Samsung Galaxy S3 - Custom; Asus TF700T - Custom; Toshiba Thrive - (retired)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

Powered by Cyanogenmod !!

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by frenziedfemale View Post
    Well, I think I explained why, the lack of ANY instruction or tutorial. The only, yes only instruction it gave after installing was ''move the mouse to the corner''. I was use to the way things were on all the previous versions of windows and therefore was trying to find things the same way. The kicker being that I was trying to install a wireless adapter so I was sans interweb at that moment, and couldn't look up how to do it at the time. I have since figured out win8, but still don't use it much as I am usually on a mobile device now. I am pretty indifferent to the operating system itself, just think that there should have been more of a tutorial that came with it. Previous versions of windows had the ''would you like to take a tour'' thing that came up after install.
    Windows 8 does take a bit to get used to.

When I got a new tower last November, it came with Win8, and Best Buy did offer some form of instruction with it. When they asked and I said I didn't want it, I actually had to sign something stating that I didn't take the instruction they offered.

My intention with the tower was Windows 7, so Win8 lasted as long as it took me to see if the tower worked fine.

I do have a few Windows 8 devices though. I use a Surface Pro and an Acer W700, both running Windows 8, and I have a Surface RT as well.

Win8 works well with touch-screen devices, but to use it as a work-system, a desktop with a non-touch screen attached to it, everything is a bit cumbersome. I always have multiple apps open, and the new interface doesn't work well with that. EVen on the tablets, I find myself more in classic desktop mode than in the new interface.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    22 times
    I have Win8 on an "extra" laptop, so I can try it out. It's okay, but I too stay mostly on the desktop. I do NOT like metro mode apps on a PC -- especially IE. I don't have a win8 tab, so I'm not sure how I would like metro there, probably would be okay.

I also miss widgets on the desktop (my favorite being CPU monitor and Network meter). IN their place, I use the task monitor in a naked graphics mode, but it's not as convenient as desktop widgets. I wouldn't want it like live tiles either, because I watch them while processes are running to see "what's happening" in real time.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    80 times
    All MS needed to do was make metro an option. One little tick mark woulda made a lot of folks on a non touch screen system happy.

Gimmie back my Start button and desktop at bootup! I hate not having my choice! Otherwise Win 8 is good.
    Not Your Father's Stock TF700T - KatKiss Is ON!
    Thanks to timduru - droidbound - kevinthefixer!

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    72 times
    Quote Originally Posted by flhthemi View Post
    All MS needed to do was make metro an option. One little tick mark woulda made a lot of folks on a non touch screen system happy.

Gimmie back my Start button and desktop at bootup! I hate not having my choice! Otherwise Win 8 is good.
    On my desktop and laptop I have Windows 7 and I am satisfied. I am in no way a Microsoft hater, I even ran the Microsoft DOS before Windows. The early versions of Windows were not good at all until Windows 95, in my opinion. Then improvements in newer versions but from what I here about Windows 8, it might take some getting used to. As far as tablets I am good with android. Its depends on what you like.
    DEVICES__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Asus TF701T - Custom; Samsung Galaxy S3 - Custom; Asus TF700T - Custom; Toshiba Thrive - (retired)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

Powered by Cyanogenmod !!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - iOS
    Liked
    0 times
    above information, i have known something, thank you very much.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Auspex View Post
    I also miss widgets on the desktop (my favorite being CPU monitor and Network meter). IN their place, I use the task monitor in a naked graphics mode, but it's not as convenient as desktop widgets. I wouldn't want it like live tiles either, because I watch them while processes are running to see "what's happening" in real time.
    You mean gadgets... MS removed them because of potential of adding security vulnerabilities but you can easily add them back...

Install Desktop Gadgets and Sidebar in Windows 8 | Team Windows 8

Quote Originally Posted by flhthemi View Post

That may be but thing is no OS really gives much options to begin with... The reason people liked Windows was not because of what MS provided as options but because it was easy to get options for it... people just seem lazier about it now than they used to be or at least complain more about having to do it...

3rd party custom themes, UI modifiers, etc have been around for nearly as long as Windows itself has and that's still the case with Windows 8... So if you don't like the defaults then there's plenty of options to enable changes you may like better...

Classic Shell, RetroUI, Start8, etc...

You may not be able to get the original Start Menu back but there are alternatives, both free and pay for... Don't like Metro in full screen, there's a app for that too (no pun intended) that will put it into a Window and then you can treat it like any desktop app... You can even disable the modern UI altogether.

While those on the fence about W8 may want to wait till the upcoming Windows 8.1 update that should make some improvements to W8... which brings up another factor about Windows, MS has always released Windows before it has been fully developed and then fixed and improved it over time... even as they get ready for the next version release.

Windows XP for example actually took about 3 years and two SP Releases before it was considered stable and good enough to really replace Windows 95 and ME, which were hardly stable themselves... And it still took a 3rd SP release before they were done with XP... If it wasn't for Vista, people would have dropped XP long ago but MS messed up with that release and that's when people started losing trust with MS on Windows releases, inducing enough pressure to force MS to support XP well past its intended life cycle.

Thing is Vista didn't just get dropped either... MS continued to work on it and fixed most of the original issues with the first SP release but because of the loss of trust it wasn't enough. So MS hit on a new strategy... They tweaked Vista a little more and then renamed it to Windows 7!

However, the damage was done and despite finally having fixed Vista with Windows 7 it still took over three years before Windows 7 became widely accepted and that's mainly because MS announced the ending of XP support in April of 2014... So it was really just the last year that Windows 7 finally became the new dominant version of Windows being used by consumers.

Meanwhile, Windows 8 has only been out for less than a year now... and it brings about even greater changes than going from XP to Windows 7... But a lot of those changes have the future of computing in mind and so a lot of those changes will be changes MS will be sticking with because they need to to prevent Windows from becoming obsolete in the future.

Windows 8 supports things like advance power management that allows Windows to operate efficiently on mobile devices and support mobile features like always connected standby.... Things previous Windows never supported!

While touch screens are steadily becoming more common but Windows 8 will also support other growing technologies like motion control. Asus supporting Leap Motion for example is one of a growing number of examples where motion control is becoming mainstream.

Given time these will all get integrated into how we use technology, just like we learned and got used to the mouse and other input control options in the past and only then will Windows 8 show itself off as being the better choice because it will natively support these new features and capabilities.

While the upcoming Windows 8.1 update is something MS will be doing annually... unlike Service Pack Releases that can take years between releases, as well as offering more changes per update that you would usually require 2-3 SP releases to equal... Means Windows 8 will improve over time and at a fast rate than any previous version.

For now, people still cling to the old ways and people tend to resist change...

Quote Originally Posted by loner View Post
    On my desktop and laptop I have Windows 7 and I am satisfied. I am in no way a Microsoft hater, I even ran the Microsoft DOS before Windows. The early versions of Windows were not good at all until Windows 95, in my opinion. Then improvements in newer versions but from what I here about Windows 8, it might take some getting used to. As far as tablets I am good with android. Its depends on what you like.
    Basic idea behind Windows 8 is a single OS that can be used on a wide range of devices and not just traditional desktops anymore... Designed for how things should work going foward... Thing is any All In One OS will have to deal with compromises and there's still the question of whether the market is ready for a All In One OS yet... While the OS still needs more development and time will tell but I think its chances are better than it may seem now...
    eejit and Zoomer like this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    72 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    You mean gadgets... MS removed them because of potential of adding security vulnerabilities but you can easily add them back...

Install Desktop Gadgets and Sidebar in Windows 8 | Team Windows 8

That may be but thing is no OS really gives much options to begin with... The reason people liked Windows was not because of what MS provided as options but because it was easy to get options for it... people just seem lazier about it now than they used to be or at least complain more about having to do it...

3rd party custom themes, UI modifiers, etc have been around for nearly as long as Windows itself has and that's still the case with Windows 8... So if you don't like the defaults then there's plenty of options to enable changes you may like better...

Classic Shell, RetroUI, Start8, etc...

You may not be able to get the original Start Menu back but there are alternatives, both free and pay for... Don't like Metro in full screen, there's a app for that too (no pun intended) that will put it into a Window and then you can treat it like any desktop app... You can even disable the modern UI altogether.

While those on the fence about W8 may want to wait till the upcoming Windows 8.1 update that should make some improvements to W8... which brings up another factor about Windows, MS has always released Windows before it has been fully developed and then fixed and improved it over time... even as they get ready for the next version release.

Windows XP for example actually took about 3 years and two SP Releases before it was considered stable and good enough to really replace Windows 95 and ME, which were hardly stable themselves... And it still took a 3rd SP release before they were done with XP... If it wasn't for Vista, people would have dropped XP long ago but MS messed up with that release and that's when people started losing trust with MS on Windows releases, inducing enough pressure to force MS to support XP well past its intended life cycle.

Thing is Vista didn't just get dropped either... MS continued to work on it and fixed most of the original issues with the first SP release but because of the loss of trust it wasn't enough. So MS hit on a new strategy... They tweaked Vista a little more and then renamed it to Windows 7!

However, the damage was done and despite finally having fixed Vista with Windows 7 it still took over three years before Windows 7 became widely accepted and that's mainly because MS announced the ending of XP support in April of 2014... So it was really just the last year that Windows 7 finally became the new dominant version of Windows being used by consumers.

Meanwhile, Windows 8 has only been out for less than a year now... and it brings about even greater changes than going from XP to Windows 7... But a lot of those changes have the future of computing in mind and so a lot of those changes will be changes MS will be sticking with because they need to to prevent Windows from becoming obsolete in the future.

Windows 8 supports things like advance power management that allows Windows to operate efficiently on mobile devices and support mobile features like always connected standby.... Things previous Windows never supported!

While touch screens are steadily becoming more common but Windows 8 will also support other growing technologies like motion control. Asus supporting Leap Motion for example is one of a growing number of examples where motion control is becoming mainstream.

Given time these will all get integrated into how we use technology, just like we learned and got used to the mouse and other input control options in the past and only then will Windows 8 show itself off as being the better choice because it will natively support these new features and capabilities.

While the upcoming Windows 8.1 update is something MS will be doing annually... unlike Service Pack Releases that can take years between releases, as well as offering more changes per update that you would usually require 2-3 SP releases to equal... Means Windows 8 will improve over time and at a fast rate than any previous version.

For now, people still cling to the old ways and people tend to resist change...

Basic idea behind Windows 8 is a single OS that can be used on a wide range of devices and not just traditional desktops anymore... Designed for how things should work going foward... Thing is any All In One OS will have to deal with compromises and there's still the question of whether the market is ready for a All In One OS yet... While the OS still needs more development and time will tell but I think its chances are better than it may seem now...
    You believe all that or is it a paste from Microsoft tech? Since Microsoft became the dominant leader in the software area their loyal followers tend to expect better than what the average. Users may not like changing whats not broken at least till they get used to it. The OS could of been planned with that in mind and still make necessary changes for security. If users are given a choice to use a classic interface or the current one, don't most try to learn the new interface at a pace they are more comfortable with? Microsoft makes a very good product as a rule but have made some flops that users were either stuck with or went back to a OS they like better. The thing is that with the changing technologies the makers of softwares are trying very hard to keep up with the competition and still make a good product that consumers will want.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by loner; 05-29-2013 at 02:01 PM.