Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Are pop up ads ruining your tablet experience?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Are pop up ads ruining your tablet experience?

I can understand having ads on webpages. I know they need to make money. However, when the ad is intrusive, it is simply ruining the browsing experience. On a computer it's tolerable. I know where the X is and I can always close it out. But on a tablet, it's sometimes not so easy. The whole ad covers the whole page, with the X somewhere in the top corner. You press it wrong and you go to the advertisers page. I hate it. I make a point to remember the ad and swear that I will never buy it if it shoves itself onto my webpages.

Just wondering what can be done. Is there an app to simply block all the crap? I would gladly pay for it. These advertisers need to learn not to 'shove it' into your face. If you want to have banner ads, fine. But don't have scrolling ads, ads with hidden close box, ads that slows your tablet to a crawl.

Needed to vent.....

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2270 times
    I hope you are feeling better now

I can understand your annoyance - it is pretty frustrating - I suggest you try a few different browsers (see the link in my signature on that subject). On a number of them, you can "block pop ups", that should prevent some of what you are experiencing.

As your subject is of general interest & not specific to the tf101, I have moved it to our "General Discussion" section where others might also join in and add some ideas.

All the best

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    8 times
    You might want to try AdBlock plus. But I think I've heard that it's been pulled from the Google Play Store because... uh, Google likes ads. I have it on my tablet and phone.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2667 times
    Some browsers like Firefox and Firefox Beta have an add in to block ads in the browsers just like their desktop older siblings.

And +1 for Adblock.

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    961 times
    Adblock ws pulled from the Play Store due to Developer complaints. You can get it directly from their website.
    leeshor likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Western Alberta, Canada ( Near the Rockies )
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    8 times
    When I first bought my Tablet last year, I installed a bunch of free games like Angry Birds, but in the last month or so, the ads became so annoying ( they interrupted gameplay ) that I have uninstalled all of them, I don't need or want that crap.

As for browsers, I have always used Firefox on my PC's with adblock ( nothing more annoying than Google-Analytic or most things Google related like Google+ etc ) for years so it's not a problem there but I find browser use on a tablet not a too-enjoyable experience in general and prefer using my PC for that most of the time.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - iOS
    Liked
    11 times
    Ads are just normal and that's really the bad part of it. Yupz! there are ad blockers but I dont think it's legal now. Havent installed it. Just prolong your patience. hehe

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    7 times
    Adblock plus works great. Though for some things you need to disable it, otherwise, no ads at all.
    Steve M
    Asus Transformer Prime TF201
    Samsung Galaxy S III

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    449 times
    I don't mind the ads in free apps, if I want to get rid of them I will pay for the adfree version. I figure the davelopers need some support. As for browsing, I use boat browser, and in settings I have enabled block poppop up, and I have enable flash on demand. I find it loads pages quicker without all the flash ads and if I wish to see something 'flashy' like a video, I just tap the arrow. If you find that you are getting a lot of ads, even when not actively running apps, I would suggest some sleuthing and uninstall whichever one is the cause. There are usually more options out there.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    81 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alicepattinson View Post
    Ads are just normal and that's really the bad part of it. Yupz! there are ad blockers but I dont think it's legal now. Havent installed it. Just prolong your patience. hehe
    Ad blockers are legal, and even if they weren't it's hard to see how it could be enforced.

All an ad blocker does is re-direct requests to known ad servers to the device's loop back address (127.0.0.1), so there's no way for an ad provider to know if their ads have been blocked or just never requested in the first place - the blocked ad request never leaves your device.

There is absolutely no requirement to put up with ads on any web browsing device - even my iPhone has a custom 'hosts' file installed that blocks ads - and the really neat thing is that the 'hosts' file seems to have the same format under all of the common operating systems, so it's easy enough to copy it from one device that does have an ad blocker installed eg., your PC, on to an Android, *nix or IOS device and get ad blocking on them all, even if you don't have a specific ad blocker installed on the other devices. In fact, you don't even have to have an ad blocker on any of your devices - just download an ad blocking 'hosts' file from the web and install it, or, alternatively, edit your own 'hosts' file to block urls that serve ads when you're browsing.

Here's a sample from the beginning of mine to get you started:

# These two lines must be present
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    ::1 localhost

# Ad blocking starts below this line
    127.0.0.1 208.185.87.8.liveadvert.com
    127.0.0.1 t2.leadlander.com
    127.0.0.1 counter.biz land.com

etc., just add lines as you desire to block stuff that particularly annoys you.
    Last edited by MikeS; 04-02-2013 at 03:54 PM.
    Swipe likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads