Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    496 times

Please explain to me about the padfone

Why would a person prefer this over a smartphone and a tablet? I am having trouble understanding this concept.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    834 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    Why would a person prefer this over a smartphone and a tablet? I am having trouble understanding this concept.
    I'm with you GI, seems gimmicky, with no real advantages!
    Asus Eee Pad TF101; Samsung Galaxy S4; Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition; Galaxy Note 8

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    DynamicDisplay – this ASUS exclusive technology automatically adjusts the PadFone’s display layout when it is placed into the PadFone Station to enable you to view and enjoy more. The intelligent DynamicDisplay technology will also ensure that the app remembers where you stopped so that you can immediately continue playing that new game without having to start all over again when switching from PadFone to PadFone Station and vice versa.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    18 times
    I think it's a good concept. No more worrying about syncing your devices. trying to figure out if you have the latest document. don't have to have e-mails on two different devices.

Best of all... Save $40.00 a month because you only need One Cellular Data Plan !!!!!
    Asus TF101 16G (B50K) + Dock (B80K)
    ICS -

Ironhide
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    32 times
    also the tablet acts as a charger to the phone thus greatly increasing phone battery life! Now if only they also offered a keyboard that acted as a charger for the tablet and phone ala padfone I and it would be that much a better value (asus says just use Bluetooth keyboad instead) but I've yet to find a bluetooth keyboard with a battery and extra ports like the keyboard docks have !!!

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    197 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptedstylus View Post
    I'm with you GI, seems gimmicky, with no real advantages!
    Seems simple enough, most mobile tablets are basically just Smart phone hardware with bigger screens. So why use multiple devices when you can just adapt one for multiple purposes?

Does it make more sense to always duplicate all your settings, all your app installs, all your preferences, all your files, etc. for multiple devices or go with just one device and just slap on a larger screen when you want to use it as a tablet?

The only issue right now is consistency... Since people tend to change phones fairly regularly, they need to standardize the design to allow people to keep using the same accessory docks with each new phone but they keep changing the design of the phone... so that's not exactly easy either.

This isn't a new idea btw, the OQO UMPC for example was suppose to evolve into a computer unit that could be docked and used in multiple forms but what has held back this idea is that it was always too costly and didn't provide enough performance to cover all the possible usages. It's only now that the performance and costs are reaching the point that it could become practical to expect a basic device that can fit in a phone to still be useful for tablet and even laptop usages... Though, personally I think it still needs another generation as costs are still a bit high and performance needs to be a tad better still... but it has to start somewhere and it's just a question if you want to be a early adopter or not...

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    834 times
    What you say is true, but I use my phone differently than my TF, eg-I don't use any alarms or calendar functions or password apps on my TF, that's my phones job!
    Asus Eee Pad TF101; Samsung Galaxy S4; Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition; Galaxy Note 8

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Padfone 1
    Liked
    0 times
    #1 No need to sync data, apps or settings.
    #2 If needed, the tablet can work as an extra battery for your phone. (this has helped me a lot)
    #3 Only one data plan required to power both (and do not tell me about tethering the tablet through your phone's WiFi, guess which one of them dies first).
    #4 Cheaper than similar phone and tablet combined. (this was at least true with the original Padfone)

Ads