Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Am I the only person fed up with the "I broke my screen" posts.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    4 times

Am I the only person fed up with the "I broke my screen" posts.

8/10 these are down to user error, fat fingers, kids, pets, clumsiness
    1. Take out gadget insurance.
    2. get a screen protector and a case.
    3. Treat it carefully

The threads seem to have a common feel, they break it and expect asus to fix it and pay all carriage.
    If you are in the UK, and it's over £100, pay on a credit card, then the card company is jointly responsible, even if your bought on the internet.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    74 times
    i have never broken a touch screen before, and ive had quite a few, i take good care of my devices and then they last ages, infact all my devices with touch screens have no scratches on the front at all

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    904 times
    Guys, I would immediately find some wood, and start knocking! I, too, am very protective of my electronic devices, but many years ago I had to retrieve my stomach off the cement, along with my beloved Handspring Visor Pro (a Palm device), while I examined the intricate web of broken digitizer glass! I have to admit that I didn't report the incident to any forum... the only shoulder I had to cry on was my wife's, who was standing next to me and could certainly feel my pain! I immediately sent it out for repair and gladly paid the cost. It happens!
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    I think this thread has the potential to upset quite a few...
    OP, you should know that if it gets out of hand, we will need to close it down - no offense intended.

IMO there is enough "evidence" that suggests that *some* designs are more susceptible to design orientated cracks when the combo is opened via a corner & not the centre of the tablet. That said, some users are more "accident prone" than others.

The threads that make me mad are the ones where folks admit the breakage is their fault but expect the retailer or Asus to bail them out - often by essentially defrauding either the retailer or Asus.
    leeshor and mrg9999 like this.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    15 times
    The many similar topics irritate me as well as the OP. Especially if they cover half the active topics.

One possibility to prevent this would be to merge the topics and limit it to two topics. One for accidental user inflicted damage, and one for design oriented damage.
    sculptedstylus likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    5 times
    Just a quick sharing of my pain. This might help some of you feel better about your "accidents". I have a iPhone 4S with Zagg lens shield and an Encase thin plastic slide over cover.

I left work with my arms full of stuff and placed my iPhone on the roof of my car and proceeded to get in and drive off. I was about 2 miles away looking for my iPhone when I heard a load clatter from the rear of my car. At that time it dawned on me that I had left it on the roof and at 55 mph it fell off into the traffic lane. I quickly pulled over and parked the car, but on Friday evening on that road with 2 lanes in each direction, it took me about 5 minutes to get to the center concrete median and weight for an opening to retrieve my iPhone. While standing there I watched at least another 20 to 30 cars run over my iPhone at 55 mph. While standing there I was thinking that it's off to AT&T for a new one as I was leaving the next morning for FL to a week long convention. I finally got an opening and ran out, picked it up and then over to the shoulder of the road. I hit the on button and the main screen came on and I swiped it to open it up. All was perfectly fine and not on scratch on the face with the Zagg cover and only one small corner grind mark on the Encase cover.

That was the worst thing standing there watching cars running over the iPhone with the screen up.

So even with the best intentions, accidents happen and I had no one to blame but myself.

In this case I was very lucky; next time probably not so lucky. I did buy the extended warranty to cover my stupid moments on the TF700 just in case I have another old timers lapse in memory…
    sculptedstylus and Zoomer like this.

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    904 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Lockwood View Post
    Just a quick sharing of my pain. This might help some of you feel better about your "accidents". I have a iPhone 4S with Zagg lens shield and an Encase thin plastic slide over cover.

I left work with my arms full of stuff and placed my iPhone on the roof of my car and proceeded to get in and drive off. I was about 2 miles away looking for my iPhone when I heard a load clatter from the rear of my car. At that time it dawned on me that I had left it on the roof and at 55 mph it fell off into the traffic lane. I quickly pulled over and parked the car, but on Friday evening on that road with 2 lanes in each direction, it took me about 5 minutes to get to the center concrete median and weight for an opening to retrieve my iPhone. While standing there I watched at least another 20 to 30 cars run over my iPhone at 55 mph. While standing there I was thinking that it's off to AT&T for a new one as I was leaving the next morning for FL to a week long convention. I finally got an opening and ran out, picked it up and then over to the shoulder of the road. I hit the on button and the main screen came on and I swiped it to open it up. All was perfectly fine and not on scratch on the face with the Zagg cover and only one small corner grind mark on the Encase cover.

That was the worst thing standing there watching cars running over the iPhone with the screen up.

So even with the best intentions, accidents happen and I had no one to blame but myself.

In this case I was very lucky; next time probably not so lucky. I did buy the extended warranty to cover my stupid moments on the TF700 just in case I have another old timers lapse in memory…
    Except for those nasty sadists among us, we all like a happy ending...
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    4 times
    If there was enough evidence of a major design fault, and enough respondents, the yanks would start a class action.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    10 times
    I only hope for your sake thou never have that problem.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    1 times
    I dropped my Blackberry plenty of times as a cyclist - I had a Curve 8520, which is basically a giant dumbphone with WiFi. It survived every time, probably because it was so cheap that the everything on the phone could just flex instead of snapping, denting or breaking. Dropped my Wildfire S onto solid tiles once, and it survived. My Nexus hasn't been roughed up anywhere near as much, though it has fallen down the side of my (loft) bed - I fell asleep watching a movie - and despite no doubt hitting the frame of the bed and possibly the wardrobe on the way down it fared perfectly fine.

A tablet would no doubt not survive any of those drops, but I can't imagine a situation where you're using a tablet over a concrete or tiled floor unless you have floors like that in your house/school/workplace.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links