Thread: Time for Android on PC?

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    74 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    The major major major problem of android migrating to the desktop environment is the user interface. Android was created for the purposes of touchscreen operation. Most of us like to use our desktop at at least an arm's length. Very impractical to reach out and touch the screen every time you want to navigate.

They will have to do an overhaul of the user interface on this one.

That said, I wouldn't mind having android on my desktop.
    I think it could work pretty much how it is now for tablets, i like the big buttons etc

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    bf will probably know this... when/why did Linux branch off from Unix?

(I thought the Mac OSs were variants of Unix, hence their memory & hardware efficiency)
    Just noticed this, so I'll respond now. Linux technically never branched off from Unix. It was developed by Linus Torvalds around 1991, he only really developed the kernel, most of the rest came from the GNU (GNU's not UNIX, weird acronym) project. It was made to be very similar to Unix, but open source and free (UNIX was quite expensive at the time and I'm sure still is). Mac OS is technically not Linux or a branch of it, or it would be required to be kept open source. It is actually branched off of the BSD (Berkeley Software Distribution) operating system developed at Berkley University. Still a rip off though, not really an innovation, I think it even still says something about BSD Berkeley on the start up splash screen...
    Last edited by bfmetcalf; 09-24-2012 at 02:14 PM.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    8 times
    We dont need a desktop, android needs to just give tablets a full experience meaning a full browser one that can watch any format of video or any website like they could on a desktop. It needs to be able to control a music library and be able to sync your music library with your android phone, right now we have to use a mac or pc just to sync music between android phones and tablets. They need to be self reliant not needing a mac or pc to do certain things.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    Google Play Music can sync your music as long as you're ok with the cloud, it works really well and can store up to 20,000 songs free.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    4 times
    Chrome OS and Android are technically and philosophically quite different under the hood, even though they satisfy similar goals and have similar looks and feels.

I would say that by far Android has been the more successful of the two.

I would like to see Android continue to be the OS of choice for mobile devices including tablets, and for it to continue to become more friendly towards peripherals such as keyboards, mice, and external storage.

As for PC, I would like to see the ability to run Android apps on existing computers running Windows, Mac or Linux. This could be accomplished through the use of a virtual machine which might be called the "Android Player for Windows, Mac and Linux" and could be made to be very smooth and seamless, and integrate access to the Google Play market. It wouldn't be running Android on your PC, it'd be running Android *apps* on your PC, so it would be nothing like existing Android emulators or x86 builds of Android which are slow and cumbersome and feel like they are limited to a box. It would be more like running any app with a given toolkit and interpreter. They would behave like native PC apps in the sense of running in separate processes with separate windows on the taskbar, etc, but the apps themselves would look and behave as they do on Android and to the app, it would seem like it WAS running on Android.

Anyway, that's what I reckon. I think Google, however, is too busy concentrating on their Chrome web store which does the same sort of thing but with a totally separate store and app format.
    wommaster likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AceStar View Post
    Chrome OS and Android are technically and philosophically quite different under the hood, even though they satisfy similar goals and have similar looks and feels.

I would say that by far Android has been the more successful of the two.

I would like to see Android continue to be the OS of choice for mobile devices including tablets, and for it to continue to become more friendly towards peripherals such as keyboards, mice, and external storage.

As for PC, I would like to see the ability to run Android apps on existing computers running Windows, Mac or Linux. This could be accomplished through the use of a virtual machine which might be called the "Android Player for Windows, Mac and Linux" and could be made to be very smooth and seamless, and integrate access to the Google Play market. It wouldn't be running Android on your PC, it'd be running Android *apps* on your PC, so it would be nothing like existing Android emulators or x86 builds of Android which are slow and cumbersome and feel like they are limited to a box. It would be more like running any app with a given toolkit and interpreter. They would behave like native PC apps in the sense of running in separate processes with separate windows on the taskbar, etc, but the apps themselves would look and behave as they do on Android and to the app, it would seem like it WAS running on Android.

Anyway, that's what I reckon. I think Google, however, is too busy concentrating on their Chrome web store which does the same sort of thing but with a totally separate store and app format.
    This. What we need is running our apps (and accessing our contents) on existing android devices on our PC. We don't really need the Android OS itself since there are more mature and fitting OSes out there.
    What Android needs to become a widely accepted PC operating system? Productivity stuffs.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    4 times
    OMG.

AMD have just launched an Android app player for Windows which integrates with the Google Play market, just as I had described!

AMD Re-Launches BlueStacks As The AMD AppZone, Complete With Google Play And Amazon Appstore Compatibility

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links