Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Time for Android on PC?

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    Linux isnt about user friendly any more than android. Its about customization and transperancy (Ubuntu isn't a great view of the true Linux world). Linux has many different desktop environments if you even want to use one, I just use a window manager and a bunch of custom shortcuts, I can fly around it. The best, although most technical distros in my opinion are the ones like archlinux that dump you in a CLI prompt after installation and let YOU set it up from scratch. Android is still missing that in my opinion, it is very customizable but nowhere near a good Linux distro.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    74 times
    but no one would want android if they had to type everything into a terminal, people want simplicity but also customization and android has a good mixture of both

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    392 times
    Very very true. I am a bit biased as I would much rather use command line than any GUI option, it let's me know what is happening and allows me to keep control that no GUI allows. I agree with you that Linux needs more polish than it has to gain support, but being what it is, that will be somewhat unfeasable, I do think as people get more and more digital, which is happening, you will see Linux being adopted more often, as well as android. I really enjoy the fact that android and Ubuntu are in the spotlight as much as they are, it is giving a lot more attention to Linux than it has ever had, which in turn will drive innovation more than any proprietary operating system ever will. I personnaly see open source driving future innovation to its limits simply because of the massive community support and virtually unlimited resources.
    TF101! - Running Domination built on my beautiful ArchLinux box!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - Stock Sadly...
    Custom Built Desktop - Intel I7 w/ Windows7 & ArchLinux Dual boot - Go LINUX!
    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Great Help Guide Here -> Frederucos Fantastical Forum Favorites
    And Here -> Master Help Guide

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    74 times
    Yes android is gaining it attention, but i bet 50% of android users dont even know they are running linux, and I bet most mac users dont know that they are being charged for linux :P

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2827 times
    bf will probably know this... when/why did Linux branch off from Unix?

(I thought the Mac OSs were variants of Unix, hence their memory & hardware efficiency)

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    74 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post

(I thought the Mac OSs were variants of Unix, hence their memory & hardware efficiency)
    I know Mac is one of them

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    16 times

Re: Time for Android on PC?

Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post

Linux branched, officially, at Comdex 1993...I was there and still have one of the original disks they handed out from behind their small folding banquet table in the building next to the Convention Center in Las Vegas. Poor guys were simply overwhelmed at how popular their 'booth' turned out being.

It was a few years in the making but as I remember it came about because the corps which controlled Unix, SCO & Sun as I recall--dimly, ruled Unix with an iron fist and were like Apple is today in hammering anyone who would not pay their tithe to them. That is a quite simplistic and more than likely less that 100% accurate from someone who has been around this since the 'before times'...

It could be had prior but that was their 'coming out party'. And today, nearly 2-full decades later we are still hearing the same promises of a bright future. It's very anarchy is the ultimate reason it will only become something the general population uses if placed in a GUI wrapper they understand. In fact all GUI's came about for the same reason. But Linux lacked a major player to kick-start it to beyond the doors of the IT departments of the world.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2
    janner43 likes this.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    16 times

Re: Time for Android on PC?

Quote Originally Posted by phazer11 View Post
    Um Android is a subset of Linux it seems to be closely related to Debian/Ubuntu of course it's all prettied up and you don't have to ever use a command prompt to do something (but most users of Ubuntu don't either).
    OK, I must have incorrectly remembered an article discussing Chrome & Android. I remember that it mentioned a newer release of Chrome had some sort of hooks into Android which the author leading to speculation that there was planned into-operability between the two. And I thought it also mentioned how Android was spun off from Chrome as a mobile platform.

So what you are saying is they were both totally separate projects from Google? Seems reasonable...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - iOS
    Liked
    0 times
    A very interesting outlook and though one that would seem absurd in this day and age, I would not be surprised if this is exactly how things are going to follow suit in the coming years.

Though might be something taboo to talk about in here, the slow merge of tablets to computers have been really evident in almost any implementations, and more recently so with apple products.

Surely, something must budge and it would not be going in favour of the PC is you ask me.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    The major major major problem of android migrating to the desktop environment is the user interface. Android was created for the purposes of touchscreen operation. Most of us like to use our desktop at at least an arm's length. Very impractical to reach out and touch the screen every time you want to navigate.

They will have to do an overhaul of the user interface on this one.

That said, I wouldn't mind having android on my desktop.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links