Thread: Check out Walmart's “Internet on the Go” Mifi

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    20 times

Re: Check out Walmart's “Internet on the Go” Mifi

If you can tether/ hotspot using your cell phone then do not get the mifi unless you have to or your cell battery dies too quick. If you do not have cell tethering in your contract it is possible for them to detect what you are doing. If you have a phone that can do it then get a plan that allows hotspots.
    Last edited by WVUTampaAlum; 10-16-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    I have tmo unlimited cell plan so it works great with 4g speed.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    111 times
    Hi:

I found the Internet on the go device on the Walmart web page for $79.99 with the plans that don't expire but there is no coverage in San Francisco. On to tethering.

Tom
    32gb Transformer 101 & 201 with dock
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Palm T/X
    eee 1215 netbook
    Nexus 7 32gb

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    From having looked at Sprint's coverage map I think what they told you at the store may be misleading. It appears that despite the 97% coverage statement that it may not cover roaming areas, where a phone would. That would explain why some people are saying they don't have coverage even in a metro area. But, I could be wrong.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    51 times
    It looks like it may be an issue with walmart's zipcode check online. I entered about 20 different zips from major cities (LA, NY, Atlanta, Dallas, Denver, Miami) and all came back with no support. From their Q&A page it seems others have that not only with this device but other cellular devices too (phones and other mifi devices). Someone provided this website as the place to check zips instead:

http://internet-go.com/coverage/

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    689 times
    Quote Originally Posted by thenrik View Post
    Hi:

I found the Internet on the go device on the Walmart web page for $79.99 with the plans that don't expire but there is no coverage in San Francisco. On to tethering.

Tom
    The other day I was in Palo Alto on the Stanford University campus (which is about 30 miles from San Francisco) and the Walmart device worked flawlessly there. Maybe if you are in the heart of the City amidst the tall buildings it may not get coverage. I know when I'm driving in Frisco trying to use my Tom Tom for directions it's hard to get a GPS signal. But at least for me, wherever I've been, from my travels throughout Oregon and California, if a restaurant or whatever didn't have WiFi, my little MiFi device always came through with a signal.

When it comes to tethering I'm trying to avoid that because I'm on a very cheap data plan for my iPhone with At&t at $15/mo. This MiFi device is saving me from having to get a more expensive monthly plan for my iPhone. Many of you guys/gals don't worry about huge monthly phone bills and think nothing about them. But once you retire many will have to start pinching pennies. So this MiFi device is keeping the costs down both for my iPhone and my Infinity.
    Last edited by mrumm49; 10-19-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    111 times
    Hi:

The device may indeed work in San Francisco but inputting zip codes all over the city on Walmart's web page, came up with this device won't work in your area. I have a Sprint phone and don't understand why the mifi device won't work. Perhaps I'll call Walmart.

Tom
    32gb Transformer 101 & 201 with dock
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Palm T/X
    eee 1215 netbook
    Nexus 7 32gb

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sculptedstylus View Post
    Just curious, is there a big advantage of using MiFi rather than tethering to a smart phone?
    Reasonable question.

A friend wrestled with this, as a Mifi meant "another gadget to carry, another account with the wireless provider". Then she realized that her brother's new phone (HTV ONE V) was wireless hotspot capable. Gave it a spin connecting to her tablet, and Bob's your uncle! Thus, all she needed to do was update to a wireless hot spot phone. Not sure if this falls into the category of "Tethering", but it works right out of the box. Can't compare data plans between here and the US, but since she already had data as part of her smartphone plan, and was ready for a new phone, it was just a matter of slipping her SIM into the new phone.

I would add that wireless service in the EU tends to be dramatically less expensive than the US, so what works here on a cost basis, may not in the States.
    Last edited by Aviator47; 10-23-2012 at 03:37 AM.

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    904 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator47 View Post
    Reasonable question.

A friend wrestled with this, as a Mifi meant "another gadget to carry, another account with the wireless provider". Then she realized that her brother's new phone (HTV ONE V) was wireless hotspot capable. Gave it a spin connecting to her tablet, and Bob's your uncle! Thus, all she needed to do was update to a wireless hot spot phone. Not sure if this falls into the category of "Tethering", but it works right out of the box. Can't compare data plans between here and the US, but since she already had data as part of her smartphone plan, and was ready for a new phone, it was just a matter of slipping her SIM into the new phone.

I would add that wireless service in the EU tends to be dramatically less expensive than the US, so what works here on a cost basis, may not in the States.
    With a third party app like FoxFi, you can tether to phone without any extra charge to your data plan. I do this with my current phone, the Razr Maxx. With my previous phone, the DroidX, I could tether via Bluetooth, also with no additional charge.
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Go Bigger is a really nice tariff.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links