Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Check out Walmart's “Internet on the Go” Mifi

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    8 times
    You might try plugging the Transformer into the Powerbank, and then performing a complete shutdown on the Transformer. (It's important to plug in before shutdown, because plugging into power after shutdown will trigger power-on and boot)

Plug everything up, then press and hold the power button for about 5sec. It'll ask if you want to shutdown and power off. Tap OK and a few moments later it'll be completely off, not simply asleep. It'll probably still trickle-charge, but it won't even do that when it's on and asleep.

All of the Transformer devices require relatively large amounts of current to charge when powered up (even when sleeping). Most charge packs cannot supply the 2.1A required at 5V (and you can't get that from USB2.0 either), and I have yet to see one which can supply 1.2A @ 12V or 1.1A @ 15V, both of which the standard AC charger supplies quite well (if a bit hot at full draw). My wife's iPad2 can easily charge from a standard USB2.0 port, but my TF cannot without performing a full shutdown, and then it takes nearly 24 hours for a full charge.

I have seen several car charger plugs which should do the trick. Every car can easily supply 1.2A @ 12V, and if the charger is designed properly, 1.1A @ 15V shouldn't be a problem since most power sockets supply at least 25A @ 12V, so a buck/boost-type converter should easily supply the required current and voltage.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by red_five View Post
    You might try plugging the Transformer into the Powerbank, and then performing a complete shutdown on the Transformer. (It's important to plug in before shutdown, because plugging into power after shutdown will trigger power-on and boot)

Plug everything up, then press and hold the power button for about 5sec. It'll ask if you want to shutdown and power off. Tap OK and a few moments later it'll be completely off, not simply asleep. It'll probably still trickle-charge, but it won't even do that when it's on and asleep.

All of the Transformer devices require relatively large amounts of current to charge when powered up (even when sleeping). Most charge packs cannot supply the 2.1A required at 5V (and you can't get that from USB2.0 either), and I have yet to see one which can supply 1.2A @ 12V or 1.1A @ 15V, both of which the standard AC charger supplies quite well (if a bit hot at full draw). My wife's iPad2 can easily charge from a standard USB2.0 port, but my TF cannot without performing a full shutdown, and then it takes nearly 24 hours for a full charge.

I have seen several car charger plugs which should do the trick. Every car can easily supply 1.2A @ 12V, and if the charger is designed properly, 1.1A @ 15V shouldn't be a problem since most power sockets supply at least 25A @ 12V, so a buck/boost-type converter should easily supply the required current and voltage.
    Thank you. No luck, I'm afraid.
    I attached the Powerbank to the Asus and turned it on and the blue lights came on (the Asus didn't turn on) and then the lights turned off. So I guess I have to give up trying to use this Universal Powerbank as a charger for the Asus. I just thought I could get something smaller than the Asus keyboard ("docking station") to use as a charger.

(P.S. I checked and the Powebank was fully charged. I thought at first that it might be low in power, and that is why it was turning off.)

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alicez View Post
    Thank you. No luck, I'm afraid.
    I attached the Powerbank to the Asus and turned it on and the blue lights came on (the Asus didn't turn on) and then the lights turned off. So I guess I have to give up trying to use this Universal Powerbank as a charger for the Asus. I just thought I could get something smaller than the Asus keyboard ("docking station") to use as a charger.

(P.S. I checked and the Powebank was fully charged. I thought at first that it might be low in power, and that is why it was turning off.)
    As I have said before.
    1. USB standard is 5 volts at 1 or 2.1 amps. Its not about USB 1-2-3 as that mainly addresses data transfer speed and somewhat power current in amps but not 15 volts.
    2 the Asus charger delivers 15 volts at 1.3 amps or 5 volts at 2.0 amps. Depending on if a "standard device ie phone or ipad" is plugged in or an Asus tablet. The Asus USB cable uses a non standard wire configuration to pass 15 volts.
    3 the asus charger power supply will charge any device, but no other devices charger will charge the Asus tablet except very slowly at 5 volts.
    4. The regular cigarette lighter car chargers ( that you can buy anywhere) pass 5 volts at 2.1 or 1.1 amps. never 12 volts - never ever. They contain a resister circuit to drop the 12 volts of the car to 5 volts. The Asus car chargers work because they pass 12 volts when the engine is off, or 13.8 volts when the engine is running.
    5. The Asus tablets charge OK from about 11 volts to 15 volts but prefer the uppper end.
    6. You can power the Asus from a 12 volt portable source, but you have to make a cable to do it.
    7. There is just no 12 volt USB port battery packs as that is not a standard USB configuration and if it did exist ( which it does not) it would damage any standard USB device plugged into it.
    8. You can piece together what you want, but you probably can't buy what you want as a complete out of the box solution. Unless it specifically says external battery pack for Asus transformer and includes the cord.
    If you need and must have a USB chargeable tablet that can charge from about any USB battery pack, get an iPad mini or something like a Samsung note. Asus opted for a non standard configuration to speed charging. Its a tradeoff that I don't particularly like as one huge advantage of the iPad line is not needing specific chargers and they all charge fine in a few hours anyway.

Sent via electron magic. My opinion is my opinion and any solutions or ideas probably have a hundred ways to arrive at the same result. Unless you pay someone to provide the right answer, you get what you get. Free advice is often worth what you paid for it.
    Tor and anykey like this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    0 times
    I have unlimited data on my cell phone plan so, I just connect with bluetooth.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    98 times
    Alice- The Universal Powerbank has a 2000 mA output at 12V, which is far too little for the Transformer. I offered you a solution several months ago : Asus portable battery charger

Did you give it a try? That Anker would also power your other USB 5v devices.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    I was wondering if someone could tell me how I would be able to tell if my OnTheGo unit is fully charged? Yesterday I got the flashing red light and then I turned the unit off and plugged it into wall outlet. The power light then tuned solid green; in a few seconds it changed to what looked like red/green to me. Maybe that is the "amber" they refer to in booklet when they say "Amber light means charging."
    I left it plugged in for four hours but the light didn't change. I thought it would change to solid green when it was fully charged. One of my neighbors said her son has one also and she doesn't think you can tell when it is fully charged unless you open a browser while using the OTG and go to a website and that will tell you how much power is left in your OTG battery.
    Does anyone know for sure how to tell if battery is fully charged, or how much power is left?
    Thanks for any help.

P.S. I charged the battery for 5 hours yesterday and today it appears that it is only 1/2 full when I look at the site 192.168... page, which was given to me by my neighbor to allow me to check my OTG information. The battery icon only shows two bars (our of 4 I believe). Is anyone else having problem with battery life on this OTG? As I said I charged it for 5 hours yesterday and when I look at battery icon, it shows only 2 bars. I phoned OTG and then said to charge it again for 4 hours. I plugged it in a few minutes ago and only the green light is showing, not the "amber" light. Very confusing indeed.
    Last edited by alicez; 10-23-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Can anyone offer an answer to my above question?

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alicez View Post
    Can anyone offer an answer to my above question?
    Run it all the way down and then charge it overnight. Then check it.

Sent via electron magic. My opinion is my opinion and any solutions or ideas probably have a hundred ways to arrive at the same result. Unless you pay someone to provide the right answer, you get what you get. Free advice is often worth what you paid for it.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    0 times
    This is a bit late, but there is an app in the Play Store called "mHotspot Monitor" that can put an icon in the notification area with the mifi battery status. To set it up for the mifi, go to settings and choose "Router" and select the proper option for your mifi. I have the "Internet On The Go" mifi and I chose the option that has "Verizon/Novatel Mifi" stuff in it. Then choose "Notification Option" and check "Battery Level." "Notification Interval" lets you decide how often to check the status (I wish there was a 30 second option...) Finally, in the main app, choose "Start Notification" to start the notifications. Oh, in the settings, you can tell it to start automatically at boot, too.

It seems to work pretty well.

Banned
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    Would only need a little pay-as-you-go strategy for those few events when I am out of wireless variety. I do really appreciate for the heads up.
    custom website design
    Last edited by Jasonolive; 03-01-2014 at 12:39 AM.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links