Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    718 times

Check out Walmart's “Internet on the Go” Mifi

Lately it seems, more and more places that I've been going to (restaurants, Doctor's office, DMV, my work, etc. etc.) do NOT have Wifi. I just bought the Wifi only Infinity a few weeks ago and it has now replaced my beloved TF101 as my traveling companion. What I don't like about most Mifi devices and their plans is that most of the data would probably not get used up by me within the usual 30 day contract. Heck, I have the 200mg (15.00/mo) plan on my iPhone and I usually have about 50mg still leftover each month. So I obviously don't need much 3G but it's nice when wifi isn't available.

I've hesitated getting a United States coverage Mifi device, knowing that I would probably use the Mifi data only in those rare occasions where there is no Wifi available. Most of the data would be wasted. However, the other day I was snooping around the electronics department at Walmart and saw their Mifi device called "Internet On The Go". The Mifi device itself was selling for $99 (cheaper than online where it is $119). Forgive me if I'm not upto snuff on the other mifi plans out there, but the Walmart plan that goes along with their device is just what I am looking for. There is no monthly fee and the data you buy NEVER expires as long as you log onto it at least once a year. (Well, I guess it would eventually expire each year you log on, but technically it could sure last a long time!)

The Data for example: $10 for 100MB, $25 for 500MB, $45 for 1 GB may seem a little pricey. However, it doesn't expire after 30 days but only until after you use every drop of it and at YOUR own pace instead of theirs. I think this is great for the casual user like me! I have all my music on my 64GB micro, and movies (thanks to DVD Catalyst), so I don't need to stream any of that stuff while using the Mifi and actually survive a long time before I would need to buy another refill.

I went ahead and purchased the Walmart Mifi device and 500 MB to start me off. This should last me a long time. My question is are there other Mifi devices with this style of plan that's even better, so I can have buyer remorse? But for now, until someone upsets my applecart here, I think this is a pretty good idea for the casual 'out and about' Wifi only Transformer user.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    58 times
    Well, I'll have to start checking the local Walmart to see if this hits Canada. I, like you, would only need a small pay-as-you-go plan for those few occasions when I am out of wifi range. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be interested in the responses to this thread.
    Happy owner of a TF300T

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    718 times
    Here is some updated news I just received about Walmart's Data plans for their MiFi Device. Walmart's MiFi device called "Internet on the Go" is starting to get better and better. Granted it is just a 3G device but it has performed very good for me while out and about when there is no WiFi available.

"Internet on the Go" has just sent me an email informing me of their new updated cheaper plans. They still have the data that never expires. That's the one where you use your data when YOU need it and you won't lose any of it. You keep it until the data is used up by you. That data option is known as 'Go Big' and has much lower pricing now:

Go Big - Use Whenever plan (Data doesn't expire - you use it at your own pace)

$10 / 500MB
    $25 / 1.5GB
    $45 / 4GB

And the new additional Data plan that has been added is more like the traditional plans of other carriers known as Go Bigger:

Go Bigger - 30-Day plan (You will lose it if you don't use it)
    $10 / 1GB
    $25 / 3GB
    $45 / 8GB

For me I will continue to use the 'Go Big' plan. I bought this MiFi device back in August and bought 500 MBs to start me off. It is now October and I still have 300MBs left from my initial purchase. At this rate it will still take me a few more months to use up this Data since there is free WiFi available most of the time. But for those who need lots of Data all the time, now there is the option to get more data through the 30 day 'Go Bigger' plan.

So far this MiFi device has worked very good with my Infinity. I always pick up a very strong signal when I'm out and about in the city. I haven't tried it up in any mountains or other remote areas. I take my Infinity with me everywhere I go, and thus far the Walmart MiFi hasn't failed me yet when I've needed a WiFi signal.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    58 times
    I still haven't seen it here in the Walmart, but this stuff takes longer to reach the boonies.
    Happy owner of a TF300T

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    51 times
    Bummer. "Warning:This phone will not work in the 01605 Zip Code"
    iMac 21.5" 2011 12GB OSX 10.9.5, Asus V5-131 8GB Win7, Asus 1015E 2GB Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
    TF101 32GB JB 4.4.4 KatKiss-KitKat 33 KatApp 1.5.3 LMT 2.1 TWRP 2.8.0.2 Recovery

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Mrumm: you turn cell setting to wifi only ? I have T300 tablet which is wifi only,, don't think this device would help me with tablet. ? I am a newbie....lots to learn. Want to learn how to have movies for travelling. Or at least rent andwatch on tv perhaps.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    20 times

Re: Check out Walmart's “Internet on the Go” Mifi

A mifi is simply a wifi hotspot device. It is perfect for tablets with wifi only. I picked up a tmobile no contract hotspot early Sept from Walmart and it is working excellant. They offer 60 day /carry over for $35 up plans. I saw the Walmart one but did not want it because it runs on sprint and sprint connection where I live is terrible.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    718 times
    Quote Originally Posted by npad View Post
    Mrumm: you turn cell setting to wifi only ? I have T300 tablet which is wifi only,, don't think this device would help me with tablet. ? I am a newbie....lots to learn. Want to learn how to have movies for travelling. Or at least rent andwatch on tv perhaps.
    This MiFi device would work just fine on your 300. WVUTampaAlum is correct, the Walmart device runs on the Sprint network. I was told by Walmart that the Sprint nationwide network covers 97 percent of the U.S. and at least here in California I always get a strong signal. I like the idea when you buy the data and if it takes you 100 years to use it you don't lose it. The only stipulation is you have to log on at least once a year to show that your account is still active. Like I said above, I bought just 500 MGs to get me started 2 months ago. Who knows? With all the free WiFi available when I'm out in coffee shops, restaurants, etc. that initial 500 MGs could still last me a long time. That's what I like about this deal from Walmart. Use it at your own pace, not theirs.

When it comes to watching and streaming video all the time that can use data pretty quickly. That is when the 30 day plans might be better. Maybe WVUTampaAlum's 60 day carry over plan he talked about might be better. But for the casual user like me for emailing, web surfing, and coming here to our Transformer forums, I feel the Walmart MiFi is an all around pretty good deal.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    834 times
    Just curious, is there a big advantage of using MiFi rather than tethering to a smart phone?
    Asus Eee Pad TF101; Samsung Galaxy S4; Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition; Galaxy Note 8

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    9 times
    I typed in my zip code in Los Angeles, and it doesn't even work here?
    Steve M
    Asus Transformer Prime TF201
    Samsung Galaxy S III

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads