Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times

Buying first tablet -- advice for pdf reading

Hi Everyone -

I am looking into buying my first tablet. I mainly want to use it to read very large pdfs --- 100-300Mb.
    Maybe a movie on an airplane ride, but mainly reading.

So which would be a best option:
    Tf300 vs Prime vs Infinity

Does the increase in CPU speed make a difference in loading pdfs? Or is that more of a RAM issue?
    Would the increase in pixels make that much of a difference in reading pdfs?

Thank you all!

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    31 times
    I am not sure which tablet is better but iannotate is a good reader, can open multiple tabs of pdf's like a browser!

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2275 times
    Welcome edmund

I'm not sure if any android tablet is going to do a great job of 300mb pdfs from what I have read here.

Smaller, average sized ones, yes, but these seem huge.

Careful research would seem to be indicated as the major use of your prospective device is so specific.

Oh, one final thought. The infinity has a high def screen as does the acer a700, but they both stay with the same 1gb ram as on previous android tablets. When apple released "the new ipad", they doubled the ram from 512mb to 1gb to handle the requirements of the retina screen. Given that the ipad2 performance was not troubled by 512mb ram, the increase would seem to be needed. I wonder why the newer hd android tablets haven't gone to 2gb ram...
    Last edited by janner43; 07-22-2012 at 01:56 AM.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    2 times
    300mb! wow!
    don't forget to chose a light one! my tf101 is not best thing for reading...
    Currently my favorite game: Robotek

I really want to learn a programming language, what I have to do?!!!

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    31 times
    If you're mainly interested in reading, the display dimensions of the iPad might be more appealing than a wider screened tablet. It's more similar to a sheet of paper, and holding it in portrait is much more natural than any android tablet I've owned.

I've read books on both, and had a better experience on the iPad..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    67 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Welcome edmund

I'm not sure if any android tablet is going to do a great job of 300mb pdfs from what I have read here.

Smaller, average sized ones, yes, but these seem huge.

Careful research would seem to be indicated as the major use of your prospective device is so specific.

Oh, one final thought. The infinity has a high def screen as does the acer a700, but they both stay with the same 1gb ram as on previous android tablets. When apple released "the new ipad", they doubled the ram from 512mb to 1gb to handle the requirements of the retina screen. Given that the ipad2 performance was not troubled by 512mb ram, the increase would seem to be needed. I wonder why the newer hd android tablets haven't gone to 2gb ram...
    ipad 2 beats my tf101 on pdf reading on ALL apps except for epzdf, me and my friend compared the same pdf document, the features was pretty much the same on ezpdf vs iannotate, except for multiple pdf reading.

His ipad 2 won based on that I got a forceclose (...android) and my pdf lagged behind abit.

someone with infitity (clocked at 1.6 gz so it is faster than prime ) will have to tell me how the new iannotate works on their device

B60 TF101 16gb WW version. Never rooted.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2275 times
    Anarox - weren't you the one with the very large pdfs that you had trouble with?

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    67 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Anarox - weren't you the one with the very large pdfs that you had trouble with?
    After I deleted the ezpdf folder and uninstalling the app , it worked out pretty great. There is some kind of error with ezpdf, when it holds too much data (annotions and whole books) the whole app gets slowed down. It's a temporary fix

B60 TF101 16gb WW version. Never rooted.
    Last edited by anarox; 07-22-2012 at 12:12 PM.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    75 times
    The Asus MyLibrary app works the best for me reading PDFs. Smooth and hardware accelerated. I have only tried small PDFs though. These are the apps I tried.
    Tablet: Asus TF101 B9O 16 GB + 32 GB microSD | SOC: 1.4 GHz Tegra 2 | OS: Team EOS 4 JB 4.2.2 (latest nightly) | Kernel: KAT 103 | Dock: B7O
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250 16 GB | SOC: 1.2 GHz OMAP4 | OS: stock JB 4.1.2 (JZO54K)
    Laptop: Dell XPS 1340 | CPU: Core 2 Duo P8600 w/ 4GB DDR3 dual-channel | OS: Win7 Pro | Other: copper mod

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching Tablets
    Liked
    0 times
    wow. thank you all!

In regards to the iPad... I agree, the size might be a little better, but having owned so much Apple stuff, Im ready to move away from this limited ecosystem. The widgets seem like they might be useful.

After looking at everything I think it is the RAM that limited the pdf loading speed -- which is the same for all the tablets. Then we look at the screen resolution -- Im not sure paying extra for the retina display (or near retina) on the Infinity/iPad would be worth it. Ive read some stuff on the Prime I got it is seems fine.

** and it looks like the largest pdf size Ill be using REGULARLY is only 130mb.

Im thinking Ill just save a few bucks and go with the tf300t --- after all ... this will all be outdated next year!

One more question --- EzPDF is great --- but how can I get my pdf to invert the colors -- so it is white text on black paper? Night mode doesnt do it...
    Last edited by edmund; 07-22-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ads