Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Asus MeMo 370T

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Asus MeMo 370T

Now that the Nexus has come out I was just wondering if Asus was still coming out with the Memo 370T? I really like the looks, specs and the price for the Nexus but it does not even have a mini card slot and I read that the Memo will. This added feature would be very important to me. Thanks----

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1546 times
    It would appear that the MeMo morphed into a Nexus. I think a MeMo won't see the light of day with that name.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 2.X
    Liked
    17 times
    yep, looks like the memo is gone gone gone... too bad really.. i was a better idea.. micro sd card, hdmi port.. not sure why google decided to do away with the ports prob in a effort to push the Google Play store ecosystem.. but i would buy a memo in a second.. a nexus 7 as it stands now.. not so sure..
    but some other stuff might be in the pipe line soon... we will see..

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    I would be quite surprised if Asus did not re-brand the Nexus under one of their own trademarks, and re-sell it-- perhaps at a slightly higher price-point, but with the missing features.

I'd cheerfully buy a Nexus 16g, if it had an SD slot (or a microSD--either way). I'd even settle for the ability to use a USB thumb drive out the miniUSB port... I've see splitter "power+data" cables here and there, so it should have been possible to have your charger and your USB host too.

But apparently the scuttlebut is, that for the Nexus at least, USB hosting is missing for mass storage ...
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1015 times
    Yes the 370T became the Google Nexus... I think I saw Memo 370T listed on the Nexus 7 guide [ Available in the Play / books ]

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    What a shame!!!!

As nice as it is, they have turned the Nexus/Memo into just another jazzed up media consumption device (like the Kindle Fire or Nook) that was invented to tie people to a particular company.

I want a 7 inch tablet that would have everything that the Nexus has plus a card slot and the ability to read many formats like I understand that the Archos 7 inch tablet does . That way I could put my own entertainment on my own card and not have to rely on Wi Fi/Cloud all the time. After all WiFi is a "iffy" thing especially for those folks who live out in the country where internet reception is almost non- exsistint.

If you build it---they will buy!!!!!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 2.X
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sewnutone View Post
    Now that the Nexus has come out I was just wondering if Asus was still coming out with the Memo 370T? I really like the looks, specs and the price for the Nexus but it does not even have a mini card slot and I read that the Memo will. This added feature would be very important to me. Thanks----
    G'morning,

Interesting question ... The issue is clouded by the simple fact that Google has leaned on ASUS with sacks-full of money so as to be able to short-cut the process of marketing a 7 inch tablet for themselves.

One of several short term affects of this decision is that the Google Nexus 7 product has no rear camera at all. This, despite the fact that one of the strongest trends in the 'tablet' market is proving to be that of 'photography with tablets'.

Google anticipated the outcry on this topic and chose to 'fix' that argument by handing out 'free' NEXUS 7 devices at the Google I/O.

Result ... hundreds of so called 'journalists' have been writing articles asking ... "Who needs a camera in a tablet anyway?"

Well ... my answer to that is ... "Pretty well everyone."

So, back to your question ....

ASUS has 'apparently' laid down to the blandishments of Mammon/Google - and with that - ASUS might appear to have given up on the opportunity to market the ASUS MeMo 370T for themselves.

My sincere hope is that that is NOT TRUE. I believe the marketers at ASUS are too clever to have fallen for that.

Turn your mind, for a moment to the ASUS Padfone. This is a magnificent concept.

Imagine, for another moment, that a development of ASUS's Padfone concept would have been to include a replacement 'smartphone' device in the 'family'.

Instead of the current 'conventional' 4.3 inch device - WITH A CAMERA - it might have included the MeMo 370T - a 7 inch device instead. Arguably, the so-called deal with Google will have stopped that move in its tracks.

But ... what if ASUS decides to make a 6 inch device (yes, I did say 6 inch) that fits into the back of the Padfone.

That would put ASUS right back into the ball park ... with a really imaginative development for the Padfone ... a real hand-held 'camera/tablet in a large and growing market ... and an opportunity to market THE BEST TABLET CAMERA IN THE MARKETPLACE. WITH THE BEST SOFTWARE POSSIBLE, AND A REALLY TOP-NOTCH CAMERA LENS.

Come on ASUS ... I challenge you ... make the most of this opportunity ... and do so soon please !
    Last edited by millgate; 07-01-2012 at 05:38 AM.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    2256 times
    Moved from tf101 General

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Android device personal pantheon...
    SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Razr; CnM Touchpad II; Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Motorola Xoom 2 ME; Samsung Tab 2 7.0

Shockwave
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by millgate View Post
    G'morning,

Interesting question ... The issue is clouded by the simple fact that Google has leaned on ASUS with sacks-full of money so as to be able to short-cut the process of marketing a 7 inch tablet for themselves.

One of several short term affects of this decision is that the Google Nexus 7 product has no rear camera at all. This, despite the fact that one of the strongest trends in the 'tablet' market is proving to be that of 'photography with tablets'.

Google anticipated the outcry on this topic and chose to 'fix' that argument by handing out 'free' NEXUS 7 devices at the Google I/O.

Result ... hundreds of so called 'journalists' have been writing articles asking ... "Who needs a camera in a tablet anyway?"

Well ... my answer to that is ... "Pretty well everyone."

So, back to your question ....

ASUS has 'apparently' laid down to the blandishments of Mammon/Google - and with that - ASUS might appear to have given up on the opportunity to market the ASUS MeMo 370T for themselves.

My sincere hope is that that is NOT TRUE. I believe the marketers at ASUS are too clever to have fallen for that.

Turn your mind, for a moment to the ASUS Padfone. This is a magnificent concept.

Imagine, for another moment, that a development of ASUS's Padfone concept would have been to include a replacement 'smartphone' device in the 'family'.

Instead of the current 'conventional' 4.3 inch device - WITH A CAMERA - it might have included the MeMo 370T - a 7 inch device instead. Arguably, the so-called deal with Google will have stopped that move in its tracks.

But ... what if ASUS decides to make a 6 inch device (yes, I did say 6 inch) that fits into the back of the Padfone.

That would put ASUS right back into the ball park ... with a really imaginative development for the Padfone ... a real hand-held 'camera/tablet in a large and growing market ... and an opportunity to market THE BEST TABLET CAMERA IN THE MARKETPLACE. WITH THE BEST SOFTWARE POSSIBLE, AND A REALLY TOP-NOTCH CAMERA LENS.

Come on ASUS ... I challenge you ... make the most of this opportunity ... and do so soon please !
    Not to rain on your parade but this isn't going to happen. A 6in device is too big especially when you can just dock it into a tablet. Also, I think I read somewhere that the Memo is dead so you're probably not going to see it sold. The reason so many journalists are saying that you don't need a rear camera is because it's true, not because they got free tablets. Most tablet cameras aren't that great for a reason. I think your hopes are way too high.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Digitimes last week reported that Asus did indeed have another 7" tablet in the works in the mold of this one. I stopped caring when Asus announced that obviously a transformer keyboard on a 7" tablet was unworkable, though I can't find the rule that says you can't pair a 10" keyboard with a 7" tablet and find a clever way to make use of the empty space, like speakers that actually point towards the listener.

Yes, the 370t became the Nexus 7. No, that doesn't mean Asus won't make their own branded 7" tab apart from Google in the mold of the 370t.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ads