Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fortunz

Thread: Transformer Mini

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Transformer Mini

I've been drooling over the notion since January when the MeMo 370t was announced. It wasn't announced as a transformer mini, but Asus has been on an n+1 kick (see below, when I try to link to the video instead of embedding, it just embeds anyway ) where they try to add an extra use to their devices (tablets are also netbooks, phones are also tablets...), and with the "t" in the model name, I was hopeful.

Rumor had it the 370t was cancelled when Google approached Asus to make the Nexus 7 (expected to be officially unveiled in a few hours), however, the 370t did clear the FCC only a few weeks ago, and digitimes recently reported from suppliers that Asus had their own 7" tab they were releasing apart from Google after the Nexus, at an even lower price point. Now I don't trust digitimes or rumors in general, and Asus undercutting their Nexus 7 sounds odd, but I prefer to focus on the possibility they've still got something 370tish still cooking, and that it's a transformer mini. Once the Nexus 7 is announced, we might start to hear details about Asus' other plans in the 7" market. One more option, the latest photos from gizmodo australia seem to show 4 dots of the side of the Nexus 7, not unlike the 3 charging connection points on the Galaxy Nexus. Might this different configuration allow for more than just charging? Like an Asus-made Nexus keyboard dock? Probably not, but hope springs eternal.

Transformer Mini
    I don't want a 10" tablet. I do want a transformer. If you have a 7" transformer, some interesting opportunities open up, in addition to the cost savings. Obviously, you do not want a smaller keyboard. Same size dock is necessary, so now you have some free bezel space on the dock itself, which would be a great place to put front-facing speakers. I'll never understand why tablets are supposed to be such great media consumption devices when the speakers point away from the listener. A transformer dock for a 7" transformer has plenty of room for high end, primely placed stereo speakers. With the speakers, the dock becomes more than a keyboard, it becomes a multimedia dock. Docked, such a device would be less top heavy and more stable. While I've heard the transformer is steady on the right surfaces, I've also read it can tip on an angled lap since the weight is centered near the screen more while weight in a netbook or laptop is centered in the base, so the mini would be a touch more versatile for those accustomed to netbooks and laptops.

I'd love to have much easier to hold 7" device for media consumption, and still be able to do real data entry with a good transformer keyboard. 200+ ppi (a nice perk for readers) on a 7" device is a lot less costly than the same pixel density on a 10" device, the Prime Infinity starts at $500 while the Nexus 7 is going to start at $200. The Prime Infinity is thus a very pricey netbook alternative. A Transformer Mini would be competitive. It's not like I really think a Transformer Mini will happen, despite my requests to Asus, but if it did, is anyone else here interested?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Asus has spoken, and about more than just the Nexus 7.

Asus: Nexus 7 audio dock coming, but don't expect a Transformer-like keyboard - Pocket-lint
    Those hoping for a docking keyboard, as found on the company's Transformer range of tablets, should expect to be disappointed however. Asus has told Pocket-lint there were no plans for one telling and that the device needs to be 10-inches or more for it to work effectively.
    The idiotic notion that cannot possibly make a keyboard bigger than the device it is for has got to stop. In this case, the extra space to fill while using a normal netbook sized keyboard is a serious bonus. Front facing audio would be a treat. Imagine pointing the speakers TOWARD the listener instead of away from them. Such a novelty. The compromises of having a smaller screen would be obvious to those who might prefer this -- there are all manner of portable, single purpose word processors that are beloved by writers that have far less screen real estate than this would.

But thank you Asus for at least clearly ruling it out. Even if you do have a second non Nexus device in the wings, assuming the quote is correct, you clearly have no intention of making a transformer mini out of it.
    Bob_of_QF likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links