Thread: warning: buying tablet at best buy

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times

warning: buying tablet at best buy

A little over a month ago, i bought asus transformer prime TF300T at Best Buy in Bellevue WA. I was told by sales rep that I can be convered for "standard one year warranty" but if I extend it to a two year warranty, my protection plan will cover "any chips or anything happens to Best Buy bring it back and we'll replace it within the two years." 3 weeks ago my screen cracked andattempted toget it repaired to best buy at the geek squad. the guy there confirmed my two year warranty but I need to come back tomorrow with the cord. the next day I was told my 2 year does not cover "accidental damage" which apparently is not the same thing as the "protection plan," AND THERE ARE 5 DIFFERENT TYPES OF WARRANTY. The manager there refused to have a meeting with me, him and the sales rep who sold me the tablet, he also stated he "trained my employees well" and that I should've known that $79 warranty is not sufficient to cover accidental damages for two years. I aksed for formal complaint process and he said i can only call customer service. I was livid and left there teary. I called the customer service, waited for a while and later got transferred to Bestbuy public defender (agent Billy) who said he has no authority and that the store manager gets the last say. Later that day I filed a complaint to Attorney General. Still waiting for best buy's response.
    Yesterday, my friend mentioned she bought her kindle and was offered 2 year warranty, NEVER mentioned about accidental damage warranty.
    I love this tablet and want to continue using it for work but I was told repairing it will be as costly as the tablet itself.

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    This is one of the reasons why best buy is on its way out. You can clearly see best buy dying a slow death. First, they pulled out of Britain. Then they are closing thousands of stores everywhere. They are now telling us they are coming up with "mobile" best buy stores where those stores would be moving from place to place. Don't know how that's going to work.

Anyway, I stay away from best buy like the plague.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2827 times
    GI is right - they closed down in the UK within 18 months of opening. During that time they developed an unrivaled reputation for excruciating customer service & couldn't even deliver orders properly!!!

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2827 times
    Moved to General Discussions

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Starscream
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    I hate best buy to death. Their sales teams are absolute morons and you can't trust anything they say. I asked a few questions i already knew the answer to like what processor is in the galaxy tab 2 and they told me it had a quad core processor! They have no idea what they are doing and have done nothing but make me mad. Unfortunately that is the only place around here to buy a lot of that stuff.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
    antibb likes this.
    TF101 Transformer 32Gb

Bumblebee
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    467 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FXSarge View Post
    I hate best buy to death. Their sales teams are absolute morons and you can't trust anything they say. I asked a few questions i already knew the answer to like what processor is in the galaxy tab 2 and they told me it had a quad core processor! They have no idea what they are doing and have done nothing but make me mad. Unfortunately that is the only place around here to buy a lot of that stuff.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
    Its actually amusing to listen to them making up answers. One time I pretended like I knew nothing and asked them what makes the tablet screen respond to you. The sales dude went on and on about resistive capacity and whole strings of technical sounding words that made no sense. Sometimes you need to keep in mind that these are high school graduates.
    Auspex likes this.
    URL Removed by Jeffrey

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    As always?

If it isn't in writing, it isn't in the deal-- aftermarket warranties are all too often not worth the paper they are printed on, be it Best Buy's or any other over-the-counter sales effort.

These "warranties" are a cash-cow for them-- one of the requirements for most? Is rather hard to comply with: you must return the item in question with it's original receipt (no copies), and in it's original box, complete with all the wrapping, packing, stuffing, paperwork, tiny little pieces of tape, etc.

Who keeps these things for 3 years? And those receipts are usually printed on thermal paper-- paper that fades out within weeks, unless you keep it in the cold refrigerator.

As always, be wary of the fine print.
    antibb likes this.
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    74 times
    Its odd, in the UK they were boasting a properly educated staff rather than the unfamiliar kinds in PCWorld and currys, but perhaps its not true :/

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    51 times
    Sorry this was your experience. I'll play devil's advocate to a degree (I agree with the poorly educated sales associates) as when i purchased my TF101 last August I purchased the 1-yr black tie warranty with it for $99. Come January it cracked and wouldn't power on, I took it in (without the box, cord, and a receipt I printed from my reward zone home page). They couldn't get it to work and said they'd simply replace it. They didn't have any 101s in stock so they said I could wait or if i wanted to pay the $30 difference between the 32gb 101 (the model I had) and the 32gb 201 they just got in stock they'd give me a the 201 and transfer my coverage to it to begin as though I'd just purchased it that day. Since then I've broken two 201 screens and each time my warranty covered it and they just replaced it. I had to purchase a new warranty after each one but the $99 for the coverage was preferable to the whole RMA process and the north of $250 Asus would have charged. So even though they are on a mismanaged downward spiral into bankruptcy, so long as their doors are open, they'll have my big box business over others here who all have spotty CS and poorly educated sales associates (HH Gregg, Microcenter, Fry's) .
    Bob_of_QF likes this.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    145 times
    Obviously, you opted for a no-fault warranty-- I've purchased several of those myself, from other vendors. No fault is nice, when you can get it.

Best Buy used to offer those (black tie) in my city, but no more-- the only kind they offer these days, is your basic extend-the-factory kind, which does not cover any "customer-induced damage", an exemption which is too subject to interpretation, IMO. I will point out, though, that with the Best Buy's extended warranty, you only need to keep your receipt (or a copy--they do accept copies), and you don't need your original packing box. And if you go on-line to register? You don't even need to keep the receipt-- you just need to remember your on-line password... but it's a fix or exchange-with-new type of warranty, better in that regards to Asus' one.
    TF101 B70 series, USA running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, rooted. 64gb microSDXC, keyboard dock with 32gb microSDHC in an adapter
    Dell Streak 7 running Honeycomb 3.2, rooted. 64gb SDXC. Mainly used as a music player.
    Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider, rooted -- frequently used as WiFi hotspot. 16gb microSDHC.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links