Like Tree4Likes

Thread: warning: buying tablet at best buy

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    I bought my TF101 at best buy and my girlfriend got the Black Tie on it for 99$.
    About 3 weeks ago I brought it in to have them look at the screen and framing because it was becoming loose.
    At first the guy there tried to tell me its normal but I insisted that I have this warrentee and it had never done that so I would like it fixed or replaced. They agreed to take it and give me the value that I had paid for it, upon giving them the original reciept, and I ended up getting the TF300T and another year warrentee for only 24$. I was happy as a peach and I had no problem with the process, however when I brought my TF101 in prior for paint peeling for some reason they said the coverage does not to cosmetic, only functional problems so I guess take it with a grain of salt.
    Although, if you take care of your stuff and use a case, screen protector and you try intently not to drop it, I think the Black Tie from best buy if perfectly fine.

But thats just my take on it.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    man, mobile best buys would even be worse. they probably know that were all living in a fast paced culture and complaining or following through to make them accountable is time consuming and we can't do much about it. worse if we can't track them down and get their vendor number, supervisor, staff name. i hope when they go out it will be with shame.)

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    Its actually amusing to listen to them making up answers. One time I pretended like I knew nothing and asked them what makes the tablet screen respond to you. The sales dude went on and on about resistive capacity and whole strings of technical sounding words that made no sense. Sometimes you need to keep in mind that these are high school graduates.
    worse thing is when the store manager decides it's the customer's fault and denies accountability instead of investigate the situation. even remembering that manager's faces infuriates me.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    4 times
    I have personally had great experiences there. They've always taken returns no problem, even if it was just "Eh, don't want it anymore." and even do so within 90 days now (platinum rewardzone). 95% of their employees don't know what they're talking about, so I just do my research online before I go in, but I have had very good luck with their customer service. However, with my TF300, I chose to buy it through Amazon. My one issue with Best Buy is their warranty programs: they charge about double what they should (in my opinion) and, after one repair, the warranty is done and you have to buy a brand new policy (this was a big issue with my daughter's various iPods, until I just started buying separate policies from Apple). I still love the customer service at Best Buy, but buy my protection plans from Square Trade (including accidental user-inflicted damage), which is even cheaper if you buy it through Amazon for a product purchased through Amazon at the same time.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    1 times
    I bought mine at Microcenter in Sharonville Ohio- and the rep knew what he was talking about - went home and researched it online and it was what he said about the tablet that made me decide to buy a TF300 over the TF201.

My dock I bought from B&H Photo..

Best Buy for te most part has been good, I would hate to see them disappear here in Ohio..we bought a TV from there 6 years ago - it had a problem and they sent a repair guy over to our home to service it - never had another problem since then.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 9xhelix View Post
    Sorry this was your experience. I'll play devil's advocate to a degree (I agree with the poorly educated sales associates) as when i purchased my TF101 last August I purchased the 1-yr black tie warranty with it for $99. Come January it cracked and wouldn't power on, I took it in (without the box, cord, and a receipt I printed from my reward zone home page). They couldn't get it to work and said they'd simply replace it. They didn't have any 101s in stock so they said I could wait or if i wanted to pay the $30 difference between the 32gb 101 (the model I had) and the 32gb 201 they just got in stock they'd give me a the 201 and transfer my coverage to it to begin as though I'd just purchased it that day. Since then I've broken two 201 screens and each time my warranty covered it and they just replaced it. I had to purchase a new warranty after each one but the $99 for the coverage was preferable to the whole RMA process and the north of $250 Asus would have charged. So even though they are on a mismanaged downward spiral into bankruptcy, so long as their doors are open, they'll have my big box business over others here who all have spotty CS and poorly educated sales associates (HH Gregg, Microcenter, Fry's) .
    I have to agree with this. I've done the same with laptops at BB. Extended warranties are always a gamble, because you may not need them (like for my LG washer and dryer, got the 5-year, and they still havn't broken 8 years later! Got 4 years of annual maintenance and cleaning though!). But, if it's something I think can break easy or go to crap (laptop, tablet, PC components) I'll get the best warranty I can. And I'd say at least 50% of the time, I've needed the warranty and that alone paid for themselves and the other 50% that I never needed.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    5 times
    I also was gifted with mine thru best buy but had decided not to purchase insur right away. Glad i didnot and found this thread. Thsnks so much for the heads up.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hpfabe View Post
    I have personally had great experiences there. They've always taken returns no problem, even if it was just "Eh, don't want it anymore." and even do so within 90 days now (platinum rewardzone). 95% of their employees don't know what they're talking about, so I just do my research online before I go in, but I have had very good luck with their customer service. However, with my TF300, I chose to buy it through Amazon. My one issue with Best Buy is their warranty programs: they charge about double what they should (in my opinion) and, after one repair, the warranty is done and you have to buy a brand new policy (this was a big issue with my daughter's various iPods, until I just started buying separate policies from Apple). I still love the customer service at Best Buy, but buy my protection plans from Square Trade (including accidental user-inflicted damage), which is even cheaper if you buy it through Amazon for a product purchased through Amazon at the same time.
    Where did you get that from?

I've used their warranties regularly and read the warranty book from front to back (although I don't have it with me)....

On the last tablet I've used it on, I think it included 2 screen repairs (mine fell and shattered the glass, but I was still covered AFTER it was fixed..), or if it breaks down in three separate areas (like hard drive, screen, wifi problems..etc etc), then it gets filed as a "lemon" and you get a new one or your money back (something like that atleast).

I think it used to be a replacement warranty..I bought an iPod touch about 20 months ago, got the two year, lost the ipod and recently found it - hard drive failure. Bought it right in, and was given the option of a brand new one, or the purchase price in store credit (I took the store credit =)).

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF300T
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSoundOfItAll View Post
    Where did you get that from?

I've used their warranties regularly and read the warranty book from front to back (although I don't have it with me)....

On the last tablet I've used it on, I think it included 2 screen repairs (mine fell and shattered the glass, but I was still covered AFTER it was fixed..), or if it breaks down in three separate areas (like hard drive, screen, wifi problems..etc etc), then it gets filed as a "lemon" and you get a new one or your money back (something like that atleast).

I think it used to be a replacement warranty..I bought an iPod touch about 20 months ago, got the two year, lost the ipod and recently found it - hard drive failure. Bought it right in, and was given the option of a brand new one, or the purchase price in store credit (I took the store credit =)).
    Every single item that I've used the warranty on (various iPods, haven't used it on a computer or tablet), they sent it out to be repaired, then when it came back in they told me that the warranty was now done. If this is not correct and not the case, then great, but that's what the customer service people have told me every time, telling me I had to buy a new one.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hpfabe View Post
    Every single item that I've used the warranty on (various iPods, haven't used it on a computer or tablet), they sent it out to be repaired, then when it came back in they told me that the warranty was now done. If this is not correct and not the case, then great, but that's what the customer service people have told me every time, telling me I had to buy a new one.
    Be sure to read the little book included with the warranty. All the information I've got was in there,,,that's where it talked about the lemon policy, the screen repairs, etc.

I'm thinking it may depend on when you purchased it and which one it was.

The warranties use to be pretty great..they were the replacement kind, no questions asked (atleast in my experiences). Often it was exchanged for a new model...or purchase price. But it seems more recently theyve pushed "repairing it" - and my tablet was gone for 10 days to be fixed. No complaints about it, but I'm now trying square trade...three years (ipad) for less than best buys two year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links